Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Please Stay Faithful PIES

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biodave 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 7:36 pm
Post subject: Please Stay Faithful PIESReply with quote

Hey brothers and sisters…

All this recent passion from the likes of incredible blokes like Joffa and a recent personal experience has struck a very deep chord with me.

Last week, I visited Vic Park/ McHale Stadium for the first time in my life. Even more incredibly, I arrived with the intention of purchasing my first ever membership. Now a lot of you would probably cringe at this stage and roll your eyes, “here’s another fairweather supporter” -And I really do feel gutless saying this, but I THINK I can justify my DISLOYALTY. I’m a migrant, of asian background and I first started “barracking” for the pies in grade one. Now it’s probably too obvious to point out that asians in general do not “assimilate” too well with Australia’s culture, but as a kid, I remember being mystified with the game the Westerners called “foot-ball.” In fact, it was the first sport I played growing up and I loved it. My cousin, who also seemed to share the selfsame inborn, gut feeling as I did, introduced me to the GREAT TEAM and I would continue to follow them on and off through the years. As a teenager, one aspect that I really admired about Collingwood would be the supporters. YOU GUYS were an absolute inspiration during the period when Shaw was coach. I remember how everything that was going wrong on field was exacerbated by that off field. If the team being down was bad enough, collingwood’s fans were made a mockery of. I really felt indignant at that point and ever since then I’ve wanted to truly and officially support the club by helping them out with membership. But frustratingly, as typical of most asian, tightarse parents out there LOL(I still love’em tho) they discouraged me from the GREAT GAME and told me to invest my money elsewhere. But that, along with my genuine belief in Collingwood being not only a team of CHAMPIONS, but also a FAMILY of true, bona fide supporters from all walks of life inspired me to stick it up them last Friday. So with money in hand, I was determined to JUST DROP BY VIC PARK on my way to Friday nite tutorials. I swear, I was beaming ALL THE WAY, like a child with his lolly pop; and as Joffa would say PURE GOLD PURE ….. EN GOLD I was that overwhelmed people. I tell you, there is not a feeling quite like it- I reckon I was close to tears.

After having been discouraged from the game by my parents time and time again, I really do feel as though a great burden has been unladed from my chest. I’m feeling a lot of things right now, but one thing I can’t express is pride. How could I, after all those years of enjoyment THE CLUB has provided me. If anything, I’m now filled with a sense of overweening, unmitigated gratitude. And in response, the least I can do is to begin a life long, membership-based dedication to Collingwood- which in my view- is the HOME OF FAITHFULS.

Im sorry guys this post is goin nowhere and im not making much sense…I was sort of just telling it from the heart.

bless their courageous hearts

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go, Biodave.
I hope everybody who has the money (it's only $125, I think, for the cheapest membership - a season ticket) becomes a member of the mighty Pies. It's a great feeling being a part of such a fantastic supporter base and club spirit (like no other AFL team). So come on everyone - put your money where your mouth is!!!

rash 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:08 am

biodave

I think that your thread should be sent to every Collingwood supporter in the land that doesn't have a membership. If that doesn't make you want to buy a membership nothing will. Ever thought of pursuing a career in marketing?

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:36 am

hey biodave, I can understand where you’re coming from because I’m also from an asian background, and a mad Pie fan. When I first came to Aust in 1984, the first footy match I saw on TV was the preliminary final between the Bombers and the Pies. The Pies were of course being flogged but I didn’t know what was happening and actually thought that they were playing well! So when I first started Grade 4 the next week and someone invariably asked me who I barracked for, I replied Collingwood. It was also helped by the fact that the majority of the school I attended also supported the Pies!! But mate, once you get that black and white in your blood, it’s there for life!!

Yeah, it’s true that typical Asian parents would encourage study on the weekends rather than any kinds of sports – but luckily my parents tolerated my love of the Pies as long as my school work didn’t suffer. So while I always did quite well at school and uni, nothing would stop me from going with some mates to Vic Park and standing in the freezing cold behind the goals when the mighty Pies played. And that crap about Vic Park being a racist place is rubbish. Of all the times that I stood in the area where, supposedly, all the rough nuts were, not one time was I racially slurred or abused. Sure you get your idiots, but you get that with all club’s supporters. Quite the opposite was true. I'm quite a vertically challenged person and one time, in a game that was packed out, this HUGE, “mean looking” Pie supporter turned around to look at me and I thought, “here we go”. But he just said, “can you see alright, mate” and actually moved aside a little so that I could watch the action a little better. There’s a line for that isn’t there? It goes something like “side by side we stick together…..”

I've been a member for the past 10 years and I’m now a Legends member. I love my footy and I decided to get the top C’wood membership because I want to ensure that the Pies get as much money as they can. A lot of people bag social club members but let me tell you that the section I sit with are as passionate and one eyed as they come, and I’ve never heard anyone really abuse any Pie players. They might cheer only when the team gets on a roll, but that just goes to show that there are all sorts of supporters – some are loud, some are quiet. One is no less passionate than the other. I was in the social club a few weeks ago having some lunch, and an old timer was next to me who didn’t have a seat, and was forced to stand up to have his lunch. I unhesitatingly gave up my seat. C’wood does that to you – no matter your background, social status, creed or colour. Side by side we stick together, no matter what.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:04 am

BIODAVE
We hear you brother
what a fantastic post to read i've got goosebumps look i know where you are comming from some people just dont understand what this club means to us, besides our immediate family collingwood is the next biggest thing in our lives not a day goes by when at some stage we dont think about collingwood...LOL usually when first waking up the first thought to mind is i wonder if we can win this weekend.

As a child i grew up in the slum areas of melbourne we were poorer than church mice so the expression goes,but we had our collingwood and i tell ya now there was no happier family on a saturday night when collingwood were victors.

But if collingwood lost dear ole mum would crack the shits chronic and im afraid it would be a bowl of half warm soup while she would be in the bedroom sulking.

And dear old dad bless his soul would be shit scared of her,one funny memory was when collingwood got beat in a final we were young at the time and probably didnt have the money to go so we were down at the local scout hall listening to it on radio with dad while he was getting pissed as a mute...well collingwood got thrashed and on the way home dad told us when we get to the corner of our street we were to carry him to the house and put him to bed cause he knew mum would be absolutely pshyco and she was...so it was the seven of us were in bed by 6pm to shit scared to make a noise.....

Any way biodave im pleased that your so happy to become a member
and i like your passion i found it uplifting thats the passion that has carried this club through it's proud history im in love with everything collingwood just like you and you know what we would not want it any other way...

Mate make yourself known at the next collingwood game if you ever want to sit with us in the cheersquad you are indeed most welcome any time at all.

WE MARCH WITH PRIDE,WE MARCH WITH LOVE,WHEN IT COMES TO OUR COLLINGWOOD WE FOREVER MARCH ! we will never forget our great number #42...GO YOU BLOODY PIES yeaaah LETS KICK ASS.lets kill the bloody bastards !!
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

[This message has been edited by magpie joffa (edited 06 June 2001).]

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:12 am

JUNKBOY

I just read your post and it was a ripper this is just great stuff.
PIES 4 EVER.

WE MARCH WITH PRIDE,WE MARCH WITH LOVE,WHEN IT COMES TO OUR COLLINGWOOD WE FOREVER MARCH ! we will never forget our great number #42...GO YOU BLOODY PIES yeaaah LETS KICK ASS.lets kill the bloody bastards !!
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:30 am

thanks joffa. love your post as well.
BTW, even though it didn't come on against Sydney, I love your "golden mullet"

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
Scottie Davo 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:08 am

biodave and junkboy75,

Sensational stuff, i won't get into a long winded endordement of the two posts you blokes have just read but let me tell you this-you have just tipped me over into deciding to come down for the Monday match from Sydney.

**** it-why not.

Where will all you clowns be and I will meet up with ya.

E-mail me someone's mobile number so I can meet up prior to the match.

Let's go.

scottiecollingwood@hotmail.com

In my blood...and off my head.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:25 am

what a ripper of a thread. this is fantastic to read.

JBJ 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:48 am

Goosebumps, tears, goosebumps, tears, goosebumps, tears!!!!
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:16 pm

Biodave,
Great post mate !
It's true with footy - there are no boundaries and no multicultural segmentation. We are one (I'm talking about the Collingwood Football Club. Who gives a rat's clacker about the others...I'm going off the track again....). Anyway, I keeping on harping about it, but nothing's better than being a member of something that you beleive in. Need I say more ?

timagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:39 pm

BIODAVE WELCOME TO THE FAMILY.
WE AT COLLINGWOOD ARE ALL FAMILY.
BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF ONE. ALL AS ONE.

GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD UNITED FOREVER AND EVER AMEN GOD BLESS THEM ALL

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 6:33 pm

Biodave & Junkboy75

Fabulous sentiments....... That's what Collingwood is all about.... Welcome to the fold to both of you....

BE LOUD.....BE PROUD

biodave 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 7:53 am

yeh great post junkboy and joffa. It's a real comfort to know there are others that have been in the same situation. And inevitably it can only be described, in a sense, as 'family.' People who have been through the periods of joy and adversity together find themselves attatched; those are truly the close bonds which keep a family united and strong. Such is the case with the Collingwood Football Club

(and joffa, thats an irresistable offer; I hope I can meet all of you guys soon.)

But yeh, for those who are still weighing up your choices, I'd advise you to become a member as soon as possible. As Clemo put it, "nothing's better than being a member of something that you beleive in." And its just such a great feeling. So put your money where your HEART is people

bless their courageous hearts

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 3:58 pm

Junkyboy,

Your post was fantastic too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: