Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Great article on Adam Goodes by Jake Niall

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:27 pm
Post subject: Great article on Adam Goodes by Jake NiallReply with quote

Why some fans are challenged by Adam Goodes.

(must have been reading Nicks)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/why-some-fans-are-challenged-by-goodes-20140521-zrkd7.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly good article, nice pick up.

Goodes has really evolved from a bargainer to a challenger only in recent years, which in itself may add something to the pot.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Yep, we've had it easy in this country for a long while. Someone comes along with a mild challenge to some entrenched, and rather ugly views, and they can't handle it.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Good article, but from the moment he was named AOTY I disagreed with the decision for a number of reasons.

I mean, what has he really done? Let's compare him to the other candidates.

* QLD's nomination was the man behind the story of "Mao's last dancer", one of the most inspirational human stories of recent times. "Li Cunxin's journey to Australia - from his home in China to the US and then Europe - was ultimately driven by love. He celebrates his birthday on Australia Day and sees that as a great sign for his life here."

* ACT's nomination, German-born Zsuzsoka Kecskes has become one of the nation's most celebrated neonatal doctors for her work at the new Centenary Women and Children's Hospital in Canberra. Cmon now.

Some of the other nominees had created educational programs for over 30 years, 30 YEARS.

This isn't a shot at Adam Goodes, he's represents the indigenous community very well but cmon now, he's not in the class as some of these people.

It was a wrong decision, simple, and I'm not basing that opinion on race or anything he's done or said since receiving the award.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Personally I am not a Goodes fan for a number or reasons. His behaviour a few years back where is was challenging umpires to report him by thumping others players gave me an insight into some aspects of his personality that doesn't bode well. It was obvious that he saw himself in a privileged / favoured position and exploited it. Eventually Roos even spoke out against him.

I for one would like to see us all treated and perceived to be at the same level.

I find his approach alienating and that in itself does not lend itself to understanding or equality.

Last edited by Member 7167 on Fri May 23, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't mind Adam standing up to what he believed was racism, good on him.

Problem is, I thought he was a knob of a bloke well before that.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 pm

He's a piece of shit, can't believe he doesn't cop more abuse (non racial) for what he did to that child and her family.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Grandstander! Pity he can't really play anymore so he's gearing up for a career in politics.

The concept of race is is a social Darwinian idea. It has no merit genetically. We are all human beings and the sooner we focus on what unites us the happier our society will be. But of course only white people can be racist. Rolling Eyes

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Has it really?
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:49 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Good article, but from the moment he was named AOTY I disagreed with the decision for a number of reasons.

I mean, what has he really done? Let's compare him to the other candidates.

* QLD's nomination was the man behind the story of "Mao's last dancer", one of the most inspirational human stories of recent times. "Li Cunxin's journey to Australia - from his home in China to the US and then Europe - was ultimately driven by love. He celebrates his birthday on Australia Day and sees that as a great sign for his life here."

* ACT's nomination, German-born Zsuzsoka Kecskes has become one of the nation's most celebrated neonatal doctors for her work at the new Centenary Women and Children's Hospital in Canberra. Cmon now.

Some of the other nominees had created educational programs for over 30 years, 30 YEARS.

This isn't a shot at Adam Goodes, he's represents the indigenous community very well but cmon now, he's not in the class as some of these people.

It was a wrong decision, simple, and I'm not basing that opinion on race or anything he's done or said since receiving the award.

Well, at least he's not Alan Bond... Wink
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Goodes cares little for Aboriginal rights.

His carry on about it is just part of his backers' campaign to raise his public profile in order for him to become the first aboriginal Governor-General of Australia.

Becoming Australian of the Year by vilifying a Collingwood supporter was the first stepping stone.

Start getting used to "Sir Adam Goodes".
Brenny 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:58 pm

The article is pretty fair and perfectly valid.

Doesn't change the fact I still dislike the bloke.

Harry fits the challenger mould too. He polarizes people with his thinking.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 pm

I haven't read the charter for what constitutes an AOTY but in my view it should be someone who makes a difference in their 12 months in the role and leaves the country in a better place than when they found it.

Has Goodes done that? I don't think it's something that can be judged yet. But I'd say yes, he's on track.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Can anyone think of "challengers" who have been liked in their era and by those being challenged? It's a tough thing. Goodes with even his mild challenges to our national identity is copping plenty of bile. I don't think it was exactly smooth sailing for Ali during his time either.

At a distance and in hindsight these challengers can be seen as great people, but closer to home and period, the reaction is always more mixed.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:48 am

Good article, WPT. I think the reaction in this thread is clear proof of what's being argued. To some extent, then, the negative attitude towards Goodes (in my view) is less a racial thingalthough that's quite possibly a factor hereand more about the default dislike people feel for those who challenge the status quo. Anyone who wouldn't fit within the conservative mediocrity of, say, the Sunrise program immediately becomes an outsider, no matter how valid or important their challenge may be.

As for your complaint, Matty, I would agree in theory, but the fact is that the award has rarely been awarded on genuine merit. In fact, sportspeople, actors and musicians often win the awardis there ever a time when they're more deserving than scientists, doctors or social workers? I heard little complaint here when Geoffrey Rush, Steve Waugh or Pat Rafter were given it. In that context, Goodes was an obvious choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: