Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Milenium Cup

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blasioli 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 1999 5:43 am
Post subject: Milenium CupReply with quote

Hi, I'm livivng in the uSA, I heard about the chance of a game between the Pies and Carlton on New Year's Eve. Can anyone give me more details.
Thanks,
Julie.

Nick 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 1999 10:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie

Reprint from 'The Age' 3rd March:
quote:

Confusion surrounds millennium eve footy blockbuster
By Emma Quayle, Age Online

Plans announced today for a `Game of the Century' between Carlton and Collingwood on New Year's Eve have already been thrown into confusion, with players claiming they weren't informed of the plan until after the match was already confirmed.

While the idea, already dubbed by some as the "Millennium Cup" was approved by AFL Players' Association chief Andrew Demetriou last week, those who are supposed to be playing on the night only found out when the story broke last night. The match, at the MCG, will be played just one day after the traditional Boxing Day cricket Test finishes, leaving the ground staff with plenty of work to get the ground ready for football in time.

"The players were asked for their support this morning, and if they didn't support it the game wouldn't have gone ahead," said Demetriou.

"The players obviously have questions, and they'll form a working party at each club to come to us and talk through some other issues. I don't think there's an issue that can't be discussed, and I'm sure there's going to be some that we haven't thought of yet."

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said his players had all had been told about the game, and that while there were some questions, each one was keen to play. His Carlton counterpart, John Elliott, said that while his team's players had not been asked about the idea, he was sure they would support it. "We haven't had a meeting, but they'll play," said Elliott.

The match - launched by Victorian Premier, Jeff Kennett, will form part of the government's entertainment package to welcome in the new millenium, details of which will be announced on 19 March.

The game was designed to "give some of the hundreds of thousands of fans the opportunity to be somewhere that is relevant for them on New Year's Eve," the Premier said.

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 24 March 1999).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: