Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Draft - What is the rule re. Pick 1?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 3:15 am
Post subject: Draft - What is the rule re. Pick 1?Reply with quote

OK Draft Gurus who knows the rules? The Father/Son rules require you to make father/son choices as your 2nd or 3rd round draft picks. We have picks 1,3,19,35 etc but how does it work as far as rounds go? Is pick 1 a priority/concession pick and then our 3rd pick a round 1 pick?

This would give us some flexibility if this is right. PRIORITY / CONCESSION 1 Josh Fraser (let's face it he's been wearing black & white since June!) 2 Paul Halseby - East Fremantle (per the AGE Freo have him pencilled in) ROUND 1 3 Brad Green / Matthew Pavlich (we need to go for height) ROUND 2 19 Ezra Poyas (if he's still available - we need to go for marking ability early) ROUND 3 35 Rhyce Shaw (if the judges are right a TAC Cup Team of the year member is a bargain at this stage in the draft)

Not a bad start - that leaves 51,67,83. I reckon we'd be mad to trade any of our first 4 particularly since we can pick up an uncontracted player without the need to trade. We could always package up a later pick and a player for some experience. From there its anyone's guess but running types are generally easier to pick up via pre-draft trades and swaps than talls so its better to go for talls in the November draft.

Is the David Clark from Sunday's Herald Sun article the same one that could go to Melbourne under the father/son rule? Would be a pity - anyone who supports the pies and has Bucks as their footy hero deserves to be picked up by the Woods.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 3:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

agree we need to go for that ezra bloke before rhyce shaw. we'd be lucky to get rhyce at 35 - we still have to get him though. you really think we can get fraser and pavlich? that'd be a real bonus to have two talents like that on the list. it'd be weird if we got ezra because i'd go to the matches to see a bloke i used to play u/13's with.
ZED 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 8:35 am

I think it is second round pick (19) if we want Shaw. No one pick is not included as a round.How tall is Hasley and Pois ?

Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 9:54 am

It is our 2nd round pick (number 1Cool we have to give up to get Rhyce Shaw. If you take 2 players then you have to use your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Paul Haselby would be about 180 cm. I watched him play about 4 or 5 times this year. Theres no doubt he will go ok in the AFL but we have to target big men with our first 2 picks.

Freo wont use their 1st pick to take him, he's not that brilliant and they want Matthew Pavlich.

Ezra Poyas wont be available in the 2nd round so assuming we keep our draft picks we will probably have to choose between Poyas, Brad Green and maybe Jonathan Brown.

Charlie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 3:34 pm

We would have a lot of leverage with our second pick (number 3 overall). Why pay a lot of money to recruiting officers if they cannot do complex deals. Is there a great deal of difference this year between potential rookies 3 to 10 ?.

I have a gut feeling that pick 3, and our first choice in the feb draft will be used to our maximum advantage as leverage to get other players to the club i.e Everett.

If Colbert doesn't come to Collingwood,we will swap our first feb pick to his preferred club. In return, a complex set of swaps will be set in motion. Eventually we will regain a low order draft pick in the Rookie draft , as well as players.

We may loose rookie pick 3, but perhaps gain rookie pick 6.

Of course this is all speculation. But as i said, I'm sure its going to be a lot more complex than we think.

I have been looking forward to this since it was obvious we weren't getting anywhere. (approx round 1 :=} )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: