Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

This is weird right?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the doco on Mary Kay Fualaau nee Letourneau, and now im grappling with my social conscience I guess youd call it. I know darn well if this relationship was the other way around, id be horrified, disgusted, outraged, and yet even though this story should and does make me feel some of that, it doesnt seem as bad for some reason. Social conditioning? When i was about 20 a 15 year old who lived across the road from my horses paddock, took off with a married 30 year old dude, interstate, She had been carrying on with him against her parents wishes for a while. She did come back but i think took off again. I moved my horses and lost touch, but i remember talking with her, and being horrified at how she felt. I thought he was an old creepy dude! I wonder what happened to her, I cant even remember her name.
I kind of felt guilty at the end of the doco hoping they will sort out their separation, but im guessing and marriage with such a large age gap, 20 years, would get more difficult over time, and even more so when Shes older, as guys mature slower. He wants to party, Shes my age, so im guessing Shes more more once in a while thanks, let me chill"! Plus with all the publicity, that wouldnt help. Pretty amazing when you see how She managed to keep in touch with her older children. Though i cant fathom how she cost herself those precious 7.5 years with them, knowingly.

I was talking with my 22 year old about gay couples recently, and how my generation is for the most part socially conditioned to feel a certain way, and how it annoys me that my mind goes there, when i fully support Gay marriage, and get along fine with the gay kids I know. For the generation coming up now, they just dont see their gay friends any differently.

And then we started talking about race. It saddens me that even though I consider all races as equal, i still see in my mind the differences.

So i did a search to see if the subject of Mary Kay had come up here, and some how found this thread. Some of the answers may gave in the doco, "ï didnt know it was illegal!"' "other teaches should no better now because my case is notorious" they just sound like excuses to me.

Id still like to think this teacher in this thread just liked footy, or wanted to be involved with all the kids. But I admit, if one of my kids male teachers had of shown up to netball, i would have wondered.... So is that on me? Or is that the way I was brought up? has it changed? should it change? uncomfortable conversation with my self!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:44 am

Mary kay what?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Mary kay what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kay_Letourneau

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm

OK, nup. 12 years old, way too young.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm

stui magpie wrote:
OK, nup. 12 years old, way too young.

He was her student at 12, and they had sex when he wasnt her student and he was 13. and I agree, too young. At the time I remember being horrified, and yet they got married when she was released, and although they separated last year, they still live together with their kids, and at times her kids from her first marriage. Still wrong to me, and yet I can see the love story in it, and thats what disturbs me, no way I could see it if it was the other way around!! Why do i feel that way?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Dunno. I don't see a difference whether the teacher was male or female, 12 and 13 is just too young.

There were 2 girls in my year 12 grade who were on with (much) older blokes, but both were over 17.

One of them was on with the art teacher who's wife worked in the school library. The other was on with the owner of a local business where she'd been working part time. I thing his wife caught them and took a huge chunk out of his wallet.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Dunno. I don't see a difference whether the teacher was male or female, 12 and 13 is just too young.

There were 2 girls in my year 12 grade who were on with (much) older blokes, but both were over 17.

One of them was on with the art teacher who's wife worked in the school library. The other was on with the owner of a local business where she'd been working part time. I thing his wife caught them and took a huge chunk out of his wallet.

I agree, teacher or not, actually that makes it worse! just the outcome I guess isnt as horrifying as i thought it would be! Shouldnt watch late night crime shows!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:52 pm

I think I've read about that story before, and yeah, it's sad. I think it's okay to condemn the crime – and to recognise the necessity that it be a crime – while simultaneously acknowledging that suffering is not always inherent in the nature of the crime committed (particularly when the harm is psychological rather than physical), but dependent on other factors; not everyone reacts the same way, and what's awful and traumatic for 95% of the population might be less so for someone else (and people have a right to process their victimisation as they see fit).

While we need to dispense with harmful gender stereotypes in cases like these (girls are victims, boys are gagging for it), I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging the role of gender as one of several factors in the extent of harm and victimisation. How could it not be?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:55 pm

A lot of practice.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:47 pm

David wrote:
I think I've read about that story before, and yeah, it's sad. I think it's okay to condemn the crime – and to recognise the necessity that it be a crime – while simultaneously acknowledging that suffering is not always inherent in the nature of the crime committed (particularly when the harm is psychological rather than physical), but dependent on other factors; not everyone reacts the same way, and what's awful and traumatic for 95% of the population might be less so for someone else (and people have a right to process their victimisation as they see fit).

While we need to dispense with harmful gender stereotypes in cases like these (girls are victims, boys are gagging for it), I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging the role of gender as one of several factors in the extent of harm and victimisation. How could it not be?

Yeah i guess thats what I mean, i just wish subconsciously i didnt think like that! becuase really it shouldnt matter! im just wondering if its my age group, have things changed?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm

To be honest I often wonder who is the one actually doing the reporting if a female teacher is getting it on with one of her male students.

I doubt it would be the teenage boy involved all that often as I'd suggest he's to busy having the time of his life.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm

swoop42 wrote:
To be honest I often wonder who is the one actually doing the reporting if a female teacher is getting it on with one of her male students.

I doubt it would be the teenage boy involved all that often as I'd suggest he's to busy having the time of his life.

It was a relative of her estranged husband that reported it.

Apparently the cops found him I. Her car one night and rang his mum and she said it was fine for him to be with her - go mom hey! Big eye roll there!

HAL 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:20 pm

No really, it's true.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Sure is Hal!

Be really easy for male teachers, I had a mad crush on my home room teacher in form 1, so I was only 11, he was young, stubble, fit, dimples, blonde, longish hair, gravelly voice, Mr James. And for some reason I know he lived in Cardigan st Carlton! I don’t even know where that is! The there was my pony club instructor, but I was 20 then. He’s a face book friend now! So is his missus!

All the boys had a crush on our physics teacher, simon Crean’s wife carol, ugh, she was a bitch of a teacher, screamed and yelled, but she wore a yellow shirt with no bra, I’m guessin* it was that and the fact there was a mad rumour she was having it off with the the biology teacher, Mr Boucher! He was cute! Probably why the girls hater her!

Cmon guys fess up, could a teacher have taken advantage of you?

HAL 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Where was he born?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: