Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dermie....thinking about it maybe

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 1999 10:41 am
Post subject: Dermie....thinking about it maybeReply with quote

Call me a fairweather supporter, but I was not prepared to go all the way to Petrol Park on saturday, so I tuned into MMM like everyone else.......... I couldn't help but read between the lines while listening to Dermie's comments and I reckon he was pretty impressed by what he saw from the kids....for the first 3 quarters anyway.

Remember also that Dermie played alongside Sav during his most successful year when he was bustin' packs for him and Saturday's haul of 7.2 reminded him what Sav can be capable of.

I reckon the prospect of:
1. a large bunch of eager, talented kids like Wasley, Davis, Betheras etc..
2. The best player in the league, Bucks
3. Second tier guys in Burnsy, Willo, Browny
4. The Rocca brothers who can dominate in the air
and:
5. The first two picks in the next draft

All of a sudden the Pies are a very attractive proposition for a potential new coach.

Several media 'experts' on MMM were asked who was more attrasctive from a coaching point of view between Collingwood and Geelong and all of 'em went for the Pies.

------------------
Damien
eye 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 1999 3:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dermie's gonna coach!

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 7:40 am

Dermie as head coach, Gary Lyon as one of his assistants.....yes, that has a nice ring to it. What a sensational foundation on which to build a dynamic young coaching panel.

and another thing.....

Sav going in for his operation early, can only be interpreted as some sort of commitment to his future at the club. In which case the prospect of a fit Sav Rocca under the coaching tutelage of Dermott Brereton, one of the most influential forwards in the history of the game is a truly tantalising thought.

We have already seen the influence Dermie had on Sav when he played for the Pies. Lets hope it translates to coaching. It also could be just the spur that Anthony needs.

------------------
Damien
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 8:12 am

dermie should be our forward coach next year. i don't think we should risk appointing another first-year coach. if dermie was to be senior coach, then we'd need to put allan jeans as his assistant, because that's what he wants.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 1999 5:55 pm

Now, don't get me wrong. Dermott Brereton was a great player, no doubt about it. He is also a great media personality. BUT.... can we really afford to put another first-year coach at the helm? Whether it be him or Lyon.
Fair enough, next year we are "starting" fresh, young players with some old guns, but that's where it should stop.

We need an experienced person to take this young team to the next level. Maybe someone of the calibre of a Malthouse or Blight, not to say that it would be them, but we need a high-profile person who has been there before.

Maybe restructure the coaching staff and have Dermie or Lyon as an assistant for 2-3 years, not just throw them in the deep end. This is what got us in this situation in the first place!

Dermie or Lyon could come in as a forward coach, we all know that Sav had his best year with Dermie next to him, then maybe bring him up.

But now is the time, we need to have a structure with SOLID foundation.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 1999 2:27 am

I do not disagree with you and I have already mentioned in earlier postings the benefit in having an old head to guide some of the kids, however it is looking more and more unlikely everyday that any of 'em will be available with the possible exception of Mick Malthouse if the Eagles drop off between now and the end of the year. In which case I reckon Dermie is the best of the untried guys. Gary Lyon is only 31 and needs an apprenticeship.

------------------
Damien
eye 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 1999 11:59 am

I belive the only reason why Sav had a good year whilst dermie was there was because Dermie actually put his body in and diverted some attention away from Sav. Not necessarily just that he spured Sav on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: