Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hawk's Garlett at the crossroads

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:08 am
Post subject: Hawk's Garlett at the crossroadsReply with quote

Looks like Garlett is struggling with the demands of AFL footy.

His behavioural issues were well documented which explains the reluctance of AFL clubs to invest high draft pick for him.

Guess that is why he was overlooked 2 years ago and only picked up at 38 by the hawks.

Lets hope the hawks can help him to have an impact as an AFL player.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-01/garlett-at-the-crossroads
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much vindicates our recruitment staffs decision to overlook him. He was always going to be a high risk/high reward prospect.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:18 am

i hope it comes good for him. someone of his supposed natural talent should not go to waste.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 am

Who?
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 am

Now there's a headline I thought I'd never see
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 am

Lets hope he gets his head together. Doubt he will get another chance at this level if he doesn't grasp it now.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:26 am

He is one eccie away from disaster, this kid. The Hawks would be happy Buddy and Wellers are no n Melbourne or the three amigos would run rampant.
holdencaulfield 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:55 pm

What is the big deal? He either wants to play or he does not. He is just being selfish and taking someone elses place if he does not want to be fair dinkum.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:36 pm

I hope he makes it, and think he still can. Just depends on whether or not he can get his shit together. I guess professional-level football isn't for everyone.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:45 pm

It makes me think it would be great to get an AFL team based in the northern Territory. There would be a number of great Indigenous players from remote communities who might find the transition to professional football easier if they didn't have to permanently leave their families and communities. To be able to play either in Alice Springs or Darwin each fortnight would open up opportunities for a lot of young men. They would benefit, so too would their communities, and we would benefit by seeing some amazing talent impact the game.

Financially I can't see it happening unless perhaps one of the multi-national mining companies decided they'd sponsor such a team. Anyway, hopefully one day it might happen.
holdencaulfield 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It makes me think it would be great to get an AFL team based in the northern Territory. There would be a number of great Indigenous players from remote communities who might find the transition to professional football easier if they didn't have to permanently leave their families and communities. To be able to play either in Alice Springs or Darwin each fortnight would open up opportunities for a lot of young men. They would benefit, so too would their communities, and we would benefit by seeing some amazing talent impact the game.

Financially I can't see it happening unless perhaps one of the multi-national mining companies decided they'd sponsor such a team. Anyway, hopefully one day it might happen.

They would still have to travel regularly however it is a good idea. Worth thinking about long term.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Yeah they'd have to travel for games but the culture shock would be a hell of a lot less than moving to Melbourne to live. They'd get a lot more chance to get used to it without ever having to relocate. Love to see it happen.

You couldn't start it out as an all indigenous team, have to start it similar to a GWS or GC but over time if they had a recruiting zone, talent would come literally strolling out of the desert to play for them.

Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 pm

so hes struggling with growing up and not being allowed to go out and get hammered all the time is what this means. Very Happy Did his mrs not go over with him? Thought she was the one that helped him 'clean' up his act
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:40 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Ummm ... He's from WA Laughing

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 pm

This is the sort of thing Matt Rendell was alluding to until dropped in it by that idiot Mifsud. It is unlikely that the Angwins and Aaron James type players will be drafted in the future. This lad could go the same way as them and go back to WA, star in a local league, and forever wonder what might have been. With so many kids busting their bums to get drafted and doing all the right things with regards to diet, weights, life skills etc why waste time and money on non triers. Granted Garlett has was more talent than say pick 40 but that pick 40 could just one day be a Nick Maxwell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: