Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ABC in trouble for Lesbian story

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with that Kelpelican, but I'm sure there are kids they do pick that up. Of course, alot of kids probably missed that comment, however, it doesn't change the fact that the ABC brought an issue forward that many parents may wish to deal with when they feel appropriate.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:48 pm

Joel, it's a gross exaggeration to say, "that doesn't give the ABC the right to shove the issue down a parents throat" when, as I understand it, it was just a comment by a child. Certainly not a pro-lesbian statement.

I think Kelpelican's post puts the issue into perspective.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:55 pm

Donny, the whole story was about the family and their child, it was not just one comment. What has the comment not being 'pro-lesbian' got to do with it? That's not the issue, the issue is that the ABC put on a story, on something that parents should have the right to deal with.
Kelpelican 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:04 pm

Joel
The story was about a family (one child and two mums) and a friend at an amusement park
My point was if you missed the "My two mums are tkaing me and my friend to the park" you wouldnt know
You would assume it was one mother and her child and another mother and her child in the park together
There was no body contact between the two mums or anything
If the story was about two mums with two children (friends neighbours whatever) no one would care
It was only one comment at the start that drew attention to the fact and I think most people would have missed the comment if it wasnt played on any news station or in the paper
Let alone a 3-4 year old actually realising what it said
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:23 pm

Fair enough mate, I completely understand the point. I really can't be bothered arguing the point any further.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:48 pm

Anyone who think kids dont pick up on these things obviosly dosnt have any of them. I have 2 of the little treasures and it was from an early age they started to ask questions about all sorts of stuff
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:49 pm

So who's got the problem then? Kids get exposed to all sorts of things at an early age and unfortunately parents sometimes cannot choose when the right age is to discuss things. It's up to us as parents to endeavour to prepared for the questions whenever they come.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:02 pm

Dark Beanie, the problem is Play School is a CHILDREN'S program. They don't need to be exposed to it at an early age.
Birdy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:16 pm

MAGFAN8 wrote:
This notion of kids being in moral danger because they may have 'two Mums' or 'two Dads' is absolute nonsense. It's well documented what incredible abuse can be and is inflicted on children by so called 'normal' couples.

There is evidence that shows that kids who are raised by a gay parent are much more likely to experiment with homosexual behaviour and also be more sexually promiscuous. Clearly there is moral danger.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:32 pm

Birdy wrote:
There is evidence that shows that kids who are raised by a gay parent are much more likely to experiment with homosexual behaviour and also be more sexually promiscuous. Clearly there is moral danger.

So hearing the line "I'm at the zoo with my two mums" (or something like that) also has the same effect?

Play School was pretty famous for its double entendres IIRC, are these to be 'censored' as well?
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:35 pm

I thought my inference was obvious but I'll make it a little clearer.

This notion of kids being in any more moral danger because they may have 'two Mums' or 'two Dads' as opposed to 'normal' parents is absolute nonsense.

Our prisons are full of inmates brought up by 'normal' parents. It's the quality of the parents that's important, not their sexual preferences.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:41 pm

So how does the child of a lesbian couple go to a father and son type event?
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:56 pm

Well, nuxta, I suppose they have the same problems as a child with a single Mum or a child with a disinterested Dad or one in jail.

Both those children have heterosexual parents but neither can go to a father and son event.

Then again, they could go to a father and son event if their Dad was the single parent (like me) or their Mum was in jail. My daughters can go to mother/daughter events if they desire, just like the child being parented by a lesbian couple can still have good contact with their father.

LeonMcS Virgo

Only one says Buckley on command...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:40 pm

As a father of 4 year old twin girls I have no problem with what Play School has done. My girls see a lot worse when we're shopping in the city, on the train or when dads driving on the freeway.
The topic of lesbianism (?, is that a word?) is not something that was dwelt on. Theres also been adoption, divorce...things that it doesnt hurt a kid to know about the concepts of. I mean this is play school, its not like their running a half hour current affair in depth special on the topic. Perhaps you'd like like your kids watching the half hour adverts for merchandise on the other networks? Two hours of cartoons on a weekend and I got a shopping list a mile long...
Most kids nowadays would be lucky to be in a situation where they have two loving parents. If it occured that their parents were the same sex, for whatever reason, and loved them unconditionally, then whats the problem? Teased by other kids at school? Which kids aren't being raised right?
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:08 am

mandy wrote:
Dude, my 8 year old daughter hasn't watched Play School for years. Perhaps if you gently start allowing her to view more age-related programs, the REAL WORLD won't be such a shock to her once you're "ready" to let her into it..... Confused

Exactly my point. Play School, or any other childrens program, is not the appropriate forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: