Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

SOCIETY VALUES AND COLLINGWOOD

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:09 pm
Post subject: SOCIETY VALUES AND COLLINGWOODReply with quote

Today I was thinking to myself the reason why so many peole hate Collingwood. The hate is envy right therefore that envy of some one who hates Collingwood is saying something about themselves.
If they are envyous of our great club Collingwood then it not only says something about them as a person but society in general.
But I only notice this type of envy or hate for Collingwood in Melbourne. Having lived in Sydney for 5 years during high scholl years i didn't feel there was any envy/hate for Ccollingwood. And yes I did go to school with 2 essendon, 4 swans and 1 hawthorn supporters who were my best mates from school. Therefore Melbourne must be where this envy/ hate occurs the most.

GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD UNITED FOREVER AND EVER AMEN GOD BLESS THEM ALL

timagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I should rephrase that the carlscum,essenscum and richscum supporters are envyous/hate COLLINGWOOD. Which means they are saying something about themselves. And I have one thing to say to those supporters and that is "go and get a life"!
Also did anyone notice that hit and miss heral sun fans survey on the front page in todays edition. They ranked Collingwood in 5th in the overall survey. Sydney 1st: one team town essendon 2nd: obivously there would be bandwagoners after a premeirship adelaide 3rd: simlar to the sydney situation two team town and west coast 4th: simlar again to sydney and adleadie two team town. Which make Collingwood 5th: unrivalled army of supporters consisdering the amount of sucess we have had in the past 5 years. I would say there would be alot of envy amonst carlton and richmond supporters now. The survey was just a cold canvass type.

GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD UNITED FOREVER AND EVER AMEN GOD BLESS THEM ALL

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:12 pm

The credibility of the Herald Sun is absolutely zilch on any topic. And I would take their survey with a giant grain of salt.

I suppose it stands to reason that Sydney Swans, being the only club based in Australia's largest city, would have a numerical superiority over other clubs.

But I think there's a big difference between QUANTITY of support, as distinct from QUALITY of support. I lived in Sydney for 3 and a half years from 1982 to 1985 (the very early years of the Swans) and nobody I knew gave a rat's arse about them. I also attended several Rugby League matches while I lived there and I was amazed at how low-key the atmosphere was. It was like going to a picnic. I rapidly came to the conclusion that Sydney-siders really don't have the same passion for sport that people from Melbourne (or even my city of origin, Adelaide) have.

Melbourne people are amazing when it comes to sport. They will turn up in their droves to watch a tiddlywinks championship. And, as for Rugby League, Melbourne actually held the Australian record for the biggest crowd after pulling 80,000 to a State-of-Origin N.S.W. v Queensland match. (I think that record was broken a couple of years back when Stadium Australia opened, but even so ... ) I'm pretty sure we also hold the Australian record for a soccer crowd, a cricket crowd ... and possibly even Rugby Union. Our old suburban V.F.L. competition, prior to the national league, was capable of attracting 90,000 plus to a home-and-away match on occasions. And, of course, the Melbourne Cup always attracts around 100,000.

Compared to that, Sydney people really don't give a toss about sport. I guess they tend to be more into participation sports, like surfing, yachting, sailboarding and puppetry of the penis. I suppose the Swans were a bit fashionable for a while during the halcyon days of Plugger, but you won't find very many of their supporters who will bleed for their club like we do.

I really don't care if they've got more barrackers than us.

I prefer QUALITY to QUANTITY.

**floreat pica**

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:33 pm

I saw that story. Must be a ssssslllllllooooooowwwwwwwwwwww news day in Oz.

If the Swans have 3 zillion fans, how come only 15,000 go to the game??????

They are about as useful to Sydney as I am to the pies being stuck overhere!

On your points Alf, I always thought that Melbourne people turned up to sport cos there was stuff all else to do!!!

I lived in Sydney in 91 and went to a Rugby League game or two. The atmosphere was as you described Alf, DEAD!

On the flip side, I suppose Melbourne Storm is the most popular Rugby League club in the land!

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:35 pm

it is true but we do seem to have more morons amongst our supporters just as dees have their landrovers and carlton have their arrogant diks

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:59 pm

TIMAGPIE
check your private message box mate and get back to me ok.

WE MARCH WITH PRIDE,WE MARCH WITH LOVE,WHEN IT COMES TO OUR COLLINGWOOD WE FOREVER MARCH ! we will never forget our great number #42...GO YOU BLOODY PIES yeaaah LETS KICK ASS.lets kill the bloody bastards !!
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 4:47 am

An interesting fact about the article in the Herald Sun is that they only surveyed 25,000 people to get these figures.
I'm not that bright but it doesn't add up to me.
Julee

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 7:17 am

Stik35/Julee,

25,000 is a huge amount of people to survey. If you look at the Australian bureau of statistics own criteria, to get an accurate protrayal of the australian population you only have to survey about 3000-4000 people. They have studied this and found it to be very accurate.
On the other hand with something like football, its a lot more subjective as a lot of people have no opinion at all and dont even follow the game, so its hard to get an accurate result.
We have to be aware that it will take us a few years to get to where essenscum are. People think that the sucess that they are having off the feild (profit, support etc) is only a recent thing, but if you trace it back it goes back many years to the mid 80's when Sheedy made it his job to travel the country promoting the club and getting people to support them by marketing the club himself (just look at what he did with the aborigional community). I also beleive that Essendons increased support over the last 15 years is very much due to their move from Windy Hill to the MCG where more people could walk up and get a seat. Whilst I love the place with all my heart, our procrastination and determination to continue to play games at Vic Park has set the club 10 years behind essendon and restricted the amount of people who come to see us play. People began to support clubs that they could go watch each week in comfort.
Given that we are now at the G and essenscum have moved to Colonial, just watch the situation reverse. I remember a few years back when we were appraoched to be the #1 tenant at Colonial(before essenscum were) John May the CEO at the time explained to all those at a pre match function as to why we didnt go to colonial. He said that Essenscum would eventually be resticted in the amount of members they could sign up to about 40,000. Whereas at the G we could sign and seat up to 55,000 members. Once essendons membership goes into a waiting list mode, people will jump off them with amazing speed and start to go watch and support other clubs who play at the G cause they know they can get in.
I would suggest that whilst we are going great guns off the feild (All due to Eddie and his team, I beleive) it will take us a few more years to catch up to them in both improving our suppoter base and profits to the $1million mark like them, but once we do, we will go past them so far and so fast, it will be Collingwood and then daylight. But once again this also relies on continued success and winning on the feild and it looks like Malthouse is doing the right thing there.

Our futrure is so bright, they should start issuing sunnies with every seasons ticket!!!!

Cheers

[This message has been edited by dillo_09 (edited 07 June 2001).]
afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 7:38 am

Sydney supporters are by and large typified by the "Nicole Kidmans" of this world. "I support Sydney because the surgeon who fixed my knee fixed the knees of the Sydney's players, so I guess I barrack for Sydney".
So of the 1.2 mill in the herald sun, about 1.1 mill would use the same type of bullsh*t affiliation, So they can go and get stuffed.
Another question if they really have twice as many supporters of the pies why are they only getting 24,000 per match, they should fill stadium Australia every week, and they would need a membership package to allow attendance at training

Id Like To See That

Millane42 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 7:55 am

Hey AlfAndrews you are right - the survey does not mean much in the context of a "supported" club. Because Sydney has the largest population of any city, therefore will have a high number of "responses" in a survey. Also because Sydney has been an underdog trying to break into a rugby dominated market, and through the lean years they have been a "second favourite team" of many people. Therefore more "responses". However, I find the credibility of such a survey as laughable - to put the swans ahead of the pies, bombers and even the crows.

Also, Sydney people LOVE their sport as much as anyone, it's just that they do not attend league games (boring as hell), rugby is slightly more popular (but only at super 12/international level), cricket gets great crowds, the swans do alright, but there are many options such as surfing, sailing, a few soccer games here or there - and of course TV stops people going to venues. There is no comparison here to victoria, who really know how to GO to sporting venues and support.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 10:25 am

Survey's are BS. There are so many different things that can affect the end results of a survey. I don't listen to ANY surveys any more. By the way, I was talking to an Essendon supporter that thought it was crap aswell (the Herald Sun article) and they supposedly have the 1nd most support. Oh yeah this all when the other teams have max 2 teams in their state. What a load of crap!!

Insert Creative signature <HERE>
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 12:24 pm

Nope,
i thing is, i bet when they asked people "what AFL team do you support?"...They would say "OH im from Sydney, so I will say the Sydney Ducks...what?...ohh i mean Swans!

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:10 pm

just a quick point regarding the numbers at the SCG at a Sydney game, almost always the game is broadcast live on a saturday or sunday which would probably contribute to the lack of numbers.(?)

or maybe it is just the lack of real supporters?

Carol

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:17 pm

On that basis ck-nd carlton and collingwood (who have according to the herald sun have the same number of combined members as the swans have alone ), would attract 24,000 to a game at the G if it was broadcast live !!!!!!
Nah. . . . I think you should stick to your second comment

ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:48 pm

so how come they aren't broadcasting mondays game live?

do you think that crowd numbers would go down considerably if games were broadcast live?

Just wondering...

Carol

(and yes I am sticking to point two with respect to my previous post regarding Sydney supporters.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: