Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Crimes that deserve the death penalty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
It's like being at university all over again!

https://youtu.be/9FAV3zr1PMk

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 am

I am not sure if I would do it that often.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Returning to PTID’s quality post above, the problems I have with his well-made argument are as follows :

Firstly, I do not accept the conventional wisdom re “rights”. “Rights” are a form of universalism that grew, via Voltaire and Paine, from a specific critique of French and British society around 1790, into a utopian project that now occupies a global position regardless of the conditions of a particular society. They are now used to badger developed societies into indulging undesirable behaviour, while doing nothing about large scale abuse in most of the world (eg China, inter alia).

What matters are liberties, evolved out of the particular historic experience of nations and underwritten by the sovereign power of a free people and their capacity to defend their self-government. Clearly it is desirable that liberties be founded on natural law to some extent, but the will of a free people can be expected to lead to some cultural variant of this. Not to put too fine a point on it, if certain Muslim societies wish to proscribe (say) blasphemy, then I consider that they should be free to do that, whatever “Human rights” says. I believe that the adoption of human rights as a guiding principle in international law, rather than Wilsonian self-determination, is anti-democratic, and the backlash against it will lead to wars and conflict, in time. We already see this mounting in Europe.

Liberties are contingent upon citizenship, and of course circumscribed by the laws of the nation. Break those laws, and you are choosing to place yourself under the sanctions advertised by llaw. In committing an act of aggravated murder under a statute which provides for capital punishment, the criminal effectively elects to hang himself.

So it is seductive, but the first reason I cannot accept your “minimal violation of the minimum right necessary to achieve some end deemed necessary” is that I do not believe in the underlying concept.

Even if I did so, I would arrive at a different place to you. The question is really the “end deemed necessary”. In my view, the point of capital punishment is only incidentally to remove the most grotesque offenders from society forever. As you rightly say, this can (in theory at least) be achieved with a lesser sanction. The main purpose is the one I stated earlier in the thread : it is to represent society’s ultimate revulsion at the act committed, and thereby to set an absolute standard for conduct, and to symbolize the power of the law over society’s most vicious members. When we abandoned that standard, we opened Pandora’s box, and ushered in a mini-holocaust of murder and serious violent crime.

I note, again, that murder rates rose steeply post the 1960s, and have stayed at that high rate despite advances in trauma surgery which should have seen it fall dramatically. Also, that three people are killed annually in the Uk by people on release from sentences for murder.

It seems to me from these facts that the death penalty abolition probably has more innocent blood on its hands than the advocates.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 pm

^Mugwump, here's a further effort to address some of the points above and some from your earlier post. Don't ask me to condense it, even though it's repetitive; I've run out of gas!

1. The Primacy of Reason

I still don't think it matters what the principles of the moral or legal system are called, or whether they're 'natural' or otherwise. Often, the term 'natural' is used in historical argument vis-a-vis the 'supernatural'. But in a non-religious argument, it's hard to know what is meant by 'natural' given that in one sense, everything including our reasoning minds is natural. From what I can tell, people who think they've seen some useful distinction in the term are arguing that a move towards the natural has greater moral weight or primacy:

[natural[instinctive[reasoned]]]

But this leaves us with two problems. First, 'nature' and 'instinct' share all of the mystery and pliability of the divine, and have been used to deprive people of liberty just as effectively ('yes, but it's in their nature'). Second, the decisive filter still ends up being reason. How do we even describe what is instinctive if not through reasoned language? If nature is inscrutable, instinct is one of the most formidably difficult notions getting about; I can't see how its use can help except by disciplining a reason fetish in the way behavioural economics puts classical economics in its place. But you and I already accept that utility can override principle, so we're already on board with the limits of reason.

Think of the practical implications of trying to manage instinct as a principle of law. We might instinctively be repulsed enough to kill a killer or a rapist, or we might not blame someone for reacting instinctively and killing them. The issue here isn't dangerous people and their deserts; it is how 'instinct', or some notion resembling it, gets rolled out across the moral or legal system.

If we don't define these things more precisely, Fred kills John because he was 'naturally' enraged. Mary 'naturally' kills Father Jones because she thinks he has molested her son, only to discover later she was mistaken. So, how else do we get a handle on all this instinct except through reasoned, consistent principles? It would seem more conservative in the best sense of the word to start with our best reasoned effort, and from there override only on the basis of some inherent logical conundrum (e.g., taking a life to preserve a life in self defence) or pressing utility (e.g., airport security checks), in a begrudging acknowledgement of the limits of reason.

2. Rights/Liberties

You may have something else in mind here, but even if we start with a liberty as a principle, we still have to define it and incorporate it into our system of axioms. I can't see how the history of discussion concerning rights and liberties could change this. (That said, I would want to emphasise that rights and bills of rights, and the definition of rights over time, are central in concept and language to the formation of English law and democracy, from long before the English Civil War forward).

The problem with using liberty as a launchpad is that it assumes life/not life, so it isn't actually an a priori. And by not establishing life/not life first, we've jumped downstream and left a lot more undefined than meets the eye because we really mean:

life/not life [of some subject]

That single starting point has filled books on its own. Even so, I don't think this is lethal, because we can always back-track. But why would we mess about like that when we're trying to establish a system of principles, and inspire confidence in their efficacy?

3. The Scope of Rights/Liberties

The difficulty of defining the subject in 'life/not life [of some subject]' doesn't eliminate the need for a coherent system. The agreement presses on, as it does in our received system even as the identity of the subject remains contentious in abortion, euthanasia, animal rights, and so on.

Similarly, the abuses of colonialism or the unilateral actions of The Coalition of the Willing based on a vulgar universality don't undermine the fact that rights do already operate just fine within boundaries, some of which are more complicated than others. This aspect of scope is also assumed in the a priori:

life/not life [of some subject party to this agreement in some jurisdiction]

Sure, issues of scope cause complications. Hence, the state versus the federal, the EU versus the Member State, or the treaty versus the signatory. Still, no one thinks we should put our moral and legal systems on hold because of difficult boundary decisions.

I certainly agree with you that going beyond one's immediate jurisdiction is a fraught affair. Despite being internationalist in posture, my own standards for intervention and even trade are rarely met. You're dead right on this, in my view.

Mugwump wrote:
Liberties are contingent upon citizenship, and of course on adherence to the laws of the nation. Break those laws, and you are choosing to place yourself under the sanctions advertised by law.

Sure, but how are we in our jurisdictions going to reason our way consistently to those laws? (Falling foul of Duterte's jurisdiction is a different subject for another place and time).

Mugwump wrote:
The question is really the “end deemed necessary”... The main purpose is the one I stated earlier in the thread : it is to represent society’s ultimate revulsion at the act committed, and thereby to set an absolute standard for conduct, and to symbolize the power of the law over society’s most vicious members.

Again, though, this elevates "the power of the law over society’s most vicious members" or the need "to represent society’s ultimate revulsion at the act committed" above far more primary principles such as life/not life. But even if we argue them into place, the law already has jurisdiction over the most vicious of its members, so there's doesn't seem to be a need to rewrite that authority. Meanwhile, the claim that capital punishment has the ability to cause revulsion in people such that it will cause a decline in the murder rate, and that this decline is pressing enough to grant it exemption from the grip of our axioms, is one that can be tested.

4. The Utility of Capital Punishment

Mugwump wrote:
When we abandoned that standard, we opened Pandora’s box, and ushered in a mini-holocaust of murder and serious violent crime.

I note, again, that murder rates rose steeply post the 1960s, and have stayed at that high rate despite advances in trauma surgery which should have seen it fall dramatically. Also, that three people are killed annually in the Uk by people on release from sentences for murder.

It seems to me from these facts that the death penalty abolition probably has more innocent blood on its hands than the advocates.

The first issue here is whether we have a need strong enough to mess with our principled, coherent system. One death is too many, but just what does the data say about the murder rate in high-income countries? Is it so high generally, and so out of control we need to institute an override of our system of principles?

From what I can tell, the weight of evidence runs the other way.

First, the murder rate is very low in countries with comparable moral and legal systems to our own relative to other sets of countries, which is one comparison we can make. Second, the most likely data we have, US states with the death penalty versus those without, seem to indicate that those without the death penalty fare the same or even better. I would agree these are tenuous comparisons, so I'm happy to discard them. But as far as data goes, this is still our most controlled comparison.

Some respectable-sounding Stanford professor wrote:
The idea that the death penalty would reduce crime is a little bit like saying rain dancing is going to produce rain,” said John Donohue, a law professor at Stanford University, who has evaluated a number of studies on whether the death penalty deters crime. “It’s probably about as strong a finding as you can get. There is no statistical study that has given us any reason to believe the death penalty reduces murder." http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-does-death-penalty-deter-crime-20170321-story.html

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state#MRord

(Don't quote me on these sources - I just grabbed them blindly).

Third, over the last two decades the murder rate has declined in most countries with similar moral and legal systems to our own without capital punishment.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5

The murder rate through the 60s to the 90s in the UK did rise significantly, but aren't there much simpler go-tos for explanation, from demographic shifts to government policy, which should be explored before reaching for even more nebulous social theses?

And how did the murder rate reverse course after the mid-90s without the capital punishment you believe is necessary? Isn't this the research question most worthy of investigation?

Australian murder rates are apparently at record lows, despite the intractability of the issues besetting indigenous communities.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jun/18/australias-rate-falls-to-record-low-of-one-person-per-100000

If so, why would we intervene? We are looking here for a pressing utility which compels us to override our system of reasoned, consistent, tight-knit principles, not a few percentage points either way. Is this really the war which justifies martial law? Is the moral and legal system we heap praise upon in a comparative international and historical context suddenly on the nose due to this line of data?

I think it's reasonably clear that there is no principled justification within the moral and legal system for capital punishment. Moreover, as a strategy there is no evidence it works, so if radical intervention ever became necessary, we would need to look elsewhere for solutions.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Bloke who Stabbed his 5 year old Son deserves it
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:06 pm

The Man who Rapped the 11 year old should be sentence to Death by Hanging by Balls and Dick
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Spare us your perverse fantasies, please. Rolling Eyes
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm

^

To be fair, I think all rappers deserve that treatment.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Japan has just executed 7 people after 22 years in gaol

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/asia/japan-aum-shinriyko-leader-executed-intl/index.html

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Japan has just executed 7 people after 22 years in gaol

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/asia/japan-aum-shinriyko-leader-executed-intl/index.html

One of the worst ways to die and suffer. Had of done it properly 1000s would have died. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Right result, terrible process. 22 years. Ugh.

Had to roll my eyes at the Amnesty spokesman. “Justice demands accountability but also respect for everyone's human rights. The death penalty can never deliver this as it is the ultimate denial of human rights."

Justice involves, at minimum in such cases, suspension of human rights by locking someone up for many years. So “Accountability” means that your human rights are annulled by virtue of your gross violation of others’ human rights - in this case by murdering strangers, very torturously, on a subway.

Do these people have any intellect at all ? Amnesty started off with the laudable aim of representing people who were punished for their political views. Now it’s just another ideological branch of the wishing-tree la-la Left, representing the interests of torturers. I’m ashamed to think that I once donated to it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:19 am

Opposing killing by the state – what a bunch of far-left pansies!

Can you remind me about the point in the past when Amnesty supported capital punishment?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:42 am

David wrote:
Opposing killing by the state – what a bunch of far-left pansies!

Can you remind me about the point in the past when Amnesty supported capital punishment?

The first statement is a slogan impoverished of any argument, so we’ll leave that to one side.

On the second point, when I donated to it, its raison d’etre was freeing political prisoners (indeed, I suspect it probably still is, nominally). Asahara is a criminal serial killer of a particularly vicious stamp, not a political prisoner.

If Amnesty is now a criminal justice advisory organization, I do not share its aims. Especially given its spokesman’s statement is a weak form of self-evidence, as explained.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:44 am

Can you remember the website?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Look, I’d be honestly astounded if there was ever a time in which opposition to capital punishment wasn’t one of their core planks. If they’ve made it a more central part of their advocacy in recent years, I have no problem with that and I doubt most members or donors would either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11   

Jump to: