Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Match Report - Round 2 Wizzy Cup v Hawks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
understudy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

no i am not kidding mate.

N Davis could kick a footy - Williams cannot!!!

I now see why he spent so long on the WCE bench!

Reality is True!

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:26 am

he got some pretty good stats last year for a benchwarmer...

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:49 am

And he certainly kicked 3 (or was it 4?) good straight goals against us last year.

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
paulie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:54 am

I reckon Williams is an excellent pick up he marked well last nite ans as for his kicking for goal.I'm pretty sure he kicked five goals against us when the Wet Toast pumped us on their patch of turf.By the way with Josh down on form how about Giving Lou a run in the ruck.It must be make or break time for Viv this year.

chalky 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:05 pm

Williams is definitely a good pick up, strong, can take a good grab, kicks off both and has a great aerobic capacity. I think he came to us as a utility player ie can play anywhere, not specifically as a goal kicking forward, so cut him some slack FGS!
Highlights for me were
- the way we never panic. Like a V8 vs a Hyundai, you just know you have the power, just accelerated when needed.
- Presti, the human wall, unbelievable!
- Tarks, was everywhere
- Burns, everytime we needed some grunt he stood up

Nearly everyone contributed in some way, flashing in and out with some exilerating passages of play - Molloy, Tarrant, Shaw?! Didak, Lonie

Frustrations were
- Fraser in the ruck, Fraser not in the ruck. It's a practice match leave him in there to practice!
- Woewodin - thought he would have found his feet by now.At times he actually looked slow and hesitant with the ball, didn't seem to be enjoying it at all. Is it my imagination?
- Cole's limited opportunities
- Kinnear, can't put 2 together

Geelong next, may be time to rest a few and try some others. We have proved a point to the competition - even half fit we still have their measure. I've had my fill of this stuff. It's served its purpose. Bring on the real deal! Cheers 

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:16 pm

Good to have some footy discussion being thrown around.

Okay Shaw has been good the last two weeks, quick and reasonable disposal but now seems to be thinking about where he’s going. , I’m betting that he will be fighting for a spot with Johnno, and I guess my concern is whether he has a defensive side to his game, however the balls in his court now, and given the opportunity we will see in the next few weeks whether he can go on with it
Williams I thought was good, sure his kicking let him down, but skill errors can be tolerated at this time of the year with our limited preseason, Sure I miss the skills of N.Davis but a passion and drive that gives us 4 quarters is of more value. Give him time
Josh, I think that Mick needs to tell him, you’ve got CHF full time, for the first half of the season, and forget the ruck experiments (ruck when its in his zone, that’s it) There is too much talent, in some-one who is a genuine good guy to not kick on, Unfortunately the weight if expectation is killing him – Back him to the hilt and let him learn one position
As far as Woey goes, give him a break, I think most here are big raps for Clement, yet it still took him half a dozen matches to start to find his feet in the 2001 season. This still the Preseason Comp.Richard Cole stills seems to be finding his feet. Certainly it was very telling when he ran into an open goal, admittingly under some pressure, and still hit the post However he may be like Didak (who we all now laud) and take 1.5 seasons to hit his straps. But at this point he still looks wanting . Give him time
Dids looks awesome, and is starting to believe in his talents, and I reckon he could be good for 40-60 goals this year. However I think he needs to spend a summer sometime giving himself a right foot. I’m sure as he continues to improves you will see two constraints; Firstly opposition coaches will instruct players to block his left foot and he struggles when pushed to the right, and secondly he will get a higher rated defender. This will test him, though I’m sure he will rise above it

Certainly last night was an enjoyable evening, just to sit back and watch the black and white and to feel the enthusiasm of the crowd. How could you be anywhere else?
Bring on the cats ! Bring on the season proper ! Bring on the doubters!
BRING ON THE MAGPIE ARMY

[This message has been edited by afisher (edited 03 March 2003).]
Scotty Russell 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:04 pm

9 points or 6 points? seems to me that the umps have discretion to this rule - against the filth Molloy marked in 50/kicked outside 50 and paid 9 - Rocca did the same yesterday and was only paid 6 -think they should have 1 rule -if you kick a goal outside 50 must be 9.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm

Oh my! I better watch the tape again.
So many people have accused Shaw and Williams of poor disposal that I took particular notice when I watched it last night. My verdict? 90% of these guys kicks hit the target! The majority of the kicks that missed were done under extreme pressure, even Bux would not have been able to pin-point these.
As for the 6/9 points thing, yes Molloy "got away with it" last week. This was yet another mistake by the orange rabbit, this time in our favour.

-Craig

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:12 am

Williams will be one of the pick ups of the season. His marking ability overhead for a player of his size is fantastic. He can play down back, in the middle or up forward.

Next people wlll be telling me Licuria has poor disposal and was a friggin dud...lol lol

jlc

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:25 am

Williams gets better everytime I see him. He has adjusted to teh team plan quicker than most and as he did his first few years under Malthouse. If he wasn't anygood Malthouse would not have picked him up. I will go with Malthouse on this one

d9 tank 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:26 am

Just cant understand the reasoning behind that post understudy, Williams was fanstastic, takes a great mark on the lead and always presents, considering we only gave up Adkins who couldnt crack it with us then I think MM and co have another great find here.

Burns like always was terrific and Bucks and Tarkyn were also impressive out of the midifield. Tarrant found his kicking boot and the small forwards (Dids and Leon) continue to impress. Also I'm very excited about Molloy for 2003, looks a totally differant player doesnt he, adds so much stregth.

MY VOTES:
5. Burns
4. Lockyer
3. Davis
2. Buckley
1. Tarrant

understudy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:13 pm

Remember my comments about Williams when we get to see him in the heat of a real battle - my hunch is this bloke is weak and unreliable from set shots and snaps - not what u want from a hff.

I was impressed by Shaw but he may also be exposed when things get tough.

You are all getting a bit carried away (especially in regard to Williams) - lets see how they go when things hot up.

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:40 am

You could be right about Shaw....but at this stage he has EARNT his spot....
Williams on the other hand I cannot agree....he destroyed us last year...TWICE in the heat of battle kicking some great goals...me thinks you might come back and edit your post..

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: