Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Depression

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:30 pm
Post subject: DepressionReply with quote

There has been alot about this on tele and stuff lately, so I want to put a little topic up about this illness. I have had two people in my life (that I know off!) who have depression. One is my Dad and the other is a very close friend.

I dont know all the ins and outs of it, the place to know about that is www.beyondblue.com.au

I do know that these people deserve our support and its a bitch of a thing. I havent had it, but two of the closest people to me do and from the outside its really difficult to understand.

Please, if you think someone is acting a bit different, not going out, tired, bad sleeping patterns, etc, please check out www.beyondblue.com.au

Theres no shame in being diagnosed, the illness can be managed with medication, and alot of people still live 'normal' lives. I say 'normal' because what is normal!?! Not going there in this discussion!

If you think someone u know has depression or you think they do, please check out that website and just yeah check it out. Its a bitch of a thing, and it ruins lives, but if more people know about it and the services around then maybe we can make the lives of suffers a little bit better.

BTW, feel free to elaborate on your experiences if you want in this forum!

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:36 am
Post subject: Re: DepressionReply with quote

Tarrant In the Pocket wrote:

Theres no shame in being diagnosed, the illness can be managed with medication, and alot of people still live 'normal' lives.

I guess that's the dilemma. To be normal. Or to be myself.

I've just been to the site you suggested and done the checklist/tests. And there's not much doubt that I suffer depression.

I sort of knew that anyway.

But I've always been reluctant to seek treatment because I don't want to go down the route of medication.

I may be a miserable bastard a lot of the time ... but at least I'm me. And I'm glad that I'm me, in spite of it all.

I've seen the effects of medication on people, and I tend to think I'd rather be depressed than doped to the eyeballs. And that's because, in between my miserable moods, I actually do some great creative stuff.

I fear that medication would blot out that creative part of me. It's just too important to me to take the risk.

But having said that, I'm finding the burden of depression getting harder and harder to deal with. I find the world an extremely hostile place. Which also means that I see the psychiatric profession in the same light.

I just don't reckon I'm quite ready yet to put my trust in the men in white coats and their arsenal of pills and potions.

I really just don't trust them.

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there too

Went to the site a few months ago so that i could do the tests. and it clearly stated that i suffer from depression

But like Dr Alf i havnt seeked treated either. not for the same reasons, but because im scared of what they will say

I pretty much know that i am depressed, but no one around has much of an idea. (my mother has seen a few hints) I keep eveything inside and tend to break down when i'm alone

i havnt told anyone any of this before, but i feel free to say it here because you guys dont really know me, and no one knows anyone that i personaly know.

i cant imagine how it would be if anyone around me found out. i know that on the outside they would support me, but its the way that i beleive i'll get looked at that frightens me

i know no one will mean to, but i can see them all looking at me strangly and thinking to themselves "whats wrong? is it something we've done? have we contributed to him going mad?

and i dont want that. i also dont want to put people in the position where they dont know what to say to me. where on here eveyone can now find out, but if they dont want to say anything they dont have to, and wont make me feel bad

Fantastic idea for a topic Taz In Pocket!

Thankyou, you dont know how good it feels to get that off your back for the first time
DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:46 pm

Hey guys,

I know we have had our differences in the past alf, and thats life, but in this case im with you.

Gobbles, check out the site mate. Like i say theres no such thing as normal, and honestly, if your mates dont accept you then that says something for them.

Read up on it guys, and just get checked out hey? At the end of the day, its you who will feel the difference.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm

How do people usually respond to that? Typical, average, usual, ordinary or expected. Sorry I don't have access to that document.
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:41 pm

It's very ironic to see this post after the weekend for me as depression is something I've had to battle on and off for nearly 20 years.

As some of my posts have demonstrated since Sat night there's been some depression-fueled anger coming out in me and directed at other posters beacuse of their opinions.

Depression is such a hard thing to categorise, but I do know that unfortunately, I am one of those souls that happens to 'feel' things a bit more than what appears to be normal, and do get pissed off with much of the injustice and BS in the world and at people's failure to see what I can see. Following Collingwood is obviously a natural extension for someone like me.

When you take things on board that affect your day to day motivation and general functioning, then I guess you have to concede you have a problem. And I'm not just talking about football and politics.

How you value yourself, your self esteem is the crux of it I think. When you feel good about what you're doing with your life and, more importantly for others, then I think that can go a long way to countering much of the 'darkness'.

At the end of the day, it's surprising how many people these days are actually able to empathise with someone who has the courage to come out and say, I have a problem and I'd like to talk to someone about it. On the surface, many apparent 'successful' people have their own demons themselves. So to gobbles21, just go for it man and you'll possibly be surprised at the feedback you receive.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:42 pm

How specifically do I make you guess you have to concede you have a problemMike programmed me to say specific things in specific contexts.
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:45 am

I guess i did suffer self absorbed depression due to peer pressure and dictation from society, but then i started to live life my way, no mortgage, no more BAS statements to fill in, relaxed life style (im broke now-but loving it) and 99% law abididng.

but those who are suffering its best not to drink caffeine, try herbal tea, put a smile on your dial (easier said than done) 'get a pet-great companion' and buy yourself a book on jokes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: