Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood v Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2000 11:28 am
Post subject: Collingwood v SydneyReply with quote

With thanks to JB who emailed this match report to me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Here are my views of the practice match against Swans...started off pretty badly with Buckley being pinned with the ball in the opening minutes. The first quarter was our poorest scoring 1.3, but obviously we improved greatly to win by 8 goals.

The boys still don't seem to have a plan for kick outs, which was disappointing but more disappointing was that at least in 2 instances we had the ball 60 m from goal (from a mark) and didn't have anyone to kick it to within the 50m arc- SHOCKING!!!! In one of these cases Buckley had the ball, it was horrifying to see the player being told to play on.

Some specific points:
-Ukovic sprinted out of nowhere to lay a strong (and successful) tackle on a Sydney player, didnt know he had so much speed. He teamed up twice with Leon in the 4th quarter for goals. Both played very well. Leon kicked a Daicos-like boundary line goal, he will be a brilliant player!

-Josh Fraser was the better ruckman than Brad Smith, although I thought Smith dropped back better than Josh.

-Ant Rocca took some good marks, but not so good at goals

-Mal Micheal took some extremely good strong marks again not too good in front of goal

-Our shocker in front of goal was Brent Tuckey, missed everything (I think), duing the half time break he was practising his goal kicking with the forward coache, he got 2 out of 7, no wind!

-Shane Watson did well of the bench scored maybe 4 goals, good to see he his back in town.

-Scott Burns also came of the bench and was good in defence

-Damien Adkins was a surprise, he went in for the hard balls as did Ben Johnson.

-Paul Licuria (very hot body wise), had quite a few touches, good at times. Rupert Betheras was good towards the end, otherwise quiet.

-Freeborn very quiet.

-Tyson Lane a few bad mistakes but not as bad as Shane O'bree, I have nothing good to say about O'Bree he cost us at least one goal, I saw him at the NYE game, didn't like him then, don't like him now-hopeless!

That's most of the team, the remaining few did little to impress, Mark Richardson spent the whole 3/4 on the bench where he belongs with Lane.

Although it was a win and the guys looked good against Sydney, it was only Sydney and they were pretty bad. I watched the Sydney/Nth game here and Sydney played better then. i am worried about how good we will fare against good teams, kick outs and kicking into forwatd 50m was disappointing and could cost us against better teams. Enjoyable game though.

Go Pies!

JB

GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2000 11:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4

Collingwood 1.3 8.8 12.10 15.14
Sydney 1.4 2.6 5.11 8.12

The side was:

B:Lockyer Prestigiacomo N. Davis
HB: Walsey Richardson Kinnear
C: O'Bree Buckley Betharas
HF: Johnson A. Rocca Freeborn
F: Lane Tuckey Michael

Rucks: Fraser, Licuria, Adkins

Bench: L. Davis, Watson, Smith, Ukovic

Well that was a great game to watch, the new players are all going to be great, especially Leon and Josh.

MM notices everything, before the match was started the centre square was being watered and he approached the groundsman to discuss what was happening and to inspect the centre square.

The game was played in 31 C with little breeze to cool the players. The first quarter was played at 3/4 pace with Pies having the most of the play but the delivery into the forward line was like last year with no crumbers (Leon was on the bench). The shooting for goal was poor in this quarter with Tuckey having three shots for 1 point. Josh went off early and Smith was in the ruck where we were murdered. I don't think Smith touched the ball in the first quarter. Our only goal came at the end from a free kick to Lane (deserved). Observations for the quarter are that N. Davis is no backman and that Smith could not get a kick in a street fight. Bucks had 10 possesions, Adkins and Licuria played well.

Watson and Leon are on for the start of the second quarter. Another Bucks possession in the centre results in a goal to Watson at the 30 second mark. Great ruck work from A. Rocca to Leon results in his first of six for the day. Josh is winning in the ruck and around the ground. Adkins kicks a great goal from 50 on the run. Brilliant skills from Leon for a goal, another from Bucks from 50 metres. Leon with silky skills gets yet another goal. Ben Johnson goals and we are burning. I am sitting near the Swans box and Eade is screaming blue murder. Best for Pies in the second are Adkins, L. Davis, Licuria, Fraser, Kinnear and Buckley.

To 1/2 time Tuckey has had 6 shots at goal for 3 points. He is sent onto the ground for goal kicking practice during the break.

Bucks and Josh are rested at the start of the second quarter and we are killed in the ruck once more. The Swans score a few goals, one from the seven free kicks to none their way in the first ten minutes of the quarter. The pies settle with a goal to Watson after great play by Michael, another soon after by Michael after a great pass from Schauble. A 40 metre pass from Leon to Michael results in another goal and Waston gets a goal from a clever tap on from Michael. Another top quarter by the pies unlike many third quarters of late. Best for the Quarter are Adkins, Michael, A. Rocca, and Ukovic. A. Rocca has started this game slowly but has done a lot of hard work. He has a bit of mongrel in him and runs straight at his opponents. I have liked his game today and his work ethic.

During 3/4 time Laidley addresses the players and MM stands on the edge.

The final quarter starts slowly with yet another point to Tuckey. Leon kicks a brilliant goal, and then another. Then his finest for the day. He beats two Swans and with Daics precision threads his sixth through the goal from a tight angle. The crowd goes wild and Leon salutes them. He is immediately dragged from the ground to a standing ovation from the Canberra crowd. Collingwood are 62 points ahead at this stage and stop. The Swans get a few consolation goals before the and of the game.
Best: Leon, Bucks, Ukovic and Betharas.

We sing Good old collingwood forever and head for the club where I am going now for a beer. I hope this gives Nicks web community an idea of what happened today, it was only a practice match but the Swans wanted to win because they see Canberra as a place to make money and generate support for their club.

Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2000 12:18 pm

Fantastic reports guys, keep it up coz I get bugger all here in Taipei. Be back in Manila for 2nights ansett GF, but then back to Taipei where you guys are my only contact. I'm sure all ex-pats appreciate your reports so goodonya.

paul 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2000 1:51 pm

Thanks giys, top stuff from the Canberra Bureau of CNN (Collingwood Network News).
Nick 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2000 5:51 am

We had server problems yesterday which caused both the Bulletin Board and Live Scoreboard to be temperamental, so I apologise to anyone who had trouble getting on to either.

Some people just won't be put off and when they couldn't get the to the bb, emailed their match reports to me. Thanks JB (above) and Gazza (below). As pns has already said, those of us who can't get to games appreciate your thoughtfulness.
---------------------------------------------

The match against the swans was great! After a slow start in the first quarter we got right on top and kicked 7 goals to 1 in the second. It was probably that Leon Davis came on then. This kid is going to be a star he did some amazing things today and ended up with 6 goals although he was on the bench for almost half the game.Josh Fraser, Ukovic, Watson , Burns and Mal Michael all did good things. When Buckley was resting we lost our way a bit. Tuckey got a lot of the ball but couln't kick straight 0 goals out of 5 or 6 shots. Ant also missed from 2 or 3 shots. Lucuria gave a lot of drive around the ground. Poor old O'Bree had a shocker! He played on in defence at one stage, ran from half back flank sraight to CHB, bouncing 2 or 3 times, then kept running, forgot to bounce and gave away a free which resulted in a goal.Over all we totally dominated to win by the 44 points despite letting them score 3 easy goals at the death. It feels that some good things are going to start with this season . It's been a long wait since the early nineties.

Gazza from Canberra
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2000 6:56 am

great reports everyone. but i wouldn't give up on O'bree just because of one bad game. i've got no doubt he'll be one of our most important possession-winners this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: