Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

More states legalize Pot 8) when for Oz?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will it be legal here?
Within 2 years
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
2-5 years
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
6-10 years
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
11-20 years
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
It'll never happen
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
The good bit of Prahran - or the bad bit on the other side of Chapel Street?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:57 am

think positive wrote:
tru dat! we did tend to stick to the tourist or crowded areas! ... and just outside Boston! THAT was like the movies!!

Where just outside Boston?

The EC subways and subway stations in general are well lit and somehow feel safe even late at night with not many people around. How justified that feeling is I don't know. Of course, you do have to exit at some point, and whether it's safe from the door of the subway station to your destination is another question.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:58 am

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
The good bit of Prahran - or the bad bit on the other side of Chapel Street?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Went to a wake at the Flying Duck some 20 years ago for the brother of Max Fairchild (aka Skull) who was in Mad max and was also Beau from Beaurepaires . His sister in law put 2000 over the bar in the lounge. A couple of the housos heard about it and suddenly about 6 turned up and tried to claim they were drinking as part of the wake and scoffed a few sangers. Max walked out to the main bar, picked one up and said "I am not having a very good day and you are not helping " then took him outside and threw him into a bush. Never saw the rest again, they were somewhat shit scared and all headed off back to the housing complex.

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:18 am

Err... north is good, south is bad?

Was there any pot at the wake? Or just pots?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:58 am

http://urhealthinfo.com/2018/04/12/colorado-is-using-3-milliofrom-marijuana-tax-to-provide-food-and-housing-for-the-homeless/

Colorado is Using $3 Million From Marijuana Tax to Provide Food and Housing for the Homeless
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:13 am

K wrote:
Err... north is good, south is bad?

Was there any pot at the wake? Or just pots?

Just beer but it used to be a popular watering hole for the interns at the Alfred. My GP in Glen Iris said she probably spewed on every tile in the womens toilet. So I dare say there may have been a bit of product around.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am

Culprit wrote:
http://urhealthinfo.com/2018/04/12/colorado-is-using-3-milliofrom-marijuana-tax-to-provide-food-and-housing-for-the-homeless/

Colorado is Using $3 Million From Marijuana Tax to Provide Food and Housing for the Homeless

So the false blackmail goes. “ Legalise this mind-altering drug or we won’t house or feed the poor”. How morally bankrupt can government get ?

Cf. We really should addict more young people to cigarettes. They’re a great revenue raiser, they fund infant welfare centers and so they keep little babies alive.

You could not make it up.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:

So the false blackmail goes. “ Legalise this mind-altering drug or we won’t house or feed the poor”. How morally bankrupt can government get ?

Cf. We really should addict more young people to cigarettes. They’re a great revenue raiser, they fund infant welfare centers and so they keep little babies alive.

There's a bit more to it than that though.

If it was still illegal, therefore not taxed, it would make no difference to the amount of people smoking it... just the crims would have the money to spend on guns and sportscars.

Pot isn't as bad as you seem to think Mugwump, I don't know too many people that haven't smoked it, and I can assure you, none of them are the walking zombies with their minds altered Wink

K 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 pm

Skids wrote:
... I don't know too many people that haven't smoked it, and I can assure you, none of them are the walking zombies with their minds altered Wink

Mugwump wrote:

... I lived in the Hague and the Netherlands for four years and I saw many blown-out hippies, brain damaged and unemployable, and that in a regime where supply is (despite the myths) carefully controlled.

Hmm....
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Some might say the above are examples of a bong-half-full/half-empty approach. Wink

Personally, I reckon the truth lies somewhere in-between. I doubt that the majority of the Dutch hippies in question had had their minds cooked by weed alone, but I also accept that not everyone escapes unscathed.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 pm

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
tru dat! we did tend to stick to the tourist or crowded areas! ... and just outside Boston! THAT was like the movies!!

Where just outside Boston?

The EC subways and subway stations in general are well lit and somehow feel safe even late at night with not many people around. How justified that feeling is I don't know. Of course, you do have to exit at some point, and whether it's safe from the door of the subway station to your destination is another question.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/811+Massachusetts+Ave,+Boston,+MA+02118,+USA/@42.3329645,-71.0740939,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e37a15e6723e83:0x179cca38a1e4899b!8m2!3d42.3325759!4d-71.0729888

you can see the massive health care and hospital next door, it looked really nice, and fairly new. We decided to try and walk to the circle bus as it was only a mile, and if you look to the right you can see the massive Suffulk county house of corrections!We were walking alongside the back of it, and it was just a wall and windows, no signs but electrical sensors on the grass, and then we saw the sign! thats when i said stuff it, lets go back and call a taxi!

I take it youve spent time there? we only had a day, as hubby decided he wanted to go to Denver for the auctions when id already booked everything, so i had to find a day, and it came from Boston! We had a lovely day there though, (well after we got the taxi!!), did the circle tour, and a harbour cruise which was really awesome. The city is so beautiful and clean. And i just loved all the brownstones, just gorgeous, so many incredible buildings in such good state of repair, it was very impressive.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Culprit wrote:

Thats great news, there is certainly plenty in need of help. We drove past a huge refuge, with a really long line out the front, and the cab driver said its always like that, but everyone is just patient`and they just wait their turn, and if you see them on the street they are not pushy like in LA or New York.

I really like Denver, the main street on Saturday night is fantastic, stages and stalls everywhere, lots of free entertainment, its a really nice laid back vibe (smells a bit funny though!!!). Going back there for 3 nights at the end of our trip may/june for Mecum Car auctions, ill have to see if the rockies are playing while we are there, that was a great night!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Skids wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:

There's a bit more to it than that though.

If it was still illegal, therefore not taxed, it would make no difference to the amount of people smoking it... just the crims would have the money to spend on guns and sportscars.

Pot isn't as bad as you seem to think Mugwump, I don't know too many people that haven't smoked it, and I can assure you, none of them are the walking zombies with their minds altered Wink

Skids, I don’t doubt that dope is little risk to many people, yourself included, who have brain function that is low risk for psychosis or even dope “addiction”. My problem is that there are many people who carry those risks very strongly, and the evidence (as well as common sense) is that legalization increases use and it will wreck their lives.

I would once have believed that we should not make laws that affect healthy individuals to allow for the weak. Having seen the effects of alcohol and gambling on vulnerable people, however, and those who love t(em, I don’t find that view tenable any more. I think the harms outweigh the benefits.

The main point of my post above, though, was just to point out the logical poverty of an argument which bases legalization on tax raising. There may be an argument for legalization on libertarian grounds, but I think that’s a far stronger argument than the idea that government should profit though increasing access to harmful drugs.

I’ve written here about my own experience with dope ( in summary, once was lovely, once was neutral, once was hellish and potentially life-ending). The point is that neurotransmitters are different from one individual to another. They create genius and they create catatonia. Playing around with them en masse outside medical supervision is not something any wise society takes lightly, even if some people get a nice experience from it.

I don’t like the fact that innocent, good guys like yourself are denied a harmless (to you) pleasure, but well, government and law does that in many ways. I do not think the trade-off is worth it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 pm

David wrote:
Some might say the above are examples of a bong-half-full/half-empty approach. Wink

Personally, I reckon the truth lies somewhere in-between. I doubt that the majority of the Dutch hippies in question had had their minds cooked by weed alone, but I also accept that not everyone escapes unscathed.

You’re probably right about that - LSD was a major mind-breaker in the height of its popularity, and the sad case of Syd Barrett no doubt had many, less famous, parallels.

In the end, though, these discussions need to be based on reputable data. Have a read of Wayne Hall and Louisa Degenhardt’s study in the journal of the World Psychiatric Society (June 2008). You don’t have to read the whole thing, just the abstract. It really does come down to this : does the right of some to experience a pleasant state of intoxication outweigh the damage caused by psychosis (not to mention memory loss, fugue, and general indolent detachment) which dope causes in a significant number of users ? And is it possible that jerking around with neurotransmitters can cause extreme anti-social acts including terrorism in susceptible individuals ? After all, it took us years to understand the negative effects of smoking : are you confident that this smoke-machine in the brain is all it seems ? Is a casual high in some brains worth the known costs and unknown risks in others ?

Finally, is this not a case study in how things that seem obvious on first glance (it’s my body, my choice, harmless to others, better or no worse than alcohol, widely used, tax it etc) become far less simple on deeper examination ? Our society has become a dull pupil to conventional liberal lesson plans that deserve way more scrutiny than they receive.

K 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:07 am

Mugwump wrote:
You’re probably right about that - LSD was a major mind-breaker in the height of its popularity, and the sad case of Syd Barrett no doubt had many, less famous, parallels.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/003640.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 12 of 33   

Jump to: