Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

watt price tully's wonderful bike riding adventure:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck WPT.

I'm getting back into the weekly 30km round trip into the city & return.
I am a social rider, just enjoy the ride on the day I don't go walking.

Hubby is doing 3 days of the Great Victorian Bike Ride in December with a couple of mates.
About 70kms per day - they decided the full week would be too much.

Upping the kms on the weekly Sunday morning bike ride and he is doing bike training at the gym twice a week in addition to normal gym sessions.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:13 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Good luck WPT.

I'm getting back into the weekly 30km round trip into the city & return.
I am a social rider, just enjoy the ride on the day I don't go walking.

Hubby is doing 3 days of the Great Victorian Bike Ride in December with a couple of mates.
About 70kms per day - they decided the full week would be too much.

Upping the kms on the weekly Sunday morning bike ride and he is doing bike training at the gym twice a week in addition to normal gym sessions.

Thanks DB, you should do the 40km ATB option: that’s how I started. Once you can do 30 you can do 90 and some. I’ll be doing the full 8 days although sleeping in tents again: reckon I snore a lot more than I used to 🤦‍♂️😱🚴

The other thing that helps is having a decent bike.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 pm

Having a decent bike is the thing I understand least about recreational cyclists.

The better the bike the less effort you need to exert, the less benefit you get from the exercise.

I completely get competitive cyclists wanting the most advantage, but if you're just doing it for exercise you'll get a better workout doing 10km on an elderly Malvern Star than doing 25km on a $10k carbon fibre rocket.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:14 pm

id rather have a fat arse than a sore one
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Having a decent bike is the thing I understand least about recreational cyclists.

The better the bike the less effort you need to exert, the less benefit you get from the exercise.

I completely get competitive cyclists wanting the most advantage, but if you're just doing it for exercise you'll get a better workout doing 10km on an elderly Malvern Star than doing 25km on a $10k carbon fibre rocket.

Nah, it’s a slog on a crap bike and not enjoyable. Since I got my Roadbike I find it too hard to ride the old heavier bike. It also means I can ride longer distances. It’s an utterly different riding experience.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:03 pm

think positive wrote:
id rather have a fat arse than a sore one

You can have both 😜

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:15 pm

^
Depends which bar you pass out in. Wink

I get the argument about the better the bike, the easier it is and the more enjoyable the experience, but that does make it more about recreation than exercise which is fine if thats your intent.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^
Depends which bar you pass out in. Wink

I get the argument about the better the bike, the easier it is and the more enjoyable the experience, but that does make it more about recreation than exercise which is fine if thats your intent.

Rather than 10,000 mine cost $3000 in 2016. The design geometry is friggin amazing so it’s comparing bikes of when you used to ride a bike to now is just amazing,

It is such a pleasure to ride. Makes both recreation, commuting and exercise brilliant. Mine retailed for $3700 at the time but I got it some months after release.

Mind you I wouldn’t knock back a $10,000 bike (not sure it would be 3 times better than mine.

The geometry referred to assists your arse, knees, back, and shoulders etc. They are amazing.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:31 pm

Wow, did the 210 km option Around the Bay in a Day ride today. Raised over $3,000 for the Smith Family.

Albert Park, Port Melbourne, West Gate Bridge Newport, Williamstown, Altona (detour coz the road was flooded) eventually onto the Freeway, Geelong via Corio, near Eastern Beach then turn onto the roads which take you to Queenscliff. Ferry Sorrento, then though Blairgowrie Rye, Dromana Safety Beach then onto the esplanade: north facing traffic was blocked for cars. Though to Mornington then onto Nepean Highway, Beach Road from Mordialloc to Middle Park, up Kerferd Road / Albert Road then a lap of Albert Park to the finish line.

The detour added another 10 km’s so we did 220km’s. Currently cramping something rotten. Took extra magnesium and have been drinking a shit load of water.

A great day and some hard work in the saddle today. I love my 🚲. Sarah who is 36 ride with me and this was the most she’s ever ridden. She did a ripper job and we helped each other out. I give good drafting!

On the way back near Rye we had some cross winds which I found really challenging. Able to sort my self out; the mental gymnastics you experience when riding (doing anything really which is endurance) is something. Burned it on Nepean Highway where since they’re completed the railway line has resulted in a beautiful smooth new asphalt surface on Nepean Highway; a real pleasure to ride.

Now to snore the neighborhood down 🤦‍♂️😱😉🚲

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:35 pm

From the Around the Bay in a Day ride on Sunday 9/10/22:

FWIW and for the record according to Bicycle Victoria the ATB in a day had this many complete the ride:

20km: 1497
50 km: 2304
100 km: 2320
200 km: 298
210 km: 2228
300km: 293

A 3 min vid using drones:

https://m.facebook.com/BicycleNetwork/videos/united-energy-around-the-bay-2022-highlights/804253030626106/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:47 am

thats actually very cool to watch with my second coffee!
kudus to the drone guy, those things are tricky!

so at what time point in the video can i see you???????!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:13 pm

Day one complete on the Great Victorian Bike Ride: Koroit to Noorat, about 69 km’s. Great tail wind, sleeping in tents, shared toilets, shared showers, fat people, skinny people, young, old in between an army of volunteers, currently a live band playing U2 covers, school groups, all sorts. 2800 participants and loads of volunteers with ambulance etc.

Tomorrow Noorat to Timboon about 79 km’s.

Great catching up with some folk I met 3 years ago (Robe SA to Torquay)
This is my 5th Great Vic including one organised by them in WA. Did 2 with my kids when they were younger. Also did 3 in QLD. Great fun. 9 days with a rest day in Apollo Bay (so 8 days of riding).

Go Pies 🚴😊🚴😊🚴 🏕️

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:15 pm

ugh

sorry, thats all i got! ouch!

go you!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:21 pm

think positive wrote:
ugh

sorry, thats all i got! ouch!

go you!

Cheers TP. My teepee Tent (I pay an extra 500) to get an old canvas tent erected with a mattress supplied (mattress might be an overstatement) is located tonight in the back row next to a paddock. Great for the middle of the night business as it were that people of a certain age might need (2 cups of tea Post the evening meal) 🤦‍♂️

Last night we were near a friggin’ generator that went all night 😱. Tonight I might be that generator😉

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:49 pm

You can have that all to yourself.

Today I saw the rarest of things, a sensible cyclist. Coming home up through Heidelberg, some poor chubby bugger labouring badly on a bike in the left lane, doing about 10kmh up a slight incline. No bike lane and narrow road meant that cars in the left lane couldn't pass him without going into the next lane which was full of cars, so he had a queue behind him.

Bloke made the sensible choice to depart the road and ride on the footpath instead, without any roadrage prompting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15   

Jump to: