Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Coach Announced

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 8:54 am
Post subject: New Coach AnnouncedReply with quote

Did you all read the article on todays AFL web page confirming Mick Malthouse to coach the Pies next year. The momentum is definitely picking up as we move toward yet another new era. What's the general opinion and verdict from you lot on MM, do you think he's the next messiah ?

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 9:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can see in that article Pie, is a whole lot of supposition and very little evidence (none).

I'm a Magpie fan and I've become used to ignoring most things that Mike Sheahan says - I don't think I can break the habit now.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 9:51 am

but how often does mike sheahan write an 'exclusive'? he's more of an opinionative writer. there must be some substance in the story if he was going to write it like he did. unless eddie paid him a million to write it just so people would watch the footy show. i'll be watching it, that's for sure.
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 1:21 pm

Mike Sheean is a dork !
He changes his opinion every minute.....what do you think?
Anyway and more importantly Magpie Mick has a ring to it - don't ya think!

News just to hand....
In for the Pies Ricky (oh my back)Olerenshaw out Craig Nicotine.
In for that red & black team - Mike Long.

------------------
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netspace.net.au/~clemo
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 12:50 pm

See the age also has a similar article but with more oomph behind it. Still no open declarations but it's getting close,,,,

so back to the question,,,,

Will he be the next Messiah???????

Broadie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 8:34 am

Have to agree with all those bagging Mike Sheehan. I sometimes wonder if he ever leaves his office. His articles almost alwasy lack sourcse and seem to have very little connection with the actual games / players involved.

Every time I see his name on the byline I immediately ignore it.

I,too, was excited about the Malthouse report until I saw Sheehan's name in the byline.

On a very interesting note, however, I heard an interview between Jack Cahill and Malthouse. MM clearly indicated that he won't be coahcing the Weagles next year, but left other things quite unclear.

He did repeatedly refer to the need for a new challenge and that he had achieved everything he could at West Coast...
...maybe Sheehan's lack of integrity has steered in the right direction for once
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 8:50 am

don't worry, we've got malthouse sewn up, no doubt he'll be coaching the pies next year. i just want to know if he'll give wasley some game time.
Broadie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 1999 8:38 am

Foxy,

what is your obsession with Wazza? Are you his manager, an obsessed Wazz-o-phile...or are you the man himself.....???

Have a look at our position on the reserves ladder: we'll be playing finals. There is a distinct possibility that Wasley is being kept (obviously not any longer if the injury report is correct) in the magoos so he'll qualify for finals footy in the ressies.

Speaking of which, does anybody know what the ruling is to play reserves finals? My recollection is that you must have a minimumof reserves games (8 or 10?) and no more than a set amount of senior games (around 7-8?).

If anyone knows, please post it!
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 1999 11:53 am

but wazza is the best player! it's pretty obvious he'll win the brownlow by 2001.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 5:02 pm

just heard patrick smith on the radio saying it's definite that malthouse will coach collingwood.
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 1999 5:55 am

OK so now we have a reasonable indication of the likelihood of MM coaching, is he the bloke to rev the Pies up or not???
Personally I think so. He is a tough nut who commands respect. He is also a thinker, valued enough to have his own column. He's certainly been around the traps, richmond, fooscray, weagles. I also think he'll bring some valuable west coast knowledge on recruits. There's a big pool over there and he'll have inside info to share with Judkins et al.
Criticism of him indicates he has surfed along on top of draft concessions and a natural pool of good players. Not so sure of this criticism as he has been the coach of a team in the finals for 10 years running.
My biggest worry is whether he is jaded or not.
It will also be exteremely interesting to find out who his assistant coach(es?) will be next year.

paul 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 1999 9:52 am

Seeing nobody answered your original question PNS I guess its OK to answer it yourself.

Like you, I think Malthouse will be a strong leader of a disciplined team. This is one of Shawry's greatest attributes and therefore the club will lose none of this legacy.

So what if his success come as a result of good draft picks. Isn't that where we are putting a fair percentage of our faith. Having the nous to pick and trade the right players, an develop a skilled list is what is expected of a football department. So once again I agree with you.

As to whether he is jaded, who knows. They say a change is s good as a holiday. Being one of 11 Victorian coachs will provide him with a bit more respite from the media than he enjoys in Perth. The fact that an instant premiership is not expected (but would certainly be appreciated)should give him a fresher approach. This should be enhanced by a move back closer to his and his wife's family.

The main point is that he is being sought for his skills as a coach, not merely to transfer the WC game plan to Collingwood. It will be his innovation and ability to use the list to its best ability that will see him succeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: