Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Player sanctions for Essendon and Cronulla players imminent

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 pm
Post subject: Player sanctions for Essendon and Cronulla players imminentReply with quote

Latest on the ASADA investigation:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/briefs-of-evidence-being-prepared-against-afl-and-nrl-players-as-asada-completes-investigations-into-the-two-football-codes/story-fnaqgujp-1226838587078

Looks like the investigations have concluded and briefs are being prepared for review. A decision on what action to take against players will then be made.

Interesting that this happens on the eve of the premiership season. The dopers season may be over before it starts if infraction notices are issued.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:55 pm
Post subject: Re: Player sanctions for Essendon and Cronulla players imminReply with quote

Stupied wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/briefs-of-evidence-being-prepared-against-afl-and-nrl-players-as-asada-completes-investigations-into-the-two-football-codes/story-fnaqgujp-1226838587078

Looks like the investigations have concluded and briefs are being prepared for review. A decision on what action to take against players will then be made.

Interesting that this happens on the eve of the premiership season. The dopers season may be over before it starts if infraction notices are issued.

Nah...

Players ultimately issued with a “show cause’’ letter would have 10 days to make a submission, unless they requested longer, she said.

The Anti-Doping Rules Violation Panel would consider all the material and make a decision about whether they believed there had been a violation, Ms Andruska said.

This'll drag on 'n on 'n on .... have to listen to the crap all season Rolling Eyes

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

Lets all encourage any leaked parts of the report to be published on Nicks first. I will be talking to my sources to see if I can break the story first here.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very vocal here on this subject there has been rumor and innuendo for ages aout this but preparing briefs and getting a retired supreme court judge to run his eye over them means ASADA is super serious on pressing ahead with severe sanctions.
I've stated before I have some sympathy for the players but facts are facts.

Jobe Watson admitted on national TV he took a banned and prohibited substance on multiple occasions. He stated he never asked what it was just took it. Under the ASADA code he is guilty as they place the onus on athletes to ensure they know what they are putting into there bodies no matter who gives it to them.
Secondly Hird used he perceived messiah status at Essendon to get all the players on board with his and Dank's systematic doping program.
It is in the same league of what cycling teams have been doing for years. They provide a illegal substance to there employees who take it to give themselves an unfair advantage over the rest of the competition.
Now ASADA must make a statement here and penalize the dope pushers with life time sanctions. This includes Hird and all the coaches and sports science department. The board of Essendon are guilty of not providing a safe work place for there employees and must all be removed from there positions and can never hold a position one any influence on a AFL club ever again.
The AFL CEO and commission are guilty of trying to cover this scandal up and all must be dismissed immediately and banned from having any involvement in AFL at any level ever again.
The players are guilty of gross stupidity and ignorance. I don't condone what they have done at all but I also don't want to see them all rubbed out for 2 years.
Jobe Watson admitted his guilt on national TV and should bare the highest penalty of 2 yrs suspension. The other players should be given penalties of around 6 weeks each on a rolling basis so that Essendon can still field a team this year. They must also be fined harshly to send a clear message to all other players. There salaries for the year concerned should be the amount of the individual fines. The monies raised by these fines can be donated to junior AFL clubs.
I know some will say nothing will happen or I am riding a high moral horse but if nothing is done like in cycling the AFL will become the code who freely allows systematic doping without penalty.
Sponsors & fans have been duped by Essendon and surely Essendon must pay the price for this.
Essendon allowed Hird to conduct this program without question so they must be penalized accordingly.
The $2,000,000 should be increased to $10,000,000 payable at $2,000,000 a year for 5yrs. They must be banned from the draft for the next 5yrs.
Yes again sounds harsh but Essendon need to suffer long and hard for this deceitful act.
I know people will say they won't be a competitive side for at least 10yrs and that's a huge penalty. But face the fact Essendon tried to cheat the rest of the competition by doping ther players giving them a unfair advantage over the rest of the competition. If they werent caught they would have continued to do so and who knows what the long term effect could have been.
If you use lance Armstrong as a case in point he dominated his sport to such a level it became who was going to finish second to him each year. The same thing could have happened if Essendon program hadn't been uncovered.
Hurry up ASADA and clear the code of these cheats and let the real footballers show th skills unassisted by illegal substances.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:32 am
Post subject: Re: Player sanctions for Essendon and Cronulla players imminReply with quote

Skids wrote:
Stupied wrote:

Nah...

Players ultimately issued with a “show cause’’ letter would have 10 days to make a submission, unless they requested longer, she said.

The Anti-Doping Rules Violation Panel would consider all the material and make a decision about whether they believed there had been a violation, Ms Andruska said.

This'll drag on 'n on 'n on .... have to listen to the crap all season Rolling Eyes

Of course it will with delaying tactics employed until the season is over. Then a few players might get 6 month bans from October to March Rolling Eyes
Brenny 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:42 am

I still dont understand how they can complete a proper investigation without getting Dank into a court room and asking him questions under oath.

It's always going to have that grey area, to me.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:14 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I've been very vocal here on this subject there has been rumor and innuendo for ages aout this but preparing briefs and getting a retired supreme court judge to run his eye over them means ASADA is super serious on pressing ahead with severe sanctions.
I've stated before I have some sympathy for the players but facts are facts.

Jobe Watson admitted on nattional TV he took a banned and prohibited substance on multiple occasions. He stated he never asked what it was just took it. Under the ASADA code he is guilty as they place the onus on athletes to ensure they know what they are putting into there bodies no matter who gives it to them.
Secondly Hird used he perceived messiah status at Essendon to get all the players on board with his and Dank's systematic doping program.
It is in the same league of what cycling teams have been doing for years. They provide a illegal substance to there employees who take it to give themselves an unfair advantage over the rest of the competition.
Now ASADA must make a statement here and penalize the dope pushers with life time sanctions. This includes Hird and all the coaches and sports science department. The board of Essendon are guilty of not providing a safe work place for there employees and must all be removed from there positions and can never hold a position one any influence on a AFL club ever again.
The AFL CEO and commission are guilty of trying to cover this scandal up and all must be dismissed immediately and banned from having any involvement in AFL at any level ever again.
The players are guilty of gross stupidity and ignorance. I don't condone what they have done at all but I also don't want to see them all rubbed out for 2 years.
Jobe Watson admitted his guilt on national TV and should bare the highest penalty of 2 yrs suspension. The other players should be given penalties of around 6 weeks each on a rolling basis so that Essendon can still field a team this year. They must also be fined harshly to send a clear message to all other players. There salaries for the year concerned should be the amount of the individual fines. The monies raised by these fines can be donated to junior AFL clubs.
I know some will say nothing will happen or I am riding a high moral horse but if nothing is done like in cycling the AFL will become the code who freely allows systematic doping without penalty.
Sponsors & fans have been duped by Essendon and surely Essendon must pay the price for this.
Essendon allowed Hird to conduct this program without question so they must be penalized accordingly.
The $2,000,000 should be increased to $10,000,000 payable at $2,000,000 a year for 5yrs. They must be banned from the draft for the next 5yrs.
Yes again sounds harsh but Essendon need to suffer long and hard for this deceitful act.
I know people will say they won't be a competitive side for at least 10yrs and that's a huge penalty. But face the fact Essendon tried to cheat the rest of the competition by doping ther players giving them a unfair advantage over the rest of the competition. If they werent caught they would have continued to do so and who knows what the long term effect could have been.
If you use lance Armstrong as a case in point he dominated his sport to such a level it became who was going to finish second to him each year. The same thing could have happened if Essendon program hadn't been uncovered.
Hurry up ASADA and clear the code of these cheats and let the real footballers show th skills unassisted by illegal substances.

Excellent post

Bit hard on jobe though since he was honest but then he didn't really admit to a banned substance I'd include him as with the others 6 weeks each maybe 5 at a time, keep them in the comp but only just, the only way it will deter others. For the live of the game though, get it done and dusted now, don't screw another season for us all

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:14 pm

I understand people looking forward to Essendon's day of judgement (particularly in the aftermath of the AFL's trivial sanctions), but I'm still holding out hope that the players will be spared the brunt of this. Hird, Dank, Corcoran et al should get life bans, and I hope they do, but the players are victims here. However many times ASADA trot out the "ignorance is no excuse" line in a dalek-like fashion, it would be fundamentally unfair for the players to be sidelined for a year or more because of the actions of their superiors. It may be naive, but I hope that the AFL choose to flout the ASADA recommendations and cut ties with them rather than accept unjust penalties, whatever the consequences. Rather a lot is at stake here.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

I didn't see too much sympathy on Nicks for Saad who consumed a commercially available health drink in ignorance and received a 2 year ban.

In his case for a first offence I felt that a 6 month ban would be punitive. 2 years ????

Now some are happy with a 6 week ban on the Essendon Dopers. Hardly seems fair.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:09 pm

^This, a thousand times over. Saad gets 2 years for an energy drink, and we now think that 6 weeks is fine for the dopers? They were getting regular injections! Call them victims as much as you like, but surely going off site for regular injections must have raised alarm bells.
Az 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
David wrote:
I understand people looking forward to Essendon's day of judgement (particularly in the aftermath of the AFL's trivial sanctions), but I'm still holding out hope that the players will be spared the brunt of this. Hird, Dank, Corcoran et al should get life bans, and I hope they do, but the players are victims here. However many times ASADA trot out the "ignorance is no excuse" line in a dalek-like fashion, it would be fundamentally unfair for the players to be sidelined for a year or more because of the actions of their superiors. It may be naive, but I hope that the AFL choose to flout the ASADA recommendations and cut ties with them rather than accept unjust penalties, whatever the consequences. Rather a lot is at stake here.

I didn't see too much sympathy on Nicks for Saad who consumed a commercially available health drink in ignorance and received a 2 year ban.

In his case for a first offence I felt that a 6 month ban would be punitive. 2 years ????

Now some are happy with a 6 week ban on the Essendon Dopers. Hardly seems fair.

Well said. Words can't express how much of a raw deal that guy got while players like Jobe continue to walk free with a tainted brownlow around his neck. I'm not saying Essendon players deserve a two year ban, but if Saad copped 2 years for obliviously consuming a doped energy drink then surely the players are headed for a similar sanction. Both situations are similar in the fact all parties should have taken responsibility in knowing what was going into their bodies.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:34 pm

+1 Essendon players are victims to an extent but are also adults responsible for what they ingest, knowing clearly the penalties are harsh for making poor decisions. They have a qualified club doctor at their disposal. Did they ask the question or raise the alarm?
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Lazza wrote:

Of course it will with delaying tactics employed until the season is over. Then a few players might get 6 month bans from October to March Rolling Eyes

ASADA rules require suspentions to be in season
Also 12 -24 months Saad got two years as did that VLF player

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 pm

David wrote:

David, the issue is that the approach to allegations of use of unauthorised substances must be directed to maintaining the integrity of the competition. Drug offences in sport (as in the criminal law) are typically strict or absolute liability offences. The reason for that is that if the "I didn't know about it" defence is permitted, no player would ever be found guilty.

Put to one side the possible alleged complication that everyone thought what was being done was legal, based upon ASADA's alleged advice. Otherwise, the players' defence, such as it is, likely depends upon admitting that they knew they were on a significant supplements program but they left it entirely to others to determine whether what they were being administered was legal or illegal. If that were a permissible defence, there would always be a (non-player) scapegoat and it would be most unlikely that a player would ever go down for taking performing enhancing drugs.

Some things are bigger than the individual's right to kick a footy for money - keeping performance enhancing drugs out of the sport is one of them.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:27 pm

De-register Essendon & Cronulla

Ban their coaching staff for life

Put Dank up against a wall and execute him by firing squad

problem solved
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: