Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My fight with depression

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princem007 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to hear people getting their views out on this matter.

I have been suffering with minor depression during past 12/18 months due to a change in jobs, marital difficulties, health problems (chronic sinusitus) and life in general ( barracking for the pies).

Its good to hear how people have dealt with it and its encouraging to know people come out of it the other side mentally and physically tougher and stronger.

I no longer take medication as it seemed to make little difference for me.

I find that taking long walks, getting lots of sun and eating sensibly have helped me, and also being able to talk and confide in other people also helps alot.

I think sitting around on computers/games/maccas etc only compound the problems.

You need to get out, get fresh air and get active and stay positive and lead a balanced life, and most importantly spend time on things you enjoy, for me thats music and following the pies.

Premiers in 2005

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:58 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
Good stuff Dave & Mags. Smile

Will you guys still be around on Nicks?

I will be not sure about Mags, and cheers Smile
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:16 pm

The problem probably started in 1998, I had problems at school, you know with teasing and stuff, because of my weight. One girl there told me she liked me and then she was messing around and wasn't serious. Halfway through the year, I had had enough of school, and I dropped out.

In 1999, I started to babysit my tounger siblings, that weren't that old, I was left with both of them for long periods of time, and they wouldn't let up. Lately it has been getting worse, towards the end of last football season, the stress finally got to me, and I started to act upon things that have been on my mind,

The scar is still there as a reminder of how close I became to ending my life. I still haven't been able to explain any of this to my family, I have been keeping it hidden for so long, it's something that I probably will never be able to fully face.

I really didn't expect the replies to be so good to this, if you talk to Daks you will see that I was worried that I would get payed out for coming otu and talking about something that has been haunting me for the last few years. I still have a lot of demons to face, but, with help I am sure I will be able to face it. I have also posted some of this on Beyondblue.org.au hoping my story can help someone else seek help.
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Good on you Dave for being brave enough to share with the rest of us what you have been through. I have suffered with Depression and Post Traumatic Stress for the past 6 or so years since my dad first became ill in 1998, and passed away 5 years ago this Thursday.

I think what shocked me the most about his death, all though I knew he was sick I was rather young and naive, especially since it was my families choise not to inform me of the full extent of his illness until he was already on his death bed. It affected my mum terribly too and for a while she took alot of anger and resentment out on me which caused my poor self esteem.

I harmed myself by starving, scratching and sometimes even burning myself because I just hated myself so much, I believed every word she said. I struggled at school and almost failed the lot and saw myself with no direction or motivation to live.

Now I still have my up's and down's. I take no medication and I have finished councelling. I have begun training for a career I want and can acheive and i'm going to complete VCE.

what keeps me going is family, and one special person who showed me I was worth something when I believed I was worthless, who made me feel I was beautiful how I was and that I wasn't destined to be a failure. See, he really is more than just an idiotic serial poster.

Best of luck to Dave and everyone else out there who has been or is still suffering.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:04 pm

There are other things I really wish I could get out, I haven't found the courage to go further into my problems, let's just say my mind is filled with things that wish to get out.

Maybe it's time I went and saw a doctor, or got some professional help.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:19 pm

Dave, I'm so glad you feel the empowerment of sharing (and venting). That comment about the professional help is so encouraging. I had a very naive view on psychologists/counselors in a time when I needed some help. Please don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't talk to a professional. Despite my naive view on them, I was helped in 2 short visits and the experience was nothing like I thought it would be.

I normally wouldn't say anything or give advice but the clarity I gained from those 2 visits was something that helped ever so much. Being able to "dump" on this person was great, and have them be able to steer me through the cloudy bits has helped shape the person I am today, ie someone positive for 99% of the time.

I wish both you and Mags the best of luck and thank you both for the courage you've shown in posting here.

Remeber always, you are not alone.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:17 pm

Fantastic news Mags, I'm glad that you have figured this out yourself and your taking the steps to live a happier, healthier life. All the best mate and you know i'm still here for you, and always will be as a friend.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:17 pm

Mags wrote:
Blanch... thats what I thought mate to be honest seriously. I love living in Sydney and each and every single time I go up there I feel like I dont want to comeback here.

I dont smoke, drink or anything like that when I am up there. And that's what I have been doing in melbourne while I have had depression.

So when the time is right I will be moving to sydney sooner then I 1st thought.

Ill be fine guys Smile Its all good Im finally waking up to myself Smile And it feels great right now.

Good to hear mate, good luck with it all.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:19 pm

Mags, Dave and even Bec and everyone else that's posted,

Dave, great that you've posted it on BeyondBlue, you might come across my own post on there from a few years back Smile

Professional help is invaluable, that doesn't mean you have to take medication, but talking to a professional will help. You may not 'click' with the first person, but don't give up, you WILL find the right professional to help you, who really understands where your coming from.

I've also found, and seeing how everyone else here is posting, this isn't such a silly suggestion, keeping a journal, writing all your feelings, no matter how disjointed, just get it all out of your head and out of your body. You don't even have to read over it again. Write it up in a word document or something. Write it as a letter to someone. In fact Dave, it would be good for you to write it as a letter to your family, but you don't have to show them, or even let them know it exists.

this is just for you guys. Do it for yourself, it's amazing howmuch you'll find it helps and you already know how much talking about it on here has helped.

Good luck all of you

and i don't believe for one minute that it has anything to do with being a Collingwood Supporter! Who was the player who came out with his depression this past season? Nathan someone from Hawthorn wasn't it?

Our world has become a very stressful world, and the most common illness is depression and that is just going up and up. Sad really isn't it.

raymond35 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:13 pm

It must be compulsory to go through it and post on here.
I had a monster depression in 2003.
The best things are:
-the correct medication
-having someone to let it all out to
-time, lots of time.

I'll never forget what is described as the "feeling of death", which is impossible to describe unless you have been through it.

Good luck everyone, if anyone wants to talk about it via email, please feel free. I'm 95% over it now, but bloody hell was it a shocker.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:18 pm

My only reason for posting this was to help get it out, when I went away from the board I did a lot of soul searching, trying to figure what was wrong, I haven't dealt with all these feelings that were bottled up before.

It's still not all out, there are things that i cannot talk about, because they are really confusing. And some won't understand even if I did explain, it's not just depression I have been suffering, that's just the one thing that I have been able to get out right now. I am hoping over time, I will be able to tell people about the other things that are wrong. Right now, those feelings stay locked away.

pedro 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:35 pm

The Prototype wrote:
My only reason for posting this was to help get it out, when I went away from the board I did a lot of soul searching, trying to figure what was wrong, I haven't dealt with all these feelings that were bottled up before.

It's still not all out, there are things that i cannot talk about, because they are really confusing. And some won't understand even if I did explain, it's not just depression I have been suffering, that's just the one thing that I have been able to get out right now. I am hoping over time, I will be able to tell people about the other things that are wrong. Right now, those feelings stay locked away.

Go and see someone. By the sounds of it you have recognised certain problems and a desire to somehow sort them out. Perhaps seeing a professional who you can blurt it all out to in a confidential way will help you. I imagine they see people with similar problems 10 times a day and you might be pleasantly surprised how much help they can be.

However you choose to deal with it, I wish you all the best.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 pm

I have made a post on Beyondblue to see if they know what I am dealing with, and maybe I can get whatever it is treated.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:49 pm

I am so proud of everyone that's posted in this topic!

I am proud of everyone that admitted to depression, because it is a big thing to come out..

I am also proud of everyone who replied, because they understood, and didnt ridicule or criticize..

Proudness all round Very Happy Smile

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
paulie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:42 am

First up well done to everyone who has replied to this topic.also good luck to everone who suffers from depression or is close to someone who does.I can certainly understand how hard it can be from a partner point of view.Please anyone who is suffering seek help asap.My partner has found beyondblue a great help.Also seeing a trusted family doctor and the right medicine can do amazing things.Above all be patient it won't happen overnite it has it's ups and downs rather like barracking for the Pies!!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: