Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #1,#2,#3,#28 Captain Len Thompson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virgomag 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture of Len in the clouds is absolutely beautiful !!!

To one of the true superstars of the mighty Collingwood football club, I bid you farewell. You may be gone but you will never be forgotten.

Heartfelt sympathy to all of Len's family, friends and the thousands of fans.
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:43 pm

IF THE BIGMAN UPSTAIRS HAD NOT ASKED LEN TO WALK UP THAT STAIRCASE LASTWEEK THEN MICK COULD HAVE ASKED LEN TO GO IN THE RUCK AGAINST OTTENS AND WE WOULD HAVE THRASHED THE PUSSIECATS
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:40 am

Ive got a really good pic of the banner with the lights looking like they are shining down from heaven. Will put it up when i take it off my phone.

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:38 pm

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
ozybelle 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:09 am

Great banner

I found a pic taken on 30/9/2004 of Len and I at the Copeland Trophy night..........he was always very approachable and very tall lol

Thanks Len
RIP
ponsfordstand 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:30 am

What a superstar ! Geez it was never from Thommo's lack of effort that those finals in his day didnt go our way. Here's a reminder.... 1970 GF - he kicks our last goal in 3rdQ and first in 4thQ, did all he could to see if we could hang on (and he wasnt even fit). 1971 1st Semi - comes off bench at half time and he dominates, we storm over Richmond to hit the front, coming from 5 goals down, but we just couldn't sustain it. 1972 - we're buggered with injuries: no McKenna or Price (and of course no Greening), but he plays sensationally. In the First Semi we play 2 debutants we are stuffed with injuries and we almost win - Thommo is B.O.G. 1973 at the start of Prelim he switches to CHF, kicks 3 in first half, but we lose narrowly. 1974 Elim. thrashes Garry Dempsey and we win by heaps. 1977 GF the Norm Smith should be retrospectively awarded - he dominates entire game, but we draw.
What a player!!!!!
R.I.P Thommo

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Wel said Pons !
That era is forever etched into my memories. Fantastic team and players, with big Len leading by example. Pity they could never bring home the silverware. Any youngsters out there that hasnt seen the above, do yourself a favour. Yes, history only remembers the victors, but regardless these blokes and especially our 70 team were the best on the day.(pity not on THE biggest day!)

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:02 pm

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22491828-2862,00.html

Len Thompson draws one more capacity crowd
Article from: Herald Sun

Matthew Schulz

September 27, 2007 02:20pm

MELBOURNE'S football royalty filled St Paul's Cathedral in the city this morning to celebrate the life of legendary Collingwood ruckman Len "Thommo" Thompson.
Thompson died suddenly last week, 42 years to the day after making his stunning debut as an 18-year-old for the Pies in the 1965 preliminary Grand Final against Essendon.

Today, he drew a capacity crowd of about 1200 mourners to remember his achievement as a footy player, father and friend.

Among them were great mates, fellow teammates and adversaries alike.

They included mates Des Tuddenham, Mike Williamson, Barry Breen, Gary Dempsey, Peter McKenna and John Nicholls.

All had played with or against him and all spoke tributes about one of the greatest ruckmen Australia has seen.

Most of the country's Aussie Rules elite were there, in black-and-white ties or in their own colours.

There was Alex Jesaulenko, Tom Hafey, Leigh Matthews, Bobby Skilton, Tony Shaw, David Parkin, Peter Knights and Peter Daicos.

And filing into the service was also Eddie McGuire, Nathan Buckley and John Elliot.

Even Pies cheer squad president "Joffa" was there in a suit.

Early on in the two-hour service Thompson's sons Nicolas, Sam and Lachlan paid tribute to the man.

"Most of you knew him as a legend. To us he was just Dad," said Lachlan, who listed a series of his father's eccentricities.

"His favourite food was sweet and sour pork – no veggies, and he'd only ever drink a beer from a pot, never a jug – and he could tell the difference.''

Another revelation was that he hated being mistaken as "Glenn" and that despite being an electrician by trade "he couldn't change a light bulb".

But his voice broke as he recalled that his father ended every phone call with "love you".

Daughter Laura said "my heart is broken", but that "the love and adoration our Dad felt for his children will help fill the hole in our hearts".

"He will never be further than a thought away from us," she said.

Despite his fame, he was still to shy to introduce himself to other greats of the game such as Michael Voss and Wayne Carey, she said.

"He was in awe of legends of the game, as though he didn't know he was one," she said.

But good mate and fellow former Pies player Des Tuddenham was certain that was how the man he treated as a brother would be remembered.

He said he spoke partly on behalf of "all those guys that used to fight around the goals", many of whom were in the church.

"He was a great footballer all round, and he had a heart of gold," he said.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said he had not known him from the field.

"I met him like thousands of others from the stands, marvelling at his ruck work," he said.

He said his play had inspired many other Collingwood players, with many of the current crop meeting him recently at their Lexus Centre headquarters.

And while Barry Breen recalled Thommo's strike for more pay for players had led the way for modern professional salaries had created a rift with his beloved Pies in the '70s, Mr McGuire said those days were "forgotten" by the club.

"Len made peace with Collingwood," he said.

He would be remembered only as "one of Collingwood's greatest sons", he said.

Some of Australia's most accomplished musicians also performed musical tributes to the man identified on screens around the church only as "Thommo".

Tenor Peter Brockelhurst thundered a version of Ave Maria.

Mike Brady played One Day in September, with lyrics that declared:
Thommo you're a part of this whole town
In life, you were the best man on the ground.

Kate Ceberano sang Bette Midler's Wind Beneath my Wings, to a slideshow of Thompson's life shown on the screens.

Outside, Thompson's sons, daughters and former partners struggled to control their emotions as a huge throng spilled out of the church, stopping traffic in Flinders St.

Most let the tears flow as the bells of St Paul's began to peal and the hearse carrying the hero, friend and father slowly drew away.

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:43 pm

It was a beautiful service, befitting a beautiful man.....
luvlicca Virgo

Oh Nicky your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:22 pm

I just hope that at some stage during the day I get to see some form of pictures/news about it. Perth are hopeless when it comes to stuff like this!!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:22 pm

just saw highlights of the service on sky news. certainly appeared befitting of a man of his stature.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:34 pm

I liked how Tuddy said he has 7 brothers, Len was his 8th and thats why he wore the number 8.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:40 am

Here is Eddie's tribute, moving stuff.

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/mediaplayer/audio/AFL/eddie-mcguire-tribute-to-len-thompson-1003

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:24 am

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/len-thompson/

The Brownlow Medallists: Len Thompson
https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-brownlow-medallists-len-thompson/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: