Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gettinng a PSD recruit!!!Science or a numbers game??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pants & Rowdy 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:26 am
Post subject: Gettinng a PSD recruit!!!Science or a numbers game??Reply with quote

Geez, either Iam entering my fourth decade in this lifetime a little deluded or somewhat stuck in the time warp where playing for Collingwood, and wanting to play for Collingwood, was a unique honour.

Now if I was a Collingwood recruitment officer I'd be a little red faced and somewhat constipated right now. I mean we have just about stuck an offer in way or another to half the uncontracted players who have breathed in the last two months which essentially has resulted in next to nothing. Yes Iam one of the few who think Caracella is nada!!!nuthin!!

Sure we gotta be in it to win it, as the old Tattersalls slogan will have you believe but it's been so long since we roped in a 'name' that I basically cant remeber if we played the numbers game as we are doing at the minute or the player actually was schmmozed into the mystique of playing with Collingwood, obviously a somewhat sweeter approach.

Woey was offloaded, Obree kinda wanted to come but he would have gone to any Melb club, and circumstances meant he come our way !!...Clement, Holland were just about finished at Freo...Holy slap in the face Batman, do I need to go back as far as Bucks as our last example of any sort of an example of a recruiting coup??...

For humanity's sake, Corrie??who the hell is Corrie and why the hell would he knock us back!!??...Its embarrasing this 10 gamer or whatever he is does not want a sniff of us..Damn even Mcgrath!! but Corrie stinks??Are we desperate to the point where we are approaching anyone?
With the cats getting Ottens(who we kinda had a sniff at),Thomson to the Kanga's.etc etc are we in danger of becoming a generation of ,in recruitment terms , beggars.??Hell we are Collingwood we should not have to beg...!!

The reality is that we couldnt recruit a lady of pleasure for the lexus centre pleasure dome if we had one in operation !!!Although that could be an idea for the Eddie!!Something Judkins could fine tune his skills with.

Heads up lads!!

Never Forget the #42
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite simple why Corrie knocked us back. 2 reasons - one is money and the other is dollars. Until the Vatican/Kremlin (never admit fallibility) brings Wayne Jackson's love child to heel, Fitzroy-With-Money will always outbid us.

Carcella or Zantuck may not be Roos and Lockett, but they are name players who could help an already strong team. Also, apart from McGough we haven't lost much this year. So we can still do some damage.

This Club has had a decade of bad recruiting, only 4 years ago we turned that around. There is still much work to be done, and still some terrible mistakes - Stevens, Danny Roach. But compare this to the good old days of Frankie Raso and Jason Wild. Or even the more interesting times of Peter Eakins and clearing Tuddenham rather than pay him.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:07 am

lol good stuff reg
The Collingwood Turtle Libra

Side by Side, through good times & bad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Whilst Balmey is still in charge, we can be satisfied that Darren Hulme or Tim Fleming will be wearing Black & White next year.

By don't worry maybe Balmey might pull of a smokey and we'll end up with Fraser Gherig Rolling Eyes
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:44 pm
Post subject: FFS!Reply with quote

We got Buckley on a pre set deal for his transfer. We got Rocca on a reasonable deal but we had a long wait for any payoff. Big names cost big in a competitive market. Most don’t end up warranting the cost when all is said and done. There have been two clubs who provide regular exceptions - Sydney and Brisbane. They have two advantages. They can offer more money and they are in non competitive markets.

The reality is big names don’t often cross to Vic clubs. When they do, how many are good value? List them all if you like.

This last pre season Ottens has changed clubs. He cost a packet and he’s barely played a good game since 2001. In that time we’ve lost 2 grand finals and finished 13. That’s a long time and a lot of water under the bridge since he was worth half his salary let alone trade price. The next highest profile was probably Thompson. A bloke with depression and one of the players who has let Hawthorn down since 2001. Yet he cost 2 good draft picks and commands a high salary.

I'm sick of people whinging about us not getting names. If these people ever stand for election with a trading for names platform I will stand against them. We’ve been there before. Remember the New Magpies? Chasing names is what sent our club to the wall and had us on our knees for a decade. We then won a grand final with the basis of the 1986 U19 premiership side plus some well drafted players supplemented by a couple of good trades.

The current system doesn’t facilitate Victorian clubs getting profile players. When they do move they cost heaps in trade price and salary cap. The future for us is not chasing names it's drafting well and getting Clements. If we could get a gun for McGough,. McKee, Williams and O'Bree then I'd be all for it. The fact is we can’t. We'd have to delist those players and trade Fraser, Didak and a draft choice for an Ottens either directly or via multiple deals to upgrade draft picks.

Next time someone complains about profile deals not going through can they please include the proposed deal that the opposition club(s) would accept so the whinge can be properly assessed rather than have to listen to then knee jerk hear hears by the masses ringing out without thought.

As for the PSD, do people realise we have pick 4 and not pick 1? All we can offer a prospective player is a pay rate. We can’t promise him we will be the ones paying it. A player who nominates has to get past 3 clubs who have salary cap space and are crying out for talent. The Dog's have a cheap list as at the best of times. Richmond have cleared Ottens and Gaspar has taken a cut. Last year they offloaded Holland. Sure they are broke but they are underwritten by the AFL. How the hell did they get Brown with their bank balance? They don’t care. They pay it and then hold their hands out. We act responsibly and fund half the Victorian clubs. This is the competition we are competing in. Hawthorn have had a few retirements and traded Thompson.

How the hell is a player we want for anything remotely like a reasonable price going to get through those 3 before we get a crack? How can we say to a player, nominate for $400k and we'll take you. Just ignore the 3 desperate clubs with picks before us.

Honestly some of our supporters live in Disney Land. The real world doesn’t work like in your fantasies. If we want a player we have to give up plenty. Christ, people squeal like pigs when we delist Shakleton, Mullins and McGough. What they hell will they when we trade Fraser, Didak and pick 10?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:49 pm

But not all of them? I think that happens quite often. Some people might consider we can’t We'd have to delist those players and trade Fraser Didak and a draft choice for to be one. Carefully. Fine as far as I know. Jesus died for our sins.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:58 pm

No he didn't.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:04 pm

Why don't we just get Barlow then everyone would be happy.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Why can't we win over players? Is it the coaching staff? The lack of success since 1950? The players? I'm not sure, but almost everyone doesn't want to go to Collingwood. Now we see all the recruiting managers using Collingwood's name, trying to bump up the prices. Its getting bloody annoying, and time we landed a few 'name' players. Woey was a given, as was O'Bree - although it could be argued if he really was a big name. Rocca and Buckley wanted to come to us. How come no one does any more?
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:28 pm

Nick Stevens wanted to come ... Chocco blocked it !!!
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:45 pm

FMD Johnno, it isn't just a matter of winning over players. We won Stevens over but were not prepared to pay the trade price. We supposedly won Everitt over with the same problem. We obviously won Morrison over. He’s not one I would target but we paid pick 7 and a player we would delist anyway and got Morrison and pick 10. They may ultimately cost us a superstar, it might net us the same player so Morrison was a freebie or it may save us drafting a complete dud and put us a mile in front. I guess we'll never know but meanwhile we get complaints about giving up pick 7 all over the shop.

Who exactly do you wish we had won over that we haven't and what would you pay that his club would accept or how would we have snagged him in the PSD at 4 given who else is available for the 3 preceding clubs? I wouldn’t have minded Smith myself but we couldn’t trade because Hawthorn wanted early draft picks - would you give up 7 for him? So how could we have guaranteed him he wouldn’t end up at Richmond via the PSD? We couldn’t. Of course he stayed – would you risk being a Richmond player? Apply the same analysis to whoever. About all we could do was get the player to put $500k on his head and hope no one else had the cap space or could create it, while we were able to create and pay him that for 2 years minimum and also not upset the rest of the list on well under $500k. I don’t mind spending money but some sanity has to prevail. It’s Smith not a 26 year old Carey we were looking at.

I’m not for a moment saying we have a good trade record but some reality needs to be injected into these discussions.
The Collingwood Turtle Libra

Side by Side, through good times & bad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:32 pm
Post subject: WAKE UP !Reply with quote

Our inability to land players (for whatever reason) consistently over the years is systematic of why we have won only one premiership in 40+ years & continue to lose GF's.

Apathy from supporters and admistrators alike allows us to accept 2nd best or believe we were unlucky/robbed etc.

Bottom line as a sporting club we are number one in terms of all off field pursuits, but the core facet ............ winning premiership were are grossly inept.

I bet in ten years time when we remain in hope of flag our 15th flag, the same types of excuses will come up again.

I pray that I'm horribly wrong, but history says otherwise.
deck Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:58 pm

If people really have a look you will notice that most the players that have been linked with us this year were never going to leave there club. It has nothing to do with a inability to talk players leaving a club they are happy with. If you had played at a club for 6 or 7 years and had a great bonding with your teammates you would be hesitant to leave and start over again with new people around you. Of course there are different situation where people want to go home or players who want to live there childhood dream of playing for the club they grew up supporting. Most players are happy where they are and aren't going to leave over $50,000 that isn't that much considering what the average wage is as is usually the difference in wages being offered.
Pants & Rowdy 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Post subject: Re: FFS!Reply with quote

MarkT wrote:

Honestly some of our supporters live in Disney Land. The real world doesn’t work like in your fantasies. If we want a player we have to give up plenty. Christ, people squeal like pigs when we delist Shakleton, Mullins and McGough. What they hell will they when we trade Fraser, Didak and pick 10?

We are all aware of the idiosyncracies involved in attracting players and know that its an involved process and appreciate that we operate in an unfair system but my gripe is about us attracting players. Never did I say we should have got Nick Stevens for Mcgough etc etc!!!

Unless players want to come we simply dont get satisfaction from anyone we approach and I simply would like to know why????

Mine is not a political message I love the current board and coach more so a concern as to where or perhaps which area are we failing in???
Wasn't the Kingdom of Lexus centre supposed to be this megalithic beacon where all would come from near or far??

'If you build it, they will come'.....Field of Dreams.

Never Forget the #42
Eunos 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:44 pm
Post subject: Re: WAKE UP !Reply with quote

Tess wrote:
The Collingwood Turtle wrote:
Apathy from supporters and admistrators alike allows us to accept 2nd best or believe we were unlucky/robbed etc.

How frigging true that is!

How often does any criticism of MM result in post after post replying with "what more do you want he got us into two GF's". Not just on Nicks either, all other CFC fan-sites have the same replies.

Credit where credit is due.
MM DID get us to 2 GF's and was desperately unlucky not to pull one off.
I attribute those GF appearances to MM as universally football experts will tell you that the Pies of '02. '03 did not have what it takes to even be in the 8, a fact that showed fruition in '04.
The players let him down badly in '03. A coach can do only so much, when the team hits the ground it is up to them to play to potential and beyond. Thats hoe the brions did it. Our players did not.
Don't blame the coach for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: