Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Essendon emerges as serious contender for Good Fri footy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:55 am
Post subject: Essendon emerges as serious contender for Good Fri footyReply with quote

Personally, I think it should be a Grand final rematch. Not sure why it has to be clubs from suburbs surrounding the Royal Children's Hospital, that is just the AFL's way of easing their conscious.

Besides, Essendon already have the Anzac day and Dreamtime games.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-emerges-as-serious-contender-to-play-on-good-friday/story-fni5f6kv-1226886971312

Quote:
Essendon emerges as serious contender to play on Good Friday

ESSENDON has emerged as a serious contender to play in a historic Good Friday game as the AFL attempts to start the 2015 season with a bang.

The AFL seems determined to push back the season until the first week of April as a twilight Good Friday game looks increasingly likely.

Essendon ticks several boxes as a loyal Etihad Stadium tenant which pulls big crowds and is based in the inner northern suburbs near the Royal Children’s Hospital.

The return of the prodigal son James Hird will also have massive drawing power if the Bombers dodge infraction notices and he is the 2015 Essendon coach.

Carlton-Richmond is a strong chance to go ahead as the season-opener on Thursday April 2, despite the Blues wanting to play a Good Friday game the following day against North Melbourne.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank god they're finally doing this. Not because I have any particular need to have a football game on good friday, but because it was so ridiculous not having one.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:07 pm

At least SOMETHING will finally happen on Good Friday (the most BORING day of the year)
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Why do the AFL love the Druggies?.

But Glad they are Finally sticking it up the Religious People and Having Good Friday Footy

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:32 pm

If the Peptide Bombers do get it it would be a travesty. There are several clubs including Norf who have put a lot of time into pushing for this, if it's then just handed to someone else that sucks.

Other than who plays on the day, all I have to say about Good Friday Football is about $£$%^%%$ time.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 pm

So let me get this straight.

The AFL fine the bummers a million dollars and strip them of draft picks just last year now they want to award them this fixture next year.

Wow what a message that sends.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:13 pm
Post subject: Re: Essendon emerges as serious contender for Good Fri footyReply with quote

The Seedsmeister wrote:
Personally, I think it should be a Grand final rematch. Not sure why it has to be clubs from suburbs surrounding the Royal Children's Hospital, that is just the AFL's way of easing their conscious.

Besides, Essendon already have the Anzac day and Dreamtime games.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-emerges-as-serious-contender-to-play-on-good-friday/story-fni5f6kv-1226886971312

Quote:
Essendon emerges as serious contender to play on Good Friday

ESSENDON has emerged as a serious contender to play in a historic Good Friday game as the AFL attempts to start the 2015 season with a bang.

The AFL seems determined to push back the season until the first week of
April as a twilight Good Friday game looks increasingly likely.

Essendon ticks several boxes as a loyal Etihad Stadium tenant which pulls big crowds and is based in the inner northern suburbs near the Royal Children’s Hospital.

The return of the prodigal son James Hird will also have massive drawing power if the Bombers dodge infraction notices and he is the 2015 Essendon coach.

Carlton-Richmond is a strong chance to go ahead as the season-opener on Thursday April 2, despite the Blues wanting to play a Good Friday game the following day against North Melbourne.

Essendon gets a guernsey as it "a loyal Etihad Stadium" tenant . What about the Bulldogs, Saints or Roos? That statement is rubbish. It does not uniquely qualify Essendon.
Essendon "is based in the inner northern suburbs near the Children's Hospital" that statement is rubbish. Essendon is not an inner suburb, is a long way from the RCH and now they've even moved to Tullamarine.
If you do want a Good Friday / RCH game then only two teams properly qualify - North Melbourne and Carlton. Both have home bases within a kilometre of the RCH. Neither have left their traditional inner northern home bases. So why the hell is Essendon being pushed?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am

Last year's issues aside, I don't think it should be Essendon or us. Give it to teams that don't yet have a blockbuster game.

I do understand a reluctance to give it to struggling clubs like St Kilda or the Bulldogs. You don't want poor crowds on a big day, this isn't the NRL. But it shouldn't all be about the dollar, let's make this the Charity Cup and give it to the Dogs and Roos.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Agreed, Inkling. Dogs and Roos would be a good choice.

What's the deal with proximity to the Royal Children's Hospital? I mean, I know there's a Good Friday appeal, but who cares which club is closest to a hospital? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people in Perth and Brisbane interested in donating to cancer patients.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:38 am

I think you need one big draw club + one struggling club. Carlton/Richmond vs Roos/Dogs would work. Rotate those teams around. Maybe throw Melbourne in (are they still a draw?) and St Kilda.

Essenscum can **** off (Yes I'd rather Carlton than that mob get this game)
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am

Jon Ralph says "Essendon ticks several boxes as a loyal Etihad Stadium tenant which pulls big crowds and is based in the inner northern suburbs near the Royal Children’s Hospital" and everyone chucks a tanty. Since when is Jon Ralph the AFL spokesperson??

Personally, I don't care who plays, just play the damn thing!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm not fussed about whether football is played on Good Friday or not but let's hope Essendon doesn't get to play on that day though considering what has happened and unfolded in the past 12 months. They don't deserve it and they already have ANZAC Day with us anyway.

I hear North Melbourne has been pushing for Good Friday football for nearly 20 years apparently so I wouldn't mind them getting it along with the Bulldogs as well.

I think Wokko is right in the extent that I think the game has to involve one big club (in terms of popularity) vs. a struggling club.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Personally, I'm hoping the Roos and WB take the game and it stays with them forever. Like us and ANZAC day.

My worry is, if they start sharing it around, then it could be a precursor to share ANZAC day.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Hird is just like Jesus. A human with a god complex who looks likely to rise again. It's fitting.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 am

Dons are not good... just not right for Good Friday!

I would suggest the Saints and the Demons due to the obvious religious connections Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: