Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Match Report - Round 2 Wizzy Cup v Hawks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed from WA Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:33 pm
Post subject: Match Report - Round 2 Wizzy Cup v HawksReply with quote

Match Report from afar off loungechair.

Round 2 wizzy cup v Hawks.
Both sides had a few stars out,probably Hawks were missing a few more than us.
Anyway the orange bloke bounced the nut and its game on.

Before i had got comfy in the chair Everitt had won 2 tapouts and a kick later each one was a Hawk goal.
Lonie used his head,lekkas used his.lekkas went off to have some sewing done.
We snag a point thru Williams,but its back down the hawks end in no time and they get a point.
Umpires may be named different this week but they are just as unpredictable.Once again the holding the ball rule is not included in todays proceedings and once again very few tackles were rewarded for the efforts all day.
Williams leads,marks and kicks a point.
same old wasteful pies as usual.Woey takes a speccy gives off to tarks,who is busy early and Didak slams thru a 9 pointer?orange mug says no its a 6er.
5 minutes in and Everitt gets his 10 ruck tap and the ball is in hawks fwd pocket as often as everitt wins a tap,but we rebound just as often,attacks starting from the back pocket become the norm as rhyce shaw races it out to mckee off to lonie on to Tarks who gets a free outside 50,gains 50 penalty and completely stuffs it up and kicks a point.
Presti has it at back pocket before the flag is waved but a series of passes gets it up to taz who snaps a goal.
forward thrusts are stymied as players wait up to 30 sec before kicking,Williams marks and misses everything.
Mckee finally wins a tap,but everitt gets a free and hawks goal.
Cloke goes a long bomb on the run from 52 and its a 9 er!!!
no orange mugs wont pay 9 only 6 again.
This rule is too silly for words,as are the scumps.
Some good 2nd efforts by leon and Lonie get it to Taz who gets a soft free and kicks a goal.
dids tries again for a 9er at qtrs end and hits the post.
29-20 our way at qtr time.
2nd qtr starts like the first with everitt winning clearly,but we shark it thru Cloke,dids and lonie combine with a bit of mollymagic and some hard running sees dids goal on the run.
as in the first qtr the ball is in the back pocket after most centre bounces and its rebound footy.
lokan and shaw get a bit of it,but disposal is the problem and hawks unguarded in front of pack snap a goal.
after akamanis effort in GF i didnt expect to see this occur again but it did ,and a minute late hawks did a repeat of it.Then everitt roved his own tap and ran to 50 to slam a 9er(scump paid this one).
Molly brings a bit of joy to our side with a mark and goal that is also a 9er.
Williamsd marks but takes too long before passing to cole who fluffs it.No score,then cole is outpointed hopelessly as hawks goal .
Ant marks and passes to kinnear who passes to aleading Taz.
GOAL!!
Ant gets a free at the bouce and hits Didak on the tit with a 65 metre pass and Dids goals.
Leon marks on the lead,plays on to outside 50 for a shot at a 9er but settles for a oner.
hawks mark on the siren but its a point.
half time 57-47 we lead.
Not convincing,many forward thrusts fail due poor passing and options .Everitt is killing us,but we still lead.

3rd qtr starts with surprisingly everitt winning the ruck tap,but cloke rebounds it,out of bounds.
Cloke wins a couple of throw ins but each team cannot pass CHF,as it goes back and forth.
finally Bucks passes to tarks who goals.
But its very hesitant work into the fwd line by us.
Quick and clever hands from molly get us the next goal as didak passes to leon on the lead and he shoots truly.
more haphazard fwd thrusts follow,until everitt passes but burns cuts in and goals.Leon kicks a long left foot point.
then great work and vision from bucks gets a pass to cole on his own and he runs into an open point and hits the post.
he is really shitting me with his disposal.
so much talent will go wasted if he cant kick.
hawks get a few goals as we get chopped off at CHF often for the rest of the term and our only scores are a couple of points to Taz,one a poster and a OOF from another mark.
The wasteful pies lead 78-62.

final qtr is a bit of a stand still to begin with until everitt steals the ball off ant and they goal,then they get awarded 3 pts from a scrimmage,that rule too is silly as it has too many grey areas,and its up to the umpires discretion.( no rule should have that proviso)(they get everything wrong anyway).
leon is leading but getting under the kicks and hawks are clearing until Woey marks passes to Tarks then off to Taz who bags a goal.
Obree and woey both snap points.
what followed was at least 6 pushes in our backs that went un paid,then the scump plucked a free to williams out of his nose and he goaled.
The orange suits hasnt changed a thing,but we accept the goal.
By now its a procession as it becomes obvious we are the better team.
Ant is showing off now and wins the centre knock bucks roves it passes to leon on the lead and its another sausage roll.
molly has been strong all day and he gets it to Ant who marks at 49,goes back to 51 and scratches the dirt as if to say listen here scump im going for a 9er.
but he kicks it from 55 and is only paid a 6 er.
but its enough to make a hawk fan go home.
kinnear grabs a woey pass in the square and it goes thru the goals but unfortunately kinnear forgot to kick it,or maybe he just missed it.
just like last week MCG chipped in to kick the final goal
and at the siren
its the wasteful pies 1.15.0.13=112 to not very good hawks 1.9.1.6=72.
votes not easy to give once again as players are on and off all day.
3.2.1 toss em around between Burns,tarks,leon.
other good players molly,bucks,taz,presti,ant.

Josh form is a worry,the kids cole,lokan,shaw and swan all had a go but the disposal is not of AFL standard yet.
Clokes disposal is rough too still,but he makes up for it with strength at the footy.
I must say the scumps refuse point blank to give him anything.
next week its our nemesis the cats who were very impressive and hard at it last night.
its going to be one hell of a game,and maybe our second GF in a row coming up?
we will wait and see on that one.

creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ mate another Novel!

But very informative!

There is 2 types of Supporters-: Collingwood and the Rest!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:04 pm

Thought Shaw and Lokan played well myself, and their disposal was good. Agree about Cole & Swan though. What is it about us & Barlow? Only time he looks capable of playing is against us. I didnt see the Carlton game, but from what i saw tonight many teams are going to hate playing us. We are fast, skillful and brutal, especially in the packs. Don't let your boys play against the pies, only bring your men - you'll need em.

Hard at it. The Collingwood way.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:51 am

Shaw was very good, Bucks & Woey had a shocker. Williams gets better everytime I see him. Lokan reminds me of Dimatina, gets the ball and does not know what to do with it. Swan showed some mongrel, still a bit light on for AFL level though. Josh, throw him into the VFL he is getting worse each time I see him. Burns lifted us when it counted, Taz & Davis did great. Once Cloke was shifted on to Rowlings who is a dangerous player he forced him (Rowlings) out past the 50 meter arch and that killed Rowlings game. Backline was good, could see they missed Wakes.

My best 5

Burns
Lockyer
Williams
Cloke
Presti

[This message has been edited by Culprit (edited 03 March 2003).]
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:47 am

Great read Ed. Dids and Clokey where definitely robbed of 9 pointers - there are now, what, 9 umpies on the ground and not one of them saw those two boys kick OUTSIDE the 50 metre arc! What a joke. And good try to Ant - he looked so serious when he marked the 'mark' just outside 50! Gotta say the rule I hate the most is the 3 point rushed behind - the sooner that goes the better!

We were definitely slaughtered in the ruck. Even with Everitt getting the tap-outs we could have worked a bit harder in the middle at times to at least keep the ball in, if not clear it out ourselves.

Tarks never stopped running and Burnsy was fantastic accumulating 24 disposals and a goal (which is even more impressive when you count the time he spent on the woodwork). I don't expect him to star every week but boy he makes a difference when he's on the ground. Bucks didn't star but still did some good stuff and Molly's strength and hard work on the forward line is invaluable - you can see the opposition panic when he's running straight at them!!! Williams has really shone so far and it was great to see Tarrant leading confidently. Presti was the standout on the backline and I thought Shaw played a great game. His running out of the backline was impressive, just needs to improve his disposal at times. Other guys did well and all put in when needed such as Davis, O'Bree, Scotland, Lonie, Cloke, Rocca (particularly impressive on the backline & our shining light in the ruck!), Clemo, McKee, and Dids keeps showing the brilliance that's going to make him a star (if he isn't already!).

Woey was quiet and McGough hasn't seen much game time yet. Cole and Swan looked okay but still need to take that next step. Kinnear's decision making is too slow at times and Lokan struggles with this as well - and Josh is certainly struggling - although I have no doubt he'll rise to the challenge.

Not playing our best footy which is expected but I'm extremely impressed with our ability to step up a gear when needed. We have a classy team that I think other clubs are going to struggle to match up on. Great stuff ahead!

3-Burns, 2-Tarks, 1-Presti

GO PIES!
Marg

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:31 am

Fantastic win to the mighty pies!!!! Nice to see Chrissy kicking a bit better this week and Burnsy doing his usual gutsy stuff. Was impressed also by Ant in defence - he was marking everything in sight - still waiting for a long bomb though!

Oh, and the sound at the ground was AWESOME! The chants and songs were amazing and it was good to see everyone getting involved in them. They translated well to tv too - I watched a bit of the replay and the singing of our famous tune came across loud and clear!

Now onto Geelong - our 'bogey' side...

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:08 am

Great reporting Ed.

A grinding kind of win. Didn't seem to panic when they came back at us which was a good sign. We were absolutely killed in the ruck contests, our on-ballers are always expecting our ruck to get the ball first but have to learn to rove off the other guy at some times. Rhyce Shaw continues to impress! Gets another game for mine again. Cannot afford to miss those easy shots for goal, Cole & Tarks. Molly's strength showed. Williams looked good. If Taz and Dids can get 6-7 a week between them we will do alright.

Go Pies!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:56 am

Wakelin can slot back in defence and allow Rocca to go up forward.

The one who impresses me is Presti......take out the first 2 minutes of the game and he was great.

jlc

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:21 am

I thought Lokans run out of the backline was impressive....Shaw also carried the ball very well....skill errors this early in the year are nothing to write home about.....

Tarks seemed to have the ball on a string...its obvious Didak is fast becoming the crowd favourite.....

Molloy did some great things and it was Bucks one percenters that impressed me...

Burns again all class.....

One concern the ruck...Mckee and Fraser were slaughtered

One positive....we have found another gear...against both carlton and Hawthorn we lifted slightly and blew them both away!!! SHOW US YOUR SIX SPEED

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Pies_Chat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:38 am

HeraldSun 3/3/03;
-----------------

Didak sparks grand finale
By MARK STEVENS
03mar03

EVERYONE'S a winner, baby . . . Collingwood moved a step closer to its first night series win since 1979, but Hawthorn had every reason to be chuffed as well.

It was one of those free-flowing pre-season matches that had something for everyone: no injuries and enough positives on both sides to suggest these two could go at it again in September.
The Magpies won by 40 points last night, but this was no cakewalk. An undermanned Hawthorn trailed by just seven points early in the last term and looked a real chance to steal it.

But Collingwood - far closer to full strength with only Paul Licuria, Brodie Holland and Glenn Freeborn missing - kicked the last five goals of the game.

Again it was an ominous performance, eerily similar to the effort a week earlier against the Blues when the Magpies also found another gear when challenged early in the last quarter.

And, just like last week, it was Alan Didak who started it all. He was devastating in the first half, putting three six-pointers on the board before the break.

Chance Bateman, in superb pre-season form for the Hawks as a small defender, finally met his match. Michael Osborne was given a chance and did much better.

Scott Burns (24 possessions), Tarkyn Lockyer (22) and Nathan Buckley (21) were also at it again, dominating in midfield.

Lockyer was the most lethal of the threesome, booting 1.3 and pumping it inside 50 seven times.

Just to cap it off nicely, Chris Tarrant helped himself to four goals, so often finding space on the lead.

The Magies meet Geelong on Saturday for a berth in the final. Magpies coach Mick Malthouse never took this competition seriously in his time at West Coast, but his charges must be favoured to claim the title.

If the Pies get over the Cats, you'd expect the final to be played in Melbourne -- even if the Crows get through. The prospect of the power club in another final would surely prove irresistible for the AFL.

Hawthorn -- without Shane Crawford, Luke Hodge, Nick Holland, Nathan Thompson, Richard Vandenberg and John Barker -- had every excuse to be overrun much earlier.

But the Hawks showed plenty. The spirit that was missing so often last year appears to be back. Sure it's early days, but they do appear to have the hunger back.

The Hawks didn't deserve to lose by so much and will take heart from the performances of several kids and the efforts of three experienced campaigners: Jade Rawlings, Daniel Harford and Peter Everitt.

It seems like an eternity since Harford played so well.

He looks to be over his injuries and may not be finished just yet. He had 16 touches and looms as a bonus this year.

Rawlings took five marks, two contested, and again did enough to suggest he is ready to recapture his very best. Again, he spent a lot of time up forward.

Everitt only had nine touches, but threw in a massive nine-pointer on the run from 60m. More importantly, he showed just how clever he can be at centre bounces.

The former Saint had 25 hitouts and 10 went to a teammate's advantage. His strike rate of 40 per cent was well above the league average of 25 per cent. Big improver Sam Mitchell helped himself to six clearances.

Despite the roof remaining shut and both sides boasting long bombers, only two nine-pointers were scored, one to Everitt and one to Jarrod Molloy, which was a gimme considering he was awarded a 50m penalty from outside the arc, taking him to easy range.

The first term featured an umpiring blunder on a nine-point goal.

Jason Cloke clearly unloaded from beyond 50 and bounced one through, but it was registered as a standard six-pointer.

The Virtual Outer welcomes all MAGPIE fans from around the globe.

understudy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:42 am

Thanks Ed - good to see this in the discussion forum!

Shaw impressive, Lokan impressive.

Leon and Didak in great form again.

Fraser I'm not touching.

Kinnear struggling to gone.

Molloy improved kicking.

But bloody williams - we've got another friggin dud here - the bloke cant kick for shi.t - set shots stuffed up, snapping at goal hopeless and general field kicking average.

Very disappointed - just what u don't want blokes who are unreliable kicks - we've been sold a dud.

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:47 am

His kicking was poor for goal....but easy mate...I was very impressed with his game...I think he will be a great asset...very versitile

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:20 am

Good game,saw most of it on Ch10 and also Sky for their wrap up....pity the unps dont wear glasses as they could have seen that the 6 pointer was a 9 pointer.Oh well I guess wearing those 'T' shirts would blind them.Still cant see why there should be two umps in the goal area.

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002.
We missed 2002 but theres always 2003
drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:47 am

Last night reminded me of a very old and true saying..........

"The mark of a good team is when they can win without playing great football."

Lets be very honest last night wasnt mind blowing form ( nor should we expect to be at this time of teh season)...but as all good teams should do...our boys found a way to win and in the end won well (on the scoreboard).

The signs are there that the team is very much going to be in the mix again...So lets all just sit back and enjoy our time in the sun....God knows we have been waiting for some time.

Keep making us proud boys...

Go You Pie Boys !!

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:54 am

Understudy,

You have got to be kidding mate. Williams had a fantastic game. He missed one shot at goal but kicked a goal later on from a 45 degree angle. Don't forget about Tarrant's inability to kick straight all the time, he is our full foarward and he kicked one out on the full last night. On top of that, Lockyer (renowed for his goal kicking ability) missed from right in front and so did Cole. This was Williams second game last night and he showed enough to warrant more games in the side. He has been a very handy contributor so far.

On Fraser, while it is on pre season cup, he really has to get some mongrel into him. Josh, you have go to stand tall and stand your ground. Faser has got to stop going to the ground so often. Having said that, I have seen stats that show that Josh is a far more accomplished footballer than Everitt was at the same age (nearly 3 times better stats). Furthermore, he is only 21 and we know how long it can take for big guys to mature into great footballers. Oh yeah, and I can't see Fraser ever being our number one ruckman at the moment, he just doesn't have the strength, so play him in the forward line.

Didak was good again, well done Dids. Tarrant showed some forum, which is very pleasing, lets hope he can keep it up. Molloy is an asset when he plays, he scares the hell out of alot of opposition players. Woey was quiet for the first three quarters but had a great last quarter picking up about 10 possies, Bucks was good without being great, but Burns and Tarkyn were brilliant (when on the ground), great stuff guys.

I think the score board showed us to be very wasteful but in the end we had four posters, which all could have just as easily been goals.

On to next week against the Cats. I think its about time we beat Geelong.

Anyway, good match report, thanks for that Ed!

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: