Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Wakelin

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:12 pm
Post subject: WakelinReply with quote

I thinks its time Collingwood should consider Ben Kinnear as a possible third string defender for the second half of the year.
Wakelins half dozen games have been riddled with costly errors
and I'am certainly one for giving a bloke a chance,but I think its becoming costly.Today against Melbourne,Neitz simple couldnt convert. In the spirit of 'giving a bloke a chance' , i think Kinnear should be looked at, as his VFL form suggests he has improved leaps and bounds this year and is more of a long term option then Wakelin.

Just my thoughts after today's great win.

Louis

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to get into the bagging of wakelin, as he was good early (although recently he does seem to create a few oppotunities for the opposition), but I certainly would support giving Kinnear ago. Last year he was great when given a chance , and I cant believe the limited chances that he has been given this year. He a good contested mark, deceptively quick, and a reliable kick.
Give im a go

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 8:23 pm

I always reckon Wakelin looks a bit too small to be standing key opposition forwards. Is he really a key position player?

**floreat pica**

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 10:36 am

I agree with ya Alf totally in your opinion of Kinnears Strengths. As for Wakelin, i think he has been used because he tends to create some run out of the back for us but one on one he does give some height and weight away to opponents. As good as he was early his form has dipped and looks totally out of sorts. I think its also an opportunity for Kinnear who has been with us for years to stand up and be counted.MM should give him 12 uninterrupted weeks this year and say prove yourself boy.capitalize on your good VFL form.

Louis

Spongo 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 8:29 am

As much as I am in favor of Kinnear getting a run, I believe that wakelin has been terrific this year. True, he was not the man for neitz, and Kinnear probably would have been. But Wakelin provides leadeship and experience to a very young backline. Apart from the Melbourne game, where I think he was mismatched (ie not his fault) he hasn't really been beaten as a defender. Kinnear has all of the attributes you mentioned but can get panicky and turn the ball over. Wakelin also can, but rarely does, play up forward and pinch hit in the ruck if he has to.

Millane42 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 8:54 am

I agree Spongo - Wakelin is class, a great recruit and adds real depth with run, aggression and he can be put up forward to kick goals, although has yet to do so.

ytry4 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 9:25 am

How many times has he created run off the halfback line? It seems to me that he gets tackled before being able to pinpoint a target... He was pretty good at the start, but he appears to be too slow for most forwards.

Collingwood Forever
----------------------
BLACK & WHITE
http://users.tpg.com.au/pie4eva/

Broadie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 5:29 am

Don't be hard on Wakes. He's been great for most of this year and one of the reasons why we're 3rd in the least points conceded this year.

Just remember the trot Presti had on the bench a few rounds ago, and look at how he's responded.

Broadie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: