Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Every time I see about the cyclists getting doored, I think why is there a bike lane there? On extremely busy roads with parking both sides? And the cyclist so often are not gonig at a reasonable speed. Walk to the footy at Etihad from the car park near Costco, the cyclist think they are in the Tour de France on a SHARED walkway.

This works both ways, there is no easy solution. Its not always possible to give enough room. There is a bike lane all the way down queen street, its a good metre wide, yet they ride on the line! As many as there are inconsiderate selfish drivers there are just as many stubborn arrogant cyclist refusing to stay in their lane.

I think the trouble is, where else do you put a bike lane? There's only so much space, and it's often a miracle that there are bike lanes at all.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:21 pm

maybe there should not be a bike lane if it comes with unrealistic expectations for cyclists thinking they can ride there at 60kph!

the only solution is a revamp, parking one side, 2 way bike lane the other, with controlled pedestrian walkways. who pays for it? easy, cyclists want equal rights they can start paying rego/TAC etc

i watched a couple of motorcyclist the other day splitting lanes between fast moving traffic, if they got knocked over by a car it would have been their own fault.

i didnt hear a motorized bike come up behind me when i was walking the dog a couple of days ago, on a SHARED path, this clown was doing at least 30kph, (and yes swoop i was keeping left!)

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:32 pm

David wrote:

I think the trouble is, where else do you put a bike lane?

Next to railways is best. On busy roads, cars, bikes and pedestrians need to be kept separate. It's just lazy and more cost effective to put bike lanes on roads.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:32 pm

think positive wrote:
maybe there should not be a bike lane if it comes with unrealistic expectations for cyclists thinking they can ride there at 60kph!

the only solution is a revamp, parking one side, 2 way bike lane the other, with controlled pedestrian walkways. who pays for it? easy, cyclists want equal rights they can start paying rego/TAC etc

i watched a couple of motorcyclist the other day splitting lanes between fast moving traffic, if they got knocked over by a car it would have been their own fault.

i didnt hear a motorized bike come up behind me when i was walking the dog a couple of days ago, on a SHARED path, this clown was doing at least 30kph, (and yes swoop i was keeping left!)

1. There should never be shared pathways: pedestrians are far too dangerous due to unpredicatability.
2. All road need to have designated bike paths
3. The road leading to the CBD should be one lane for cars and one for bikes
4. Bike riders should be given money as they by their pallow less cars on the road and do not pollute, do not wreck road & are an important part of health promotion:
5. Most bike riders are car owners & pay rego, Bikes do not wreck roads by their weight including me.
6. I don't use child care centres, womens hospitals, RSL etc & schools so why should my taxes pay for all that; this is the same logic as user pays (that is, not logical)
7. I wish I could do 60 km / hour (then again I do; down Olivers Hill Frankston).
8. People who use mobiles while driving should be jailed & lose their drivers license for 12 months with a $10,000 fine
9. Cars who do not give 1-1.5 meters when passing a bicycle while driving should lose their license and incur a $10,000 fine

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:35 pm

think positive wrote:
Thats awful, Im also wondering why he didnt find somewhere else to ride. Im guessing those cameras are not going to be a comfort to his wife and children. Fight the battle to change things, but riding with that mindset? Thats crazy

The bicyclist did not hit the car.
The car hit the cyclist.
In so doing the driver broke the law & killed him.
The driver needs to be jailed for murder and lose their licence and pay the family $25,000 as a minimum.
We need to put the respsibility on those who kill not the victims as is clearly and the case here.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 pm

roar wrote:
David wrote:

Next to railways is best. On busy roads, cars, bikes and pedestrians need to be kept separate. It's just lazy and more cost effective to put bike lanes on roads.

100% correct.

In terms of Melbourne I hate shared paths because pedestrians are so unpredicatable. Always use the road but don't ride down Kings street or Kings way or Spencer street in the CBD.

Roads leading to the CBD will be reducing to one lane (think London and congestion tax), bikes will have a separate lane demarcated by a copenhagen style bike lane or similar

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:27 pm

The number of cyclists I see now in the CBD fairly belting along is unreal. On the flat and downhill they're easily keeping pace with cars, and that's a safety issue in it's own right.

Bicycles can get up a fair clip but their ability to stop or even slow quickly is very poor, far poorer than a car or motorcycle. The government puts all these ridiculous unenforceable rules and regulations in place for battery or otherwise power assisted means of conveyance, yet you can belt along on a clapped out bicycle using your foot on the back tyre for brakes and as long as you're wearing a helmet you're fine.

I really hate when governments impose more and more regulation, I'm far happier letting Darwins law and common sense apply.

partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm

I just wish cyclists would rid themselves of the assumption they are displaying good manners by coming up behind you on a walking path and ringing their bell (scaring the crap out of you) to make you get out of their way. I was taught that you get off your bike and walk it when near pedestrians. Its spoiling the ambience of my favourite coastal walking path
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:13 pm

^

I wish they'd rid themselves of their attitude of self entitlement. Roads were built for cars and what works well in Europe doesn't work well here for a number of factors, one being geography.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:53 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
Thats awful, Im also wondering why he didnt find somewhere else to ride. Im guessing those cameras are not going to be a comfort to his wife and children. Fight the battle to change things, but riding with that mindset? Thats crazy

The bicyclist did not hit the car.
The car hit the cyclist.
In so doing the driver broke the law & killed him.
The driver needs to be jailed for murder and lose their licence and pay the family $25,000 as a minimum.
We need to put the respsibility on those who kill not the victims as is clearly and the case here.

If I swim with sharks I wont whinge if they eat me, he said he knew he would get hit there so why risk it? No point being right if your dead.

Again how much room was there? What were the circumstances? MY brother in law was killed on his motorcycle this year, apparently the trucks indicators failed, it was a dreadful accident, accidents happen, I had trail bikes I rode on on the road once, I didnt feel safe so I never did it again. I never said it was his fault mind you, I just said if he felt unsafe why risk it? Need to hear the full story before condemning the driver of the car. The details of the accident are not in that article.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Is this a historical question?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:57 pm

watt price tully wrote:
roar wrote:
David wrote:

100% correct.

In terms of Melbourne I hate shared paths because pedestrians are so unpredicatable. Always use the road but don't ride down Kings street or Kings way or Spencer street in the CBD.

Roads leading to the CBD will be reducing to one lane (think London and congestion tax), bikes will have a separate lane demarcated by a copenhagen style bike lane or similar

Why should a pedestrian walk in a predictable fashion so a bike can avoid him? The bike should be going at a slow pace, my cop sister pointed the sign out when a bike nearly took us out in the CBD last week. Too many go way too fast

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:38 pm

European cities are a lot smaller geographically than Australian ones. Cyclists can ride at an easy pace to wherever they want in 15 minutes.

It's easy to tell the different kind of cyclists in Melbourne, the ones motivated by fitness who wear the lycra and go hell for leather against the european style ones who do it for transportation and exert minimal effort.

The former are the problem.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 pm

I agree totally, they want to get their workout in on the way to work or home and stuff everyone else
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 pm

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
roar wrote:
David wrote:

100% correct.

Why should a pedestrian walk in a predictable fashion so a bike can avoid him? The bike should be going at a slow pace, my cop sister pointed the sign out when a bike nearly took us out in the CBD last week. Too many go way too fast

No one is asking them to be predictable.
I was giving a reason to explain why there should never be shard bicycle paths. It's a stupid idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 34 of 43   

Jump to: