Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Caro wins top AFL media award

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. It is not balanced journalism or comment. I also detest her blatant double standards in NEVER sticking it to her Richmond club, players & president at every opportunity. She is an utter bloody hypocrite.... Evil or Very Mad
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Caroline Wilson went early on the proposition that James Hird should be sacked. As it happened, she got that one right. He was sacked. She followed that line tenaciously when others didn't. I suppose she deserved credit for that and possibly deserved The Graham Perkin Award.

More perplexing to me is how she won the Quill Award for best columnist.
I don't think she writes well. Martin Flanagan, Patrick Smith, Rohan Connolly and my Aunt Sarah all write better than she does. Well, the awards were made by her peers so it's hard to argue with.

I strongly disagree with Neil Appleby that criticism is directed against Caroline Wilson because she's a woman. Most of the the criticism derives from the fact that she's always muckraking (call that investigative journalism if you like Neil) and never writes football stories. In my opinion she's a tabloid journalist always looking for a scandal.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:10 pm

She has cast some horrible allegations at our Club especially to one of my all time favourites in Scott Burns who is as staunch as they come. The Degree of Third does not forget or forgive the punt road gutter gatherer for this.

www.facebook/the hybernators
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:19 pm
Post subject: Re: Caroline Wilson Wins Australia's Top Journo AwardReply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
She's loathed and loved in equal measure in the broader community, but here at Nick's she's just loathed. On the weekend Caro won Australia's top journalists' prize, The Graham Perkin Award, for her work on the Essendon saga.
She also won the Quill Award for best columnist. Well deserved.
Caro cops heaps of disgusting abuse mostly because she is a woman and also because well, she's a journalist doing her job. I don't always like what she writes and she sometimes really annoys, but gee I admire her courage and tenacity.

Some of my Essendon friends were enraged all over again yesterday.

+1. nail hit head.

However her footy tipping might leave a lot to be desired:

She picked Collingwood to finish in the top 4 & win the premiership this year.

She has made mistakes but who hasn't .

Her award this year was akin to the 1989 Peter Greenaway film: The Cook, the Thief, his Wife & her Lover:

The Cook (Dank) the Thief (Hird - by stealing away the reputation of footy), his wife (Tanya Hird) & her Lovers (Metaphorically speaking) Hanke & Burnside.

With respect to the Essendon saga I thought Patrick Smith was equally as good if not better.

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: