Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Qld Magpies Match and Function Report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Queensland Magpies Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumple 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:23 am
Post subject: Qld Magpies Match and Function ReportReply with quote

The day started at the Emerald lakes golf Course with Neil Balme speaking for about 30 or 40 minutes. We had about 70 people show up for what an excellent pre-game function, considering there was only a week to organise. Thanks to Velocity Sports for their involvement in getting this organised.
Qld Magpies managed to sign some more members and handed out a lot of flyers and freebees to some areas of the crowd. The club is building nicely, and people are starting to respond. Our next function at the Lexus Centre on Anzac Eve is going to be a great night as well. Currently we have about 50 Qld members (that number is still climbing) all coming to Melbourne for the function and the game. If you haven’t already thought about it, head to our website and download a form to make sure you are coming along for a great night, and help make the Qld Magpies even stronger so we can continue to achieve and improve. Currently we have 3 special guests: A former 1990 premiership player, a current contracted player, and author Glen McFarlane.
Neil spoke to us about how Rocca will be used at FF for most of the year, and Bucks would rotate mid and forward. He mentioned how good this kid Thomas was going to be, and they are very excited about him at the Lexus. Gave us a scoop when I asked about Harry, and said that Rusling was put on the long term injury list on Saturday until round 6 and Harry has been promoted. Made his comments quite clear that he does not think a Melbourne team should move to the Gold Coast, saying he thinks they need all those teams in Vic for the competition to be strong. Most disagreed with him, bringing up the crowds the Roos get in Melbourne and even worse in Canberra, are being beaten by those at Carrara for non premiership games.
He also told us the Taz stayed in Melbourne due to some soreness, and it is not worth the risk at this stage. Burns is ready for a Willy game now.

Player Comments

Leon: Was probably his best game against a Lions outfit. Although not a starring performance, he was an excellent contributor. When Power was on him, he got little of it though. Did some very nice things at times, and set up a few goals with some excellent disposal.
Lonie: Wasn’t his day. He even missed a typical Lonie goal from 50. He was in the midfield all night, and if there was a positive he kept Acker quite for a while.
Didak: 5 goals in the 1st ¼ including 3 in 2 minutes on the siren. After his 3rd the players all ran to him and that sign of enthusiasm was heartening. Looks set for a big year in midfield.
Bucks: Played down back all game, and was Bucks. Didn’t play much in the last ¼ and the score showed that.
Brodie: Very quiet game for Brodie from what I saw.
Clement: Like Bucks, they just don’t put a foot wrong. Played on many opponents through the game, as they all did.
Carrot: Dropped many marks, but also had the disposal to him go over his head a lot. Needs to improve from that game if wants to cement a spot.
O’Bree: Is set for a huge year, for those is fantasy comps, he is good value IMHO.
Thomas: Was easily BOG until he kicked in the guts (Very close to the jewels) by Bradshaw. Reports say it was a knee, but I reckon that knee had studs in it. Happened right in front of me. Came back on and did a few nice things, but that hit certainly took the wind out of him. If fit enough, he can play every game for us. He is something “special”.
Wakelin: Was relatively quiet and probably needed the run.
Egan: Played FF most of the game, and dropped many marks, and missed a few easy shots. Frustrating me at the moment watching him spoil opportunities.
Davies: Got lots of it, and is very good in the centre clearances, BUT his disposal was very ordinary. In one 10 minute period, he had three chances to hit Carrots on the lead, all three went straight over his head, and the Lions rebounded. AAAHHHH!
Richards: At times his tapwork in the middle was very nice. He, OB and Davies seem to work well together. In the last ¼ he and Josh got killed in the ruck. Around the ground he did very little.
Rocca: Dropped marks, missed some easy ones, but kicked a mercurial in Daicos pocket. Michael had him most game, and got the best of him.
Tarkin: Got it a bit and was pretty sound.
Fraser: He did a couple of nice things included a good mark and point in the 3rd. Nothing special tonight though.
Johnson: Was quite good tonight. Rotated through the midfield and got a bit of it. Hope he continues to improve throughout the year in the midfield.
Maxwell: Was excellent. With him and Clement in the backline, we have two very good rebounding players that actually STOP their opponents as well. Damn what a prospect he is coming to be.
The Clokes: Didn’t do a lot tonight, unfortunately.
Presto: Was very good on Brown when he was on him. Brown went searching up to the wing to get a clean possession. When presto was taken off, he got the better of many, including Wakes and Clement.
Swan: Played through the midfield and got a bit of it, but his disposal lacks penetration and accuracy. Sound familiar? Having said that I do like him, as he goes pretty hard.
H. Shaw: hardly saw him all night.
Harry: Came on in the 2nd and was very good. Got a lot of it, was baulking hitting targets and stopping his man constantly. Deserves his promotion.

Summary:
Players where rotated constantly and no-one had the same man for an extended period from what I saw. From that point of view, it was definitely a practice match and MM would have got both some positives and negatives from it.
My best where Thomas, Harry, Maxwell and Didak. Special mention to Bucks and Clem as they seem to need to be outstanding to get on the best lists nowadays.
rumple 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58989725@N00/show/
MagpieMark 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:07 am
Post subject: thank you qld magpiesReply with quote

To Ken Dinsdale and all of those who helped organise the function and tickets, thank you so much. It is so great to sit with fellow supporters and share in the atmosphere of seeing our guys play. A few people have commented on how many Collingwood people turned up, it was incredible!

I also want to say hi to the wonderfully passionate supporter who sat next to in the eastern stand. I can't remember your name but I am Magpiemark adn was wearing a magpie headband and waved a big flag! I admire your passion and enthusaism!

Go Pies!

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Queensland Magpies Forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: