Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood vs. Adelaide

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 3:59 pm
Post subject: Collingwood vs. AdelaideReply with quote

There was a real buzz at the MCG today as I walked around the ground. The membership marquees were all doing huge business; so much so that I gave up on collecting my membership cap until I ran into my niece who directed me to a shortcut...an official clipping already purchased tickets. So it was that I and 6 family members settled into our seats on level 2(G.S.Stand)and waited. The pre match entertainment of the "Three Tenors" certainly was an improvement on Hawthorn's effort last week; the hovercraft!Remember that?????
Five minuted into the game, the Adelaide jerk in front of me
was suggesting that collingwood looked flat and lethargic.
I agreed under my breath and thought a long frustrating day was ahead.You all know the result but for those of you not there, a few observations.
This team plays as a TEAM. There is a palpable feeling of spirit and tenacity and the young guys who make plenty of mistakes just keep coming back for more.
Adkins's confidence today in delivering the ball through a seeming inpenetrable pack was awe inspiring. Buckley again proved what a genius he is. Tarrant settled back well.
Betheras was sensational in his spirit and attack on the ball.
Josh Fraser is amazing me with his ability and calm under pressure.Williams and Anthony Rocca played near their best and Sav's 5 were a real bonus. Licuria and Lockyer were both terrific under pressure and in getting the hard ball.
33000 Pies fans made an enormous racket today..it was terrific...but the test comes in the next couple of weeks.
We'll see next week, just how much we can expect for the season.
The train back to Vic Park was just like the old days...a buzz and a lot of laughing and singing.
Bring on the Blues!

[This message has been edited by Neil Appleby (edited 19 March 2000).]

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 5:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Great stuff from the TEAM today! It was looking (after 3 quick goals to Adelaide) like they would run over the top of us. But due to the aforementioned "tenacity", and non stop attitude of the young blokes the TEAM eventually ran over the top, not to mention at the right time. Williams was brilliant in the first half, but was quelled by I think Riccuto in the second half after beating Edwards easily for the first half. Both Roccas were sensational, Sav in ther second half and Anthony for the whole game. Neon Leonstill seems a little off the pace of AFL level at this stage, but I think it might be an idea to keep him in the senior linup so he can get the experience he needs. He really needs to use his pace to hs advantage, similar to that he showed in the Port match. Anyway thats all I'm gonna write today. Oh by the way, the crowd made alot of noise even for its size, it wasn't as evident on tv though (i taped it). Carn Pies!!
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 5:47 pm

Bucks also emphasised that the 2000-model Collingwood is all about togetherness. "We live or die as a side," he said. "Everything we do now is as a team."

This was taken the official COLLINGWOOD site
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 5:57 pm

Has anyone got a voice left?
My vocal chords are cactus.

You know, the great thing about today was that, really, we didn't play all that well. And yet we still won. Last year's side would have lost that game narrowly, no doubt.

A few times in the first half I got that horrible sinking feeling again. A few 1999-style clangers here and there. Whenever we fought back Adelaide seemed to have the answers. I thought we were on our way to one of those "honourable defeats" that we seemed to experience nearly every week last season.
But somehow, we got over the line.

I thought the old-timers were our strength today. Williams kept us in the game in the first half and Sav presented himself in the second. Bucks was his usual brilliant self.

Last week someone mentioned that Josh's disposal was poor at times. This week he was probably the worst offender for clangers. I'm not sure about Leon Davis now. I hope we haven't made that old Collingwood mistake of hyping a young player up too early. I hope he can recapture his pre-season form.

What a day. Even the Legends members in the N-section were chanting! Mind you, they took some coaxing
That's the greatest noise that a Collingwood crowd has made in years. I remember two years ago against the Crows at the MCG, the Adelaide fans drowned us out.

------------------
**floreat pica**

I@n S 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 6:05 pm

What a great game. I will start with how my Dad started: Ok here I go
Got out of bed with a mixed feelings about playing football myself and Collingwood. So I got a lift with a team mate and a family Friend of 13 or so years(Mich@el in this Bulletin Board), and a Collingwood fan also. I started the game in the back pocket and did pritty well because the guy I was on only hit the ball out of bounds and thats all he did. Then I moved to Centure half forward, felt sick because of a punch in the Guts. Michael was punched in the Jaw but not enough to need heavy treatment. After all this came half time and then the other players at our club played becaues its a pracky match. By this time its 1:30pm and I ask Mich@el and his dad it they want to go to Collingwoods game. Mich@el said he was not sure because of vision problems with having only one Contact lens and an old pair of glasses.
So we tossed a coin and I won, so this dissided that we are going to the game.
And I was glad I won the toss because it was one of the best games I have seen in a long time.
Bucks and sav won us the game
Go Pies!!!!!! Bring on Carlton

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 12:25 pm

Greg, I was IN the Legends Section! N-11 to be exact. There seemed to be plenty of noise coming from further around towards the goals but it was tending to peter out by the time it got to about N-9 or N-10. But fortunately a few brave individuals took it upon themselves (ourselves) to stir things up a bit. I gave N-11 a good talking to towards the end of the 1st quarter and they responded which amazed me actually. And there was a guy in N-10 who seemed to be leading N-10 and N-9.
This is great stuff. The members' actually chanting. At Victoria Park, the Ryder Stand used to be as boring as bat shit. I gave them up and joined the Cheer Squad in 1998, but they were even more boring, so now I'm in the Legends. Greg, its up to people like you and me to re-educate the bourgeoisie in the noble art of being loud and proud.

I was only one bay away from Wayne Jackson yesterday. Great opportunity to voice my opinion on a range of issues and have my opinions heard, but I was in too good a mood so I didn't bother. I was almost going to blame him for the umpiring in the 1st quarter but there were a few kids around and I'd made a conscious decision not to use the F-word or the C-word.

Come to think of it, I reckon its a good idea to blame Jackson for anything and everything. Some people blame God, or the Devil, or the Government. I'll blame Jackson from now on.

WAYNE JACKSON IS RESPONSIBLE FOR WORLD POVERTY AND STARVATION, THE TWO WORLD WARS, THE DEPLETION OF THE OZONE LAYER, AND THE GST. CURSE YOU, JACKSON. I HATE YOU, JACKSON, YOU F-ing C.

------------------
**floreat pica**

paul 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 1:50 pm

Alf and Greg, I can tell you that they were even chanting in the Smokers stand...And coming out of the long room to join in...it was electric.

Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 3:42 pm

Hey Paul is the smoker end at the punt rd end?

Alf I'll agree with u all the way there about the official Cheer squd being boring. Us unofficial cheer squad sat next to them and I just can't belive their chants, they are so quiet, and they only have one chant (Carn the woods). It was the Unofficial Cheer Squad who started most of the chants at the punt rd end and with less people in the unofficial we were even louder than the official.

Overall. What a FANTASTIC WIN by all the young guys and all players. It ment even more to me this win because it was my 19th B'day. One of my dreams came true!!

Go the mighty Pies, lets kicks Carlton's Ass in on Sunday.

#Nick Davis Kicks ASS !!!!!!!! #19
Bill Banks 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:30 pm

If I ever needed Nick's site I need it now. I'm in Rome at an Internet cafe near St. Peter's basilica after trying to ring people at home to get the scores. Fantastic now to know that the side got up.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 8:04 pm

To Magpie Gal 19

The "Smoker's Stand" is that old grandstand on the wing where the M.C.C. members sit. In the cricket season they are the ones who always refuse to join in on the Mexican Wave. Then the yobbos in the Outer boo them. It's a bit of a tradition.

Paul, I'm amazed at what you're saying. Normally the Smokers are as quiet as church mice. And there I was thinking that they all barracked for Melbourne!!

------------------
**floreat pica**

paul 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 2:12 pm

I would say 90% of the people in the Pavilion and Long Room were Magpies on Sunday, the rest were neutral.

There were high fives all round after the game. I was sitting right next to the coaches box in the first half. It was interesting to observe MM at various stages. At half time I watched from the long room until the chanting started.

THe Collingwood supoorters were barracking just as loudly inside and outside as those in the rest of the ground.

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 3:41 pm

Hey,

There was heaps of noise in Level P, Southern Stand too. It don't matter who you are or what membership you have. We are all Pie supporters with the ONE hope. Another Pie Pennant.
Bring on Carlscum !

------------------
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netspace.net.au/~clemo
Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:03 pm

Thanks Alf. I have only sat in the AFL members and now the Punt Rd end.

Also I would like to say that it was a FANTASTIC WIN by ALL of the players. Just hope we can kicks Carlton's ass in so that we can stick it up to all those stupid Blue fans.

#19 Nick Davis kicks ASS!!!!!!!1
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 5:18 pm

as usual the area directly behind the bench was pretty sparse except for myself. i'm ALWAYS sitting behind the bench wearing my no.16, and last saturday there was a hearty bunch of rain-brave supporters crowded behind me. we were dancing in the aisles at the end of the game! beautiful stuff. by the way, basically anyone in the stadium can spot me because i tend to stand up and wave my arms around every time we score a goal. the no.16 is pretty recognisable. paul can testify to this.
^*Cl|T*^ 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 8:02 pm

Hopefully, there will be no sparsely populated parts at the game this week, even behind the bench where u sit foxy. Lets hope we get a sellout, it's our home game so we will get all the takings. Meanwhile if Jack stands up to the AFL, Carlton will only reap the rewards of a 30-35000 gate at the OO. Although i'll be disappointed if i can't get a seat if both teams are still in finals contention at Round 18.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: