Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Majak Daw charged with rape

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:30 pm
Post subject: Majak Daw charged with rapeReply with quote

Sorry to be the bearer of shitty news, but Majak Daw has been charged with rape based on allegations dating back to when he was 17.

http://abc.net.au/news/2014-07-01/majak-daw-charged-with-rape/5562236

Innocent until proven guilty, of course. Let's hope that, either way, justice is served, and that his football career can continue into the future.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap news. Best served to wait to see how this one plays out.

North's season which started full of promise is fast going down the tube though.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:12 pm

So unlike the media crusade against our player/s when there were similar allegations that didn't lead to any charges, this gets unemotive factual articles even though he's been charged. I'm not on social media, but is that as eerily silent? I would hope the online feminists are going as nuts over this as they were during the St Kilda school girl/Tiprat and Montagna/Collingwood alleyway shenanigans episodes.

Those charges are very, very serious and yet this is buried under Rolf Harris' groping?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Was reported a few weeks ago that Dawe had been interviewed by Police in relation to this, he was interviewed about a month ago. I read it online in the Herald Sun then and I've been waiting to see what happened next.

Interesting timing. If what i read was correct the incident was reported to Police at the time, so I assume something has happened recently to trigger this.

The other interesting thing is that the alleged incident occurred when he was 17, not a well known footballer.

At the moment he's allowed to keep playing, as he should be. Let it play out and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Lucky he doesn't play NRL then!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Wokko wrote:
So unlike the media crusade against our player/s when there were similar allegations that didn't lead to any charges, this gets unemotive factual articles even though he's been charged. I'm not on social media, but is that as eerily silent? I would hope the online feminists are going as nuts over this as they were during the St Kilda school girl/Tiprat and Montagna/Collingwood alleyway shenanigans episodes.

Those charges are very, very serious and yet this is buried under Rolf Harris' groping?

People may be treating this a little bit more sensitively due to his background, but if so that's a good thing.

Obviously Rolf Harris is much more famous (internationally). Anyone heard of Majak Daw outside of Melbourne?

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Wokko wrote:

Correct. This has nothing to do with his race either, even though the PC merchants will try to spin it as such.

I can't believe he is available for selection according to the AFL and North, especially when Dimmy lent on us big time to suspend Marley until his trial was finished.

Of course he is innocent until proven, but these charges are far too serious for him to be allowed to play until the court case is over. Of course if he is found guilty he will never play again.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 pm

David wrote:

People may be treating this a little bit more sensitively due to his background, but if so that's a good thing.

I thought justice was blind David. Race, colour, creed, background should mean nothing. A crime is a crime is a crime. People have to stop blaming society for their personal sins.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Obviously Rolf Harris is much more famous (internationally). Anyone heard of Majak Daw outside of Melbourne?

His background should have nothing to do with it, and I don't think the way he's been treated is wrong, just the (probable) reason for it. I think these allegations, even when the man isn't well known are too readily turned into a witch hunt, but in this case... no witch hunt. Tiprat isn't known outside Melbourne either and that's been front page every time a detective decided to look into it for the last 8 years or so.

In all these footballer sexual assault cases the media assumes guilt and goes to town, and suddenly they're all about fairness and balance and presumption of innocence? Give me a break.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 pm

He will have to be put on Suspension.

He can’t play while he is going to court over this

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:05 pm

1061 wrote:
Lucky he doesn't play NRL then!

or Plays for Collingwood

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 am

collie dog wrote:
David wrote:

I thought justice was blind David. Race, colour, creed, background should mean nothing. A crime is a crime is a crime. People have to stop blaming society for their personal sins.

Justice is—or at least ought to be—blind. What people seem to forget is that what the AFL or North Melbourne FC do in this instance has nothing to do with justice. Nothing about how the media chooses to report this is about justice. The only institution capable of exercising justice in this case is the legal system. All the rest is just impotent hand-wringing.

If it seems like there's a double standard in the way this case is being reported on, there might well be. It's not about Daw's skin colour so much as the fact he is from a disadvantaged background. What that means is that some people's judgemental, holier than thou tendencies suddenly clash with their basic understanding that they're not in much of a position to bag out people from less privileged backgrounds than they have. I think it's great that there are at least some cases where this reasoning is applied; I just wish that it would be extended to all young men who find themselves in these situation.

Seriously, if moralists wanting to see Daw and other players immediately sinbinned cared to read the book that most of them claim their sense of right and wrong derive from, they might want to mull a bit on the passage about casting the first stone.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:57 pm

what is this 'disadvantaged' nonsense. Daw migrated to Australia around 10yrs of age, attended a private school in Werribee. He is basically an Aussie. From what I have been told, he is an ordinary bloke too (banging his mates' missus etc) can't keep is d**k in his pants.

poor Majak Rolling Eyes
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:33 pm

did the mate's missus consent? two to tango and all that.

when this was initially reported it sounded like there was nothing in it and nothing further would eventuate. i was surprised to read of the subsequent charges.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
what is this 'disadvantaged' nonsense. Daw migrated to Australia around 10yrs of age, attended a private school in Werribee. He is basically an Aussie. From what I have been told, he is an ordinary bloke too (banging his mates' missus etc) can't keep is d**k in his pants.

poor Majak Rolling Eyes

Hmm, yes, can't possibly imagine how a Sudanese immigrant might have had a more difficult background than you or me. And clearly nothing that happens to you before the age of 10 could have a negative effect on your development. He went to a private school, after all! I bet he had a TV too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: