Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#36 Dane Swan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad something was made of Tarks in print media. I can remember when Libba came back from his knee it was huge news. The Tarks article may have slipped my notice but nevertheless the timing of the Swan article was appalling.

Did anyone hear the chorus of boos that Swan received with his first touch? That must be attributed to the publicity - how many Scum supporters would even know who he is ?? Let alone single him out for a huge rollicking normally reserved for the likes of Bucks ...

rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:28 pm

I'd say it has become public knowledge now because the trial date has been set and some junior journo who has the mundane task of going through the court lists daily, trying to spot any celebrities, has flagged Swanny's name.

When it actually happened, (12 months ago) Wayne Carey was still playing, so if it came out then, it would have been all about his relative being in the incident.
swooper 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:40 pm

Well said daic's mate - I too am a little frustrated about our off-field indiscretions. Yeah yeah, it may not have been much of an incident in the end, but hey, he plays for Collingwood, which means it IS news and the print media are going to run with it. As a club, we just have to cop that.

Yes, the Tarks diary before his come back was a great read, a very honest account of what he went through and quite an emotional read too from memory.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:07 pm

Do you think Swanny was promoted because of the media talk and it was to take the focus off it?
daics'mate Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:51 pm

I do know there has been a lot of off-field discussion about his and a few other's behaviour - thus we need discpline for those who do exceed the limits of having a good time when possible. it sets a bad example to other young players and it has upset our games this year. Yes, I know, apart from injuries - I believe we should not use these posts for details of what and who has done what and which, so I won't even hint or elaborate -it then becomes goss- unfair to name anyone as we can't detail names of those at club who do know.
I will await for the club's decision whether it is worthwhile perservering with youngsters that seem to constantly misbehave. at the end of season we will find out if club keeps them on.
Two_Pies Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:19 pm

I agree with your proposition that this forum is not the ideal place to name names, but the horse has well and truly bolted when an article appears in a newspaper. Attention is then rife throughout all media outlets TV, Radio and print and for us as supporters and members we should be able to discuss what on the surface appears to be a lack of discipline across the board not only at our club but others.

In the past we have self-censored when there are alleged incidents where individuals have not been identified. But when our club is affected directly and it is public knowledge it needs to be discussed openly and not swept under the carpet. Rightly or wrongly player indiscretions create news and affect the playing group. To show support for the players concerned is valid and that's where it should end. Muckraking innuendo and gossip whilst a past-time of some is not my bag and should not be and is not encouraged here.

daics'mate Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:44 pm

Two_pies
I do totally agree with all you said- and my comments were not directed at you. I can only note who says what on boards - and most seem very sensible- but if I accept what you say about gossip and players I have to keep quiet about what some might say to me, in confidence. it might affect their role at the club- it is then on open board for anyone to read-incl media. tho I do also accept that most journos know more than most of us do. they get told a great deal by the powers at any club. they usually keep it out of print oroff air. or they don't get told again.
I feel overall that the younger players or some of them have let the senior ones down.
I can only stress i am not a yes person and will push my views to anyone i can at the club.
Two_Pies Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:38 pm

daics'mate you sound like you are in a position of trust to be in someone's confidence at the club and from what I have seen you have upheld that truly.

If the youngsters can only see too that they are in a position of trust from the club to act responsibly in all areas of their life particularly when it can become public knowledge. And the payoff for doing so is adulation from thousands, personal achievement in their chosen sport, umpteen perks and lurks, substantial financial reimbursement, potential to be set-up for life finacially etc etc .... now is it too much to ask to just keep your nose clean ???

Well apparently some young heads have trouble doing so. The Club has held and holds education events and provides off-field opportunities beyond football this is very much on the right track to producing fine citizens and hopefully at the end of the day great footballers. However the human being is a complex creature and we can't expect that this will be the last time we hear of an off-field indiscretion hopefully they will be few and far between....Pies to thrive in 2005 !!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:15 am
Post subject: #36 Dane SwanReply with quote

DOB : 25th February 1984 ( a Capricorn)
Height: 183cm
Weight: 83kg
Recruited from: Westmeadows/Calder Canons U18

Dane, the son of legendary VFA star Billy Swan- a VFA/VFL games record-holder winning four premierships with Port Melbourne and another with Williamstown in 1990. Billy ,described as a small, highly skilful and elusive player with excellent disposal, was a prolific ball getter who was touted for his ability to dash out of the centre and kick a long running goal. Ah like father like son I hear you say!

According to the scribes and the experts of the time Dane was not stand-out a junior level, he entered the draft in 2001 but did not expect to be picked up and did not dare dream of AFL because he felt it was seemingly out of reach. Having entered the 2001 draft, he actually popped off to schoolie�s week not expecting to be picked up.

He was selected by Collingwood with the 58th pick in 2001 national draft

Swanny didn't make an appearance in his first season, instead playing at affiliate club Williamstown

He made his debut Round 13 June 28 v Bulldogs at the Dome

He managed only 3 games in 203 primarily on the bench. 2004 bought more but limited game time however his career could to this date is probably best described as inconsistent.

In 2004, he appeared in court charged with assaulting two people during an alleged brawl at Federation Square in 2003. Swanny had failed to heed the message � keeep away from anyone named Carey!!!!

The court was told that 21-year-old Swan deeply regretted getting involved in the fight and apologised to the police and community for failing to act as a role model. Collingwood's club psychologist told the court that Swan almost lost his football career over the incident, with coach Mick Malthouse planning to delist him if he did not improve his behaviour.

Having no previous convictions, Dane received: no jail time;no suspended sentence;no fine but was required to undertake 100 hours of community service and he saw the light!
He knuckled down did the training and committed himself to improving and being a consistent performer

And improve he has!!!

In 2006 he became one of our most improved players, scoring 15 goals in his first 9 matches of the season and picking up 22 disposals or more in every one of his first 9 matches..
But it hasn�t come easily Swanny has worked hard � as per this interview with the man himself

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/16/1145126007125.html

Looking at Dane�s stats alone shows the improvement he has made however it is the little� footy things� he does that make Dane Swan!

His deceptive pace, his ability to �arch the back� Judd like to get away from a chasing opponent and his footy brain will hopefully ensure a long and successful career at our club

Dane�s football journey has been via the low road. As Phil Cleary says� his father, Billy, was and remains, a wharfie, and so has no pretensions. He wears a tie only to go to the races. He was the seminal influence on his son's football career, and we now see this in the way Dane goes about it !.

Fifteen years after Bill Swan wobbled a drop punt through the goals to grab his adopted club, Williamstown, the premiership in probably the most dramatic VFA grand final of all time, his son Dane is now primed to play a starring role with the Magpies whose VFL affiliate club is none other than the Seagulls

Dane was seen and judged to be our most improved in 2006 - winning the inaugural Gavin Brown/Nicks BB medal and the Rant Medallion - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rant101/collingwood/rantmedallion.html

And in the 2006 Brownlow Medal count he tied with fellow midfielder Ben Johnson on 11. Swanny averaged 23 disposals and 8 marks per game, and kicked 19 goals for the year.

On player ratings, he ranked 12th in the league this year, and he has shown that he can get the ball, take marks and kick goals. I reckon it all went pear shaped for us last season round about early June when Swanny �twanged� a hammy V Brians

Rest assured Swanny is an integral part of our team � where we go in 2007 � well he will be a major factor and his presence and performance will be a major factor!

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:40 pm

I will oust you in a coup Morrigu, Me and Swanny go way back. When he had his doubters me and Dane were busy writing his book " Defending Dane Swan" and you weren't even on the scene.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:24 pm

3rd degree wrote:
I will oust you in a coup Morrigu, Me and Swanny go way back. When he had his doubters me and Dane were busy writing his book " Defending Dane Swan" and you weren't even on the scene.

No need for a coup 3rd - I am as corrupt and morally bankrupt as most Presidents

Bring me the young Irish lad and I shall return the Swan to his rightful owner Laughing

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:39 am

Dane Swan
Superfan Luke Mason
collingwoodfc.com.au
http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=fanfile&articleid=295744

Quote:
A gritty, prolific ball winning defender, Swan was recruited late in the 2001 National Draft.

He spent the whole of the 2002 season at Williamstown, gaining valuable experience, before breaking into senior ranks for three games midway through the year.
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:33 pm

The Gavin Brown Medalist

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 am

I have heard he's uinfit
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:14 am

Heard wrong there, Dave. Looking better than ever at training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: