Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#36 Dane Swan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:58 am
Post subject: Swanny to face courtReply with quote

By Andrea Petrie, Lyall Johnson
August 27, 2004

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/26/1093518009666.html

Here we go again another Collingwood player mucks up and it's headlines !! This happened last year the court date is next week but let's put it up on the day he is picked to play the last match of the year !! Well done to The AGE again. And let's list every club infraction for the year at the end of the article just to round it up too !!

Good luck for tonight Swanny and good luck for next week too !!

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You question and deride the timing of the article, but you have still posted it.

How does this differ to what The Age has done?

If you are so concerned about it, why post it at all?

Hooked
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:57 am

Probably to show us how ridiculous the media are.

I had to laugh at the last line "defender Rhyce Shaw was punched in an Eltham bar."

Wow! What a crime! Rolling Eyes

The players may occasionally do the wrong thing but I'm sure they cop a lot which is undeserved also.

Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:10 pm

Yeah Dale I was incensed at the Age's timing and it differs from the fact they they had posted and printed the article already, so that needs to be highlighted and the proof is the article. The Age is read by more people than this website. And as such the damage is done ... my little post let's Nick's people know that ... pehaps I could have eluded to it without naming names but it's already out there.

I have little time for the media obsession with finding scandal and controversy this year. Real footy stories have slipped by unnoticed or with little fanfare - point in case is the return of Tarkyn to football this year after two debilitating injuries that would have sidelined many an athlete and here he is playing football at the elite level again. My concern here is not the incident per se but the reporting timing and the attempt to defame Collingwood Football Club players. That is my concern ...

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:13 pm

Good point.

The guys on SEN were having a dig at the Pies in regards to this, this morning too. They were crapping on about how when teams play crap, this sort of thing happens, but now I find out that it actually happened last year!! Did the wankers even read past the headline?
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:15 pm

the real crime was that he was at an eltham bar
Bones 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:44 pm

Well I would not have known about the incident until it was posted here. Never read the Age either...
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:59 pm

Just another good example of why we are having the season we are having! Although I agree that the media will always beef things up to make them sound better, my main concern is the lack of focus from our team this year!
I don't care what anyone says, the players have not been focused to play footy this year! They have only really had a crack for about one third of the season. There have been far too many off field incidents to just brush them off as small incidents or a media beat up.
Lets hope that after this season, they remember again what they are paid to do and what it taked to 1. make the eight, 2. play in a grand final and 3. win a grand final. As was mentioned before many a times, when do you hear the name Buckley or Clement associated with these incidents?
Yobbo^LuKa Libra

=[(World Champion)]=

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:47 pm

Big whoop...this stuff happens every weekend to people. Why push it to the surface for people to see? At the end of the day they are paid to play football, we need to be left out of their private lives. A rookie kid being crucified in the media for a drunken spree? If I did something like it would I have been put up in lights like this? I doubt it.
CAAS 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:01 pm

Swanny wont have much to worry about as he was standing up for a mate (carey) who was getting the crap kicked out of him by security. Swan threw 1 punch, its on camera and he connected. I'd call it self defence as thats all it was. Anyone in the same situation would have done the same thing. When will security guards realise that they are just that, security guards? If they are not able to control witout using violence, they are instructed to call police, not attack like savage dogs.

This hasnt affected swans season either as he did start the year very well.

we are the loyalist, football supporters
the world has ever had.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:24 pm

stik35 wrote:
Probably to show us how ridiculous the media are.

I had to laugh at the last line "defender Rhyce Shaw was punched in an Eltham bar."

Wow! What a crime! Rolling Eyes

The players may occasionally do the wrong thing but I'm sure they cop a lot which is undeserved also.

They just ad that for fun. Pretty poor writing. Yeah, thats REALLY his fault. Rolling Eyes
daics'mate Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:01 am

I agree with Spoljar- many are concerned with the lack of discipline this year. if you read the Age then note the court hearing is next week so it is timely- sadly- we should stop excusing our players- I love Collingwood but there are many more off field indiscretions that have not made the papers. I would suggest the Ag was not looking for an anti story but it came from police records-
also we can't see all media as out to get us as Two_Pies quoted that no media did good news stories on Tark's comeback. On the contrary The Age actually did a great two page (and in broadsheet terms that is a lot of copy) spread on Tarkyn the day of his return. Emma Quayle had Tarkyn do a diary on his year off and she followed him for a year monitoring it all.
It was a great read with superb photos of our Tarks. I prefer the Age to the Her-Sun doing mostly player and their cat or dog story. or blame the police for charging our boys-
please bring on a good 2005 with some good draft choices-
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:43 am

daics'mate wrote:
I agree with Spoljar- many are concerned with the lack of discipline this year.

I am, but only to an extent. Its funny how we only hear about the bad stories of football, and never the good ones. What about that program they ran last season led by Tarkyn Lockyer (Self3)? And all those other community programs they run? Why aren't there many stories on those things? The only things like that that I've heard of this season, is of Matthew Croft and Mark McVeigh doing something. Why can't we hear more about this, instead of the law breaking and bad aspects of their young lives?
daics'mate Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:35 pm

yes, i agree Johnson 26, but I pointed out in the same post that the Age did do a great two full big pages on Tark's return and whole year of rehab. I am sure they also mentioned Tarks and his program. I know I am always pushing it with any media outlet about doing the positives. The Age and Sunday Herald Sun did a big story on Rupe actually and his pantings and work with disadvantaged people. I am always suggesting to all they look at Licca & his community work as well as bad cases. I consider Licca the almost perfect caring person.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:14 pm

Yes, they have done some good articles on different things but you'd have to prefer some more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: