Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aus Officials oversee Torture.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eunos 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Post subject: Aus Officials oversee Torture.Reply with quote

well, despite Sen Hill's denial (June 16th 2004) in parliament, it seems that Australian officials are implicit in the torture that the US inflicted upon suspects in Iraq and Cuba.

Lies. Lies, Lies. Not suprised at all.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for you.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:01 am

magpie greg wrote:
But he cant say what he was doing in Afghanistan or who funded his constant trips.

So? That does not address the point of this thread. It's a smokescreen to deter us from our governments complicity.
The man has been found to have "No Charge To Answer" by the US government.
He may be guilty of something, he may not. But the richest most powerful country in the world could not put him before a court.
I guess that under our system of justice we have no choice but to treat him as innocent.

Like it or not.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:38 am

Careful Greg they're watching you too mate. They have heard you listening to the Beatles backwards. You too could be placed in detention for your love of these bowl cutted freaks who made girls scream!

www.facebook/the hybernators
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:08 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Careful Greg they're watching you too mate. They have heard you listening to the Beatles backwards. You too could be placed in detention for your love of these bowl cutted freaks who made girls scream!

Laughing Shocked Laughing Shocked Laughing Shocked Laughing Shocked Laughing Cool

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:28 am

I was a bit worried actually that Habib has been released..... after all the evidence still seems to say that he was up to no good even though it can't be proved....... anyway if he was a terrorist lets hope he doesn't decide to get straight back into it now he's free.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:47 pm

David from Canberra wrote:
. after all the evidence still seems to say that he was up to no good even though it can't be proved.......

Now I know our jails are already at bursting point, but how many more people would be behind bars under that criteria?
MG and his colleagues would certainly be making a fortune if there were that many court cases to be fought.

magpie greg wrote:
Today's revelations in the Senate Committee enquiry about the "truthfulness" of Habib show us that we can treat anything he says with the disdain it deserves.

Nice to see someone still believes our government/security forces. I believe we have also had revelations regarding Australia's participation in torture. Revelations that the government of course deny.

I'll go you halves in that swamp land Greg.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:32 pm

David from Canberra gets lost in his local milk bar and has to ring his mum to retrieve him!

www.facebook/the hybernators
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:41 pm

watch out 3rd Degree, those dudes in my avatar are getting pretty mad Wink
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:40 pm

"What happened to Habib is appalling and defies everything a civilised society stands for ... Whatever terrible scars Habib will bear, he is free. He can see his wife and children, and get a chance to rebuild his life. There is another detainee who faces a much bleaker future. He languishes not in Guantanamo Bay but in the Baxter detention centre in South Australia. His name is Peter Qasim. He has been locked up for 7 years even though he has committed no crime, faces no charges and is not considered a terrorist, an "enemy combatant" or a danger to Australia. This detainee, virtually unknown outside a small circle, faces life-long detention ..." Adele Horin, SMH, Jan 29 2005

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/02/16/1108500150540.html

Greg Egan tells the story of his friend Peter Qasim, who has languished in immigration detention for more than six years.

In May 2002, I received my first reply from a new penfriend named Peter Qasim. He thanked me for my letter, told me he'd been born in Indian Kashmir, and asked me about my hobbies and profession. He also mentioned that he'd been in immigration detention for close to four years.

. . . . Thursday, 9 September 2004 is a landmark anniversary for the Australian Government's policy of mandatory detention for asylum seekers. On this day 30 year old PETER QASIM will have completed six years behind razor wire making him Australia's longest serving immigration detainee.

Peter has little hope of being released from the Baxter Detention Facility in outback SA. His Kashmiri nationality is not recognised, and a recent High Court ruling upheld the Government's right to detain stateless asylum seekers indefinitely.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:48 pm

Surely there's more to it than that, Rand Corp...... doesn't this guy have the option of going home?
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:09 pm

No he doesn't, he was tortured and fled his home country, hence applying for refugee status.

That is why he isn't deported, Australian government knows he'd be hung-drawn-and-quartered the minute he got home (very bad publicity if you've just denied to recognize someone's refugee status).
Instead they look like keeping him locked up forever, or for the duration of this government at least.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:11 pm

Ah, well in that case. Who does "they" refer to?
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:19 pm

They being- The Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.

Which only leads me in disgust to the way we lob all these things under one department, I mean it really does show that this government considers our indigenous population as 'other peoples' and lobs them into the same basket as immigrants and 'other' cultures. Appaling the direction in which the morals and principles are being lead and shaped by those in power. In 20 or 30 years time I have absolutely no doubt that Australians will look back on this time and this government with great shame and embarassment.

Oh, and NEVER EVER FORGET SIEV X

http://sievx.com/

All will be reveiled in the fullness of time.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:52 pm

Dude you should know by now not to reply to HAL's posts....... anyway your statement that "Australians will look back on this time and this government with great shame and embarassment" is ridiculous. I take it you mean that people will look back in shame that a firm line was taken on illegal immigrants? That we didn't just open up our borders to everybody? And you read too much into the fact that immigration and indigenous affairs are in the same department..... anyway the encouragement of symbols such as the aboriginal flag shows that some people somewhere (and not on the government's side of politics) believe that Aborigines should be considered "other peoples"......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: