Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

watt price tully's wonderful bike riding adventure:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived in Inverleigh about 77 km’s today from Anglesea via Bells Beach. Some short nasty hills post Bells Beach but beautiful scenery. As per usual I leave at 06:30 so had lunch at 09:00 at Winchelsea ! Last 30 km’s were flat but with rough roads. Last night tonight before another 61 close to Ballarat where we finish ( was meant to be Buninyong but the car park area was too flooded so they added an extra few km’s and a hill to get to Federation Uni car park. The few km at the end of 7 days riding is uphill 🤦‍♂️🚴🚲😉. Looking fwd to my own bed, bathroom and toilet 😊😉

Got to Inverleigh at 10:50 then had lots of tea, food...bloody hot on the Inverleigh football oval currently resting with others in the shadow of a semi trailer watching the cricket on a large portable monitor with a gr8 sound punctuated by assisting the local lions club and their sausage sizzle 😊😉

🚴🚴🚲🚴🚴

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:00 pm

Done and dusted. Inverleigh to Mt Helen, past Meredith and close to Buninyong.

The last day is generally the easiest along with the first. Only 61 km’s.

HOWEVER, good lord. The head wind was enough to make a grown man cry (and when I find a grown man….) wow, strong relentless and unrelenting wind along a straight road mostly for 18 continuous km’s no trees and a gale was blowing: a strong hot northerly where at times I thought I was going backwards. If that wasn’t enough there was a slight incline which was punctuated with with hills minus much of a descent, Later on more hills. It was the toughest day of the lot. 🤦‍♂️🚴🚲🚴

Ended at Mt Helens, near Ballarat. It’s called Mt Helen for a reason 🤦‍♂️😱😉🚴🚴🚲🚲🚴🚴🚲🚲

Had a good time but the last 3 days were marred by a right inflamed achilles and a swollen ankle (off to the GP and physiotherapist).

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:12 pm

I went to Mount Helen once, she told me to piss off.

But seriously I've been there several times, very pretty area.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:20 pm

Hubby was totally knackered by the time he got home yesterday.

Really enjoyed the ride along the Great Ocean Road - Apollo Bay to Anglesea.
Ran into some fiends of our who live in Geelong at the overnight stay in Apollo Bay and rode a bit of the way with them. Didn't see them again for the rest of the ride though.
Friend of ours have a holiday house in Fairhaven, so he joined the boys for the last bit of the ride into Anglesea. Offered a bed for the night, so with some quick re-organising, nice shower, meal and bed Friday night.

Second day was OK but going inland not the nice scenery.
Caught up with another couple of friends who live just outside of Ballarat (very disorganised couple, almost didn't make it to Apollo Bay for the 3 day ride)

Final day was an absolute killer.
As you said WPT it was hard going, hubby pretty much ran out of gas with about 2km to go but managed to get to the end.

Discovered that the Skoda Octavia wagon is like a Tardis.
Managed to get in 3 adult males, 3 bikes, couple of tents and various bags for the trip back to Melbourne. Mates weren't keen on doing the bus trip back to Melbourne after such a tough day, so they managed to get all the gear in the car Very Happy

Overall hubby enjoyed the experience, said the ride along the Great Ocean Road was worth it however confirmed that camping is not his thing much prefers a comfortable bed.

Last edited by Dark Beanie on Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:29 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Hubby was tota

I’m presuming you’re saying he was totally fine post the immediate aftermath of that last day? 😉

The day before was no cinch either; people think the Great Ocean Road is a “cakewalk”. The bits after Lorne, near Aries Inlet and Anglesea can be tough.

Congrats to ur husband. Hopefully it will motivate him to do it in 2023 over more days; Orbost to Inverloch.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:56 pm

Typing too quick and hit the wrong key. Laughing

Not sure if he will do it again, depends if his mates want to do it.
At least next time he knows what to expect.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:40 pm

^ Congrats to ur husband; it’s a feat if you haven’t dunnit before. That last day 🤦‍♂️.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:43 pm

A video from Bicycle Network of the Great Victorian Bike Ride (a bit of false advertising given almost all of it was from the Great Ocean Road leg of the ride which was the best day in terms of the weather and is scenically splendid.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/rides-and-events/great-victorian-bike-ride/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GVBR22---Post-event-wrap-up-GENERAL---051222&utm_content=Great+Vic+2022+highlights+video&utm_source=comms.bicyclenetwork.com.au#highlights-video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15   

Jump to: