Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
European cities are a lot smaller geographically than Australian ones. Cyclists can ride at an easy pace to wherever they want in 15 minutes.

It's easy to tell the different kind of cyclists in Melbourne, the ones motivated by fitness who wear the lycra and go hell for leather against the european style ones who do it for transportation and exert minimal effort.

The former are the problem.

Depends where you do it. Far too much of a generalization.
Bikes don't kill, cars do minus the very rare exception
I'll ride hell for leather along beach road where I can. Almost all drivers these days know it's a place where bicyckle riders ride.
I know the road well and where to ride fast nd where to slow down

Cars get out of the bike lane, stop parking in bike designated areas at lights, look before you open doors and learn to share the road & get off your hand held f*cking mobile phones while driving.

That is the problem.

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The number of cyclists I see now in the CBD fairly belting along is unreal. On the flat and downhill they're easily keeping pace with cars, and that's a safety issue in it's own right.

I go past cars regularly as cars have slowed down due in large part to traffic congestion. It might take me 5-10 mins slower than a car to get to work depending on the time of day. If I'm riding then that represents one less car on the road. On less vehicle polluting and adding to traffic congestion.

Out your way they need to build a bike lane on the roads: I could never imagine riding where there is so many skinny roads. They just need to add one more lane each way for bicycles only. I can't see why they don't simply widen them.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 pm

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
Thats awful, Im also wondering why he didnt find somewhere else to ride. Im guessing those cameras are not going to be a comfort to his wife and children. Fight the battle to change things, but riding with that mindset? Thats crazy

The bicyclist did not hit the car.
The car hit the cyclist.
In so doing the driver broke the law & killed him.
The driver needs to be jailed for murder and lose their licence and pay the family $25,000 as a minimum.
We need to put the responsibility on those who kill not the victims as is clearly and the case here.

If I swim with sharks I wont whinge if they eat me, .....

With a road that is designated for both cars and bicycles it is not whinging to request drivers to obey the law and not kill bicycle riders.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
Thats awful, Im also wondering why he didnt find somewhere else to ride. Im guessing those cameras are not going to be a comfort to his wife and children. Fight the battle to change things, but riding with that mindset? Thats crazy

The car hit the cyclist.
The driver needs to be jailed for murder and lose their licence and pay the family $25,000 as a minimum.
We need to put the responsibility on those who kill not the victims as is clearly and the case here.

With a road that is designated for both cars and bicycles it is not whinging to request drivers to obey the law and not kill bicycle riders.

Where does it say any of that in the article?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
roar wrote:
David wrote:

I think the trouble is, where else do you put a bike lane?

Next to railways is best. On busy roads, cars, bikes and pedestrians need to be kept separate. It's just lazy and more cost effective to put bike lanes on roads.

100% correct.

In terms of Melbourne I hate shared paths because pedestrians are so unpredicatable. Always use the road but don't ride down Kings street or Kings way or Spencer street in the CBD.

Roads leading to the CBD will be reducing to one lane (think London and congestion tax), bikes will have a separate lane demarcated by a copenhagen style bike lane or similar

Why should a pedestrian walk in a predictable fashion so a bike can avoid him? The bike should be going at a slow pace, my cop sister pointed the sign out when a bike nearly took us out in the CBD last week. Too many go way too fast

No one is asking them to be predictable.
I was giving a reason to explain why there should never be shard bicycle paths. It's a stupid idea

Something we agree on!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 pm

My tips ofr bike riders ( and I'll have a go at bike riders who for example do not stop at red lights or do not stop when a tram has stopped with the stop sing out)

1. Always wear a helmet
2. Ride on the innder aspect of the right side if a bike line that is closest to traffic as you need to be mindful of car dooring
3. Always stop at a red light: same with a tram
4. To the extent you can make eye contact with a driver
5. Avoid as much as possible shared paths
6. Always acknlowedge cars drivers who do the right thing
7. Have cameras on both ends of a bike
8. Wear bright colours: the object is to be noticed not just seen
9. Use up as much of the lane as you can when you feel you are at risk - cars are like gases & liquids: they'll use up as much available space as is allowed: the type of scenario here is usuelly for a few seconds uo to 20 seconds near intersections etc where bike lanes mysteriously disappears.
10. Do not take off too fast at a green light from a sttionary position as there is usually one d*ckhead of a driver who runs a red light.
11. When passing anothe bicyclist use the words passing before overtaking: basic etiquette do the same well before passing pedestrians : I usually say good morning, passing on your right for both bikes and pedestrians
12. Run over pedestrians who have headphones on while working their mobiles while crossing Swanson Street near RMIT: well may be not.
13. Try not to get too far ahead of the traffic. Use hand signals in advance (like indicators that a lot of drivers don't know how to use properly) to signal your intentions.
14. Use lights at night
15 Avoid primary schools during drop off and pick up times
16. Take extra care & be wary of taxi drivers all of the time: same applies to tow truck drivers

Then enjoy your ride

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:42 am

12 should be compulsory.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:02 am

I assume it's okay to run over any cyclist wearing a Richmond jumper?

Reversing and doing it a second time is the minimum standard expected for any Carlton supporter.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:06 pm

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

The car hit the cyclist.

Where does it say any of that in the article?

Sorry. It's a road. Roads are made for all sorts of vehicles which includes bicycles, cars, trucks, motor - cycles etc.

Queensland much ealier than Victoria had the 1 metre to 1.5 meters laws in place.

The driver:

1. Killed a cyclist
2. Broke QLD road rules

The Police ( or some police) in QLD:

1. Have failed to act on this fellows requests including video evidence in past dangerous driver law breakers
2. Have told the deceased cyclist in the past that they disagree with the road laws in queensland and therefore will not take any action (not in this article)

The police (not all) will be in deep shite over their selective attitude to the law and failing to perform their duties that is, keep and prosecute the law.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
12 should be compulsory.

You would have pups here in Thailand. It is almost madatory for motorcyclists to

a. Not bother wearing a helmet
b. Not bother getting a licence
c. Drive down the footpath to get around traffic islands and divided roads.
d. Smoke
e Operate a mobile phone or a tablet
f. Ignore police who also ignore them
g. Go through red lights with monotonous regularity
h. Treat pedestrians as targets,Bycyclists are just road kill
i Ride home drunk (mid you the foreigners are good at this as well and then bitch when caught)

j. Allow primary school kids to drive motorbikes to and from school and everywhere else.

and largely wonder why they road toll of about 20000 which only includes those who die at the scene.. If they die on the way or in hospital they are not included in the stats.

Combine that with pedestrians staring at phones and no pedestrian crossings it is a recipe for didaster.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:09 am

still reckon fat bottom girls is their third best song - its so good in the gym!
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 am

watt price tully wrote:
Dark Beanie wrote:
Looking for a bike computer for my brother (xmas gift).
He has suggested Cateye or Bontrager brand.

I have been looking at Cateye wireless, WPT can you suggest one?
We have bikes but have never researched or bought bike computers before.

I've had a cateye before and that was pretty good. Check the size of the display. The Bont is OK too need to check what a person wants from the computer too:

1. Speed
2. Cadence (RPM's)
3. Backlit for the dark
4. Distance
5. Hear rate
6. Chargeability (usb is best)
7. Time on bike ride

etc

The cateye seems to have one at wiggle but you can compare prices. This one can connect to a smart phone if your brother is IT savvy and into that. I have no idea how good it is , but seems pretty good

http://www.wiggle.com.au/cateye-padrone-digital-wireless-cc-pa400b-speed-caden/

You can spend $20 - over $1,000 as another factor to consider

Thanks WPT.

I purchased a Cateye Velo Wireless as it was under budget (max. $100) and had most of the features.

Wiggle didn't have much in stock (seems to be a constant issue at the moment) so I ordered online at Anaconda. Got it $30 off by signing up for club discount. Also purchased a couple of Camelbak water bottles with cap over the drinking spout which are good for any off road biking or just keeping dirt out - 1 for my brother, 1 for hubby for Xmas.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm

watt price tully wrote:
My tips ofr bike riders ( and I'll have a go at bike riders who for example do not stop at red lights or do not stop when a tram has stopped with the stop sing out)

1. Always wear a helmet
2. Ride on the innder aspect of the right side if a bike line that is closest to traffic as you need to be mindful of car dooring
9. Use up as much of the lane as you can when you feel you are at risk - cars are like gases & liquids: they'll use up as much available space as is allowed: the type of scenario here is usuelly for a few seconds uo to 20 seconds near intersections etc where bike lanes mysteriously disappears.
10. Do not take off too fast at a green light from a sttionary position as there is usually one d*ckhead of a driver who runs a red light.
11. When passing anothe bicyclist use the words passing before overtaking: basic etiquette do the same well before passing pedestrians : I usually say good morning, passing on your right for both bikes and pedestrians
12. Run over pedestrians who have headphones on while working their mobiles while crossing Swanson Street near RMIT: well may be not.
13. Try not to get too far ahead of the traffic. Use hand signals in advance (like indicators that a lot of drivers don't know how to use properly) to signal your intentions.
14. Use lights at night
16. Take extra care & be wary of taxi drivers all of the time: same applies to tow truck drivers

Then enjoy your ride

Interesting.

This is what I prefer;

1 - Never wear a helmet, love the wind through my hair.
2 - Never go on the road, unless you have to cross it. Roads are for; cars, buses, truck and other big fast things that will **** you bad.
3 - Never wear lycra.
4 - Have the old school pedals with straps, they can be fully adjusted to accommodate my surfer joe thongs
5 - Wear boardies and a tank top for comfort.
6 - Passing fat lycra clad wankers on the path next to them on the road is my most favourite of all.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Skids wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

1. Always wear a helmet
14. Use lights at night

Then enjoy your ride

Interesting.

This is what I prefer;

1 - Never wear a helmet, love the wind through my hair. Wind through your combover is not wind through your hair
2 - Never go on the road, unless you have to cross it. Roads are for; cars, buses, truck and other big fast things that will **** you bad. I'd say never ride in WA when Skids is driving
3 - Never wear lycra. Dufus: lycra beathes and wiks: the jerseys pockets carry all ur needs:
4 - Have the old school pedals with straps, they can be fully adjusted to accommodate my surfer joe thongs: Like your thinking: so 1960's
5 - Wear boardies and a tank top for comfort. Y es get sunburnt: of course what does the anti cancer council know?
6 - Passing fat lycra clad wankers on the path next to them on the road is my most favourite of all Looks like a case of pot calling kettle black.
. Someone doing something they like is a wanker: remind me to tell that one to the under 15's they should relate to it. Just reinforces negative stereotypes of some old & out of touch tradies (unfortunately)

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Does Australia have the worst drivers in the world in realtion to bicycle riders?
Is Skids's attitude representative of what is wrong with our driving culture?

I know some of his reponses are said in jest but the verbal abuse one can cop these days for simply riding a bicycle is amazing: In my experience most if not all driving dickheads who go out of their way to be abusive in the roads or throw things at you when riding are males. Women just don't do that shit. However women are increasingly are on the phones texting etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/14/we-are-not-doing-enough-why-is-australia-failing-its-cyclists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 35 of 43   

Jump to: