Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor party's bid to recruit McGuire

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:32 am
Post subject: Labor party's bid to recruit McGuireReply with quote

Labor party's bid to recruit McGuire
10 April 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
Lincoln Wright
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12805476%255E20322,00.html

Quote:
The Collingwood and Channel 9 figure confirmed yesterday that he had been approached to stand for the ALP at the next federal election – and refused to rule out a career move.

The move is part of a Labor strategy to recruit celebrities, including football figures.

Senior Labor figures have even pencilled in McGuire for the northern Melbourne seat of Scullin, centred around Epping and Thomastown.
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A big call. What if Eddie won his seat and Lobor lost the election ? We can only wonder where that would leave CFC. And who would step up to the presidential plate ? Could he manage both ? Too much work to be done at CFC Eddie - leave it until the following federal election.
Birdy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:40 am

I'd have thought a smart man like Eddie would want to join a winning team. Although with Labor in need of some real talent I'm sure he would be welcomed there.
you idiot sheahan Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:57 pm

I don't want to bring politics into the great thing we love - footy, by why would Eddie join and run for the ALP? He's successful, he believes in Liberal philosiphies of hard work and self improvement, he is himself the ultimate self improver, he's entrepreneurial and, hence, loves money. These things don't really add up to an ALP man. I've always thought myself if he went into politics he'd be a Lib. He even said himself on SEN that he's hosted the 500 Club luncheons for the last 12 years. Let me tell you, no one who remotely smells a little red goes near those things. It's a huge beat up by the rag that does those things the best - Sheahan's Herald Scum.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:13 pm

Can't see Eddie doing that, it would ruin his bid to be the first President of the Republic of Australia.

Besides, I would be absolutely livid if he joined the Libs, why not just move to America & join the Republican party? So I can't see him alienating all Collingwood Liberal supporters (despite that being a contradiction in terms).

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:18 pm

I've already said I don't want to dwell on politics, 35forever, but there are heaps of Lib Collingwood supporters. We're a changed society, and for the better too. Also, there is no comparison between the Australian Liberals and the Republicans, only that they are on the Right of their respective political parameters. However, I would dare say that the US Democrats would still be to the Right of the Libs.
snow24 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:59 pm

you idiot sheahan,

The Liberal Party and the Republican party are brothers in arms as they are both socially and economically conservative. They trade strategy ideas and actively support each other in their respective election campaigns.

You can have the ethos you talked about in your previous post and still be a Labor supporter. It's just plain ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I have always thought Eddie to be a Labor man. He's a Broady boy who barracks for Collingwood and he often uses Paul Keating phrases and sometimes even quotes him. Isnt all this old news though? I can remember him being mooted for Labor preselection years ago. Having said that, I reckon he would be a gun politician and I hope he does enter parliament in the next few elections because the Labor party (and Australia) need him.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:07 pm

I'm perplexed by people who think that if Ed ran for the Labor Party that this would alienate Pie barracking Libs supporters.
Were Labor supporters who barracked for Carlscum outraged when Elliot looked as though he could become our next PM? No.

Football and Party politics are exclusive. And Ed did state it would be post his TV career, which I would imagine will also be post Collingwood President.

Good luck if he does. He has my vote.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:33 pm

hmmmmm....yeah.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:33 pm

you idiot sheahan wrote:
I don't want to bring politics into the great thing we love - footy, but I will anyway ... blah blah shite shite ...

You idiot, you idiot sheahan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:50 pm

Apart from the fact that you disagree with my politcs, BTW I never stated my own political posititon, what makes me an idiot?
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:07 pm

Do I have to spell it out?

You said "I don't want to bring politics into this" and then proceeded to spout a whole lot of politics about "hard work" and other such crap.

That's what makes you an idiot, you idiot sheahan.

It's got nothing to do with me agreeing of disagreeing with your rancid right-wing rot. Spout your crap, by all means ... but please spare us the bollocks about not wanting to bring politics into it, you idiot ... er ... sheahan.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:28 am

Poll shows voters don't want Eddie
11 April 2005 Herald Sun
Jeremy Kelly
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12813613%255E20322,00.html

Quote:
EDDIE McGuire has become embroiled in the latest factional brawling within the Labor Party.

Party sources said yesterday the latest calls for McGuire to enter federal politics were more likely mischief-making than a real desire to see him stand as a candidate.

And a Herald Sun online footy poll showed it might be best if the party stood clear of the Collingwood Football Club president and omnipresent television celebrity.

Almost three out of four people said they would not vote for McGuire.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:40 pm

Please don't be silly Ed. Stick to the footy etc, but not politics.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:43 pm

My brain contains 58269 categories, but not one that matches your last input. I lost my train of thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: