Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
evil madness??

how on earth can a child that age coolly walk anywhere with explosives strapped to them? youd think they would be going nuts. Special place in hell for those bastards

^ Ironically, belief in hell is part of that precise distortion!

If everyone believed/realised that this life was their only existence, would things like this happen? I doubt it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:44 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
evil madness??

how on earth can a child that age coolly walk anywhere with explosives strapped to them? youd think they would be going nuts. Special place in hell for those bastards

If everyone believed/realised that this life was their only existence, would things like this happen? I doubt it.

Really ? You think atheists incapable of acts of extreme violence and hatred, up to and including the involvement of children ? Shocked

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
evil madness??

Really ? You think atheists incapable of acts of extreme violence and hatred, up to and including the involvement of children ? Shocked

Anyone is capable in the right circumstances.

There are atheists for whom their atheism is a belief system as strong as any religion, so they could conceivably undertake similar acts.

In general though, I agree with david's point. The parents clearly believed that they, and their children, would be rewarded in heaven (although what a child is going to do with 72 virgins I have no idea. Playmates?) hence they could sacrifice their children with a clear conscience. Without some belief that the children would be somehow better off, I can't see how any sane (well.........) parent could do that.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
evil madness??

Anyone is capable in the right circumstances.

There are atheists for whom their atheism is a belief system as strong as any religion, so they could conceivably undertake similar acts.

In general though, I agree with david's point. The parents clearly believed that they, and their children, would be rewarded in heaven (although what a child is going to do with 72 virgins I have no idea. Playmates?) hence they could sacrifice their children with a clear conscience. Without some belief that the children would be somehow better off, I can't see how any sane (well.........) parent could do that.

An atheist would not Commit such an act for the sake of atheism, I imagine, but my point is that agents of atheist political systems have committed mass murder on a massive scale. Individuals in thrall to atheistic ideologies have shown themselves to be capable of inflicting monstrosities on children. David said that such things would not happen without a belief in Hell. That seems an odd view, on the evidence.

Parents kill their children for various reasons, as we have seen. The rise of irreligion seems to have made it more likely, not less, that such acts will occur. When you believe that life is only about earthly pleasure, and you believe your children will be denied life’s pleasures, one can see how it becomes a perverted act of mercy.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 pm

I was also thinking about the alleged Murder/ Suicide in WA a few days back.

From extrapolating from the father of the dead children's comments, it's not unreasonable to form the opinion that the grandfather felt he had hit the end of his run, had some form of depression, decided he wanted out but could't put his daughter and his kids through that. So his solution was to "spare them" the pain he'd been though by ending their lives before taking his own.

There's a logic there I can I can follow even if it has serious flaws.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

^ yeah, agreed. Life is a trial as much as a pleasure. It’s wrong headed judgement, but if you are convinced the trial ends in misery, I can see how it becomes an act of love to terminate the trial. Good logic can follow putrefying values.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Mugwump wrote:
An atheist would not Commit such an act for the sake of atheism, I imagine, but my point is that agents of atheist political systems have committed mass murder on a massive scale. Individuals in thrall to atheistic ideologies have shown themselves to be capable of inflicting monstrosities on children. David said that such things would not happen without a belief in Hell. That seems an odd view, on the evidence.

Parents kill their children for various reasons, as we have seen. The rise of irreligion seems to have made it more likely, not less, that such acts will occur. When you believe that life is only about earthly pleasure, and you believe your children will be denied life’s pleasures, one can see how it becomes a perverted act of mercy.

Where I might diverge from many leftists is that I do think there are fundamental differences between an act of “state terrorism” and the garden variety kind. While it’s true that the consequences of an American bomb dropped on a wedding and a suicide bombing in a crowded marketplace are effectively interchangeable, what differentiates these two acts is motivation. That does not make one act less monstrous than the other, necessarily, but it does help us understand why these different acts of violence occur, which is important.

Two facts are important to accept here: one is that it is not a psychologically normal human state to have no concern for the physical wellbeing of the people around us. The second is that it is a psychologically normal state to not care, on anything more than an abstract or conceptual level, about the physical wellbeing of those who are geographically distant from us. To put it more bluntly, the average human is not a psychopath, but is effectively a psychopath when it comes to the lives of those whose lives are abstract to us. So yes, of course an atheist can drop a bomb on a city or allow Ukrainian peasants to starve. Practically anyone could, so long as they didn’t conceptually convince themselves that it was wrong to do so.

Likewise, I’m not saying that someone of any religious or non-religious disposition couldn’t kill their own child in a moment of fury, or despair, or madness. But I think we understand that an act like the one described here, strapping bombs to your children and detonating them in a crowded place, is on another level altogether. In some ways, calling it “peak evil” makes sense, in the sense that it is one of the most extreme acts we can imagine anyone doing (not in terms of effect, like the general ordering the atomic bomb to be dropped, but the immediate violence of it and careful planning that it requires). But of course evil isn’t real, so we instead need to understand it in terms of plausible motivations, such as an undervaluing of life at the expense of a belief in heavenly reward.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 pm

^ I don’t doubt that heavenly reward can be one motivation, and it probably justified their action to these particular monsters. I am not sure it is fundamentally different to murdering your children to spare them your existential, atheist distress. Both involve killing your children because your warped beliefs lead you to believe that they will be better off dead.

It’s also arguable that murdering other people’s children is at least as, if not more, “peak evil” than killing your own.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Terror threat in Australia has risen following suicide bombings in Indonesia:

MALCOLM Turnbull has warned the risk of a terror attack in Australia has risen, amid new airport security measures and a DFAT warning to Aussie travellers.

DFAT ISSUES WARNING TO AUSSIE TRAVELLERS

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a new warning to Australians currently in or considering travelling to Indonesia.

While the official “high caution” status for travellers in the country has not changed, DFAT issued a fresh notice following the terror attacks.

#Indonesia: We have updated our travel advice for Indonesia following a further terrorist attack in Surabaya. There is a heightened risk of further attacks. https://t.co/mRBRnmah0y

— Smartraveller (@Smartraveller) May 14, 2018

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/warnings/terror-threat-in-australia-has-risen-following-suicide-bombings-in-indonesia-pm/news-story/c6d0a7a13d6216f75ebf770d96c102c1

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 pm

My wife and one of my kids are scheduled to visit Java in a months time
(might even be Surabaya). The DFAT warning doesn't fill me with confidence about the trip.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Aloha snackbar.

Belgium shooting: Attacker stabs two police officers and steals their guns before shooting them in 'terror-related' incident.

Just another one of many, hardly makes the news these days.

Happy Ramadan.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/belgium-shooting-latest-updates-liege-police-officers-dead-terror-incident-attack-a8374076.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Happy Ramadan to you too, mr Severin has recommended new laws be drawn detain 11 convicted terrorists their prison terms. Oh a web page.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Belgium police attacker 'killed someone day before

https://au.news.yahoo.com/belgium-police-attacker-killed-someone-day-104655647.html

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:42 pm

^ sounds like a career criminal who took the oath to take out two cops. Not really clear he’s a bona fide Muslim.

The real scandal is that he was on “temporary family leave” from a Belgian prison. Welcome to the mortuary of rehabilitation.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Criticism of Islam will not be tolerated.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/morning-shows/sonia-kruger-has-failed-to-have-racial-vilification-complaint-against-her-dismissed/news-story/eeeddf0544c7edfefeec01071f35c800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 96 of 105   

Jump to: