Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:37 am
Post subject: What's the last movie you watched?Reply with quote

what happened to daves old movie thread? anyways i think we should have a running thread to discuss latest movies you've seen, recommendations etc..

im about to watch 12 angry men. will post thoughts later...
Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

An all time favourite with a superb ensemble cast. Enjoy, Kingswood.
BlackAndWhiteSince87 Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:00 am

Saw New Moon last night.

If you havn't read the books,or seen Twilight,don't bother.

If you're a fan of the series,you'll enjoy it.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:52 pm

movies: a christmas carol
dvd: don't tell mom the babysitter's dead

both enjoyable.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Leatherheads was the last film I saw - George Clooney, Renee Zellweger and John Krasinski from The Office (US).

Not bad, pretty light fare, but enjoyable. A romcom of sorts set during the advent of professional football in the US - mid 1920's.

3 stars

Buttsy-Bells 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:27 pm

My last was The Aviator. Won a double Gold Class recently so will have to find a suitable follow up. Watching this thread with interest.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:42 pm

The Mother and the Whore - early '70s French film. 3 and a half hours long, very talky, but a brilliant (and damning) exploration of post-'68 views of sexual liberation and gender roles. Has a great ending in which one of the characters gives an incredible monologue.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=25695096

(warning: in French, but the English subtitles contain some pretty strong language)

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood wrote:
^

An all time favourite with a superb ensemble cast. Enjoy, Kingswood.

Absolutely brilliant movie. I've never seen anything like it. The whole movie is in real time, set in one room, and follows a discussion. nothing more, no car chases, no sex scenes, no explosions, etc etc

But the dialogue, the script and the acting all kept you in suspense. I love the fact that they started off seemingly making it look like a black and white case so even if the audience wanted to believe the kid is innocent they found it a tough time seeing how they would argue for it.

Henry Fonda was brilliant and so was the Juror who breaks down last. Not easy playing the bad guy and he did it with perfection.

On a side note, for anyone who saw it.. the last monologue given by the Juror where everyone walks away from the table, the version that I watched it was a pretty tame speech. But then I read an excerpt from the movie on another site and this was the same speech:

Quote:
Juror #10: I don’t understand you people. I mean all these little picky points you bring up don’t mean nothing. They don't mean nothing. How can you believe his story? You're an intelligent man and you're not gonna tell me you’re not. You know the facts of life. Just look at what we're dealing with. Just look at what we're dealing with here. You know him. You know this kid. And this guy over here, I don’t know what the hell is going on with him, all this talk about psychiatrists. Maybe he ought to go to one. Now let’s look at the facts. These people are born to lie. Now that’s the way they are and no intelligent man is gonna tell me otherwise. They don’t know what the truth is. You take a look at them, they’re different. They think different, they act different and they don’t need some big excuse to kill somebody either. (Juror #5 leaves to go to the bathroom) Well it's true, Everyone knows it. Smoking that crack. Nothing but crack heads. (about the juror leaving) Look at him: Smart guy, Uncle Tom. What does that mean? Slamming the door. Anyway these people get drugged out and then BANG, all of a sudden somebody’s lying dead in the gutter. Okay look, nobody's blaming them for it. That’s just the way they are by nature. You know what I mean, they’re violent. And human life don’t mean as much to them as it does to us. (Juror #11 also leaves to go into the bathroom) Where you going? Where you going? Look while you’re in there maybe you ought to clean out your ears. Maybe you can hear something. Now look, listen to me now. These Spics they stay high on dope and they fight all the time. Look, if somebody gets killed, so somebody gets killed; they don’t care. And they breed like animals. Okay sure, there's some good things about them, I'm the first guy to tell you that. I've known some who are okay but that's the exception.
Juror #9 (Hume Cronyn): Do you know you're a sick man? Sit down.
Juror #10: You old son of a bitch, who are you? No, who the hell is he to tell me that… sit.. No, I’m speaking my piece here today and you're gonna listen. There's not one of them, not one that's any good. NOT ONE! You hear that? Sympathetic bastards And you at the window, you're so goddamn smart. We're facing a danger. Don't you know that? These wetbacks are multiplying like rabbits. They come over here illegally and they're multiplying five times faster than my people. That’s five times faster brothers. And they're wild animals. They're against us. They hate us. They want to destroy us. They come over here and they benefit from everything that we've built. That's right. Don't look at me like that. There's a danger. We are living in a dangerous time brother. If we don't smack them down. If we don't do something every chance we get then they're gonna own us. They're going to breed us out of existence.

Much more graphic and revealing. I wonder why it was sugared up in the version I watched.

Anyways sorry for the long post but its one night later and I'm still thinking about it. Great movie, an instant favourite.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:26 pm

There was a remake made in the '90s, I think. Maybe that's where that dialogue is from?
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I saw The Damned United last weekend. I am not a huge soccer fan but this was an excellent film although an English mate of mine (who barracks for Leeds) assures me that the film is a major libel against Don Revie and the Leeds United team of the seventies. Be that as it may, Brian Clough was one of the most interesting soccer managers (coach) of his generation and the film is one of the more interesting sports themed movies made this decade.
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 pm

^
Check out "Judgement At Nuremberg" - that's another classic with similar themes and a brilliant cast. Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Judy Garland, Maximillian Schell, Marlene Dietrich, and others - a brilliant and still challenging film.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:20 pm

David wrote:
There was a remake made in the '90s, I think. Maybe that's where that dialogue is from?

you're right, i just looked it up. perhaps thats it. whats funny though is in the remake its a black guy giving that speech. just not that the same. then again a flaw of the original probably is that its unlikely having an all white male jury on a murder trial
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:17 am

The last film I paid for at the pictures was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I think I'd rather stay home and watch them on DVD while sipping on pina coladas.

Why do people talk, eat noisily and fornicate at the pictures? Shocked
Chinaman John M Capricorn

I put a spell on you

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:07 am

Endgame - just brilliant
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:18 am

samson and delilah. the lack of dialogue was a winner.

off to see 'in the loop' tonight. apparently it is yes, prime minsteresque.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 1 of 239   

Jump to: