Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

More states legalize Pot 8) when for Oz?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will it be legal here?
Within 2 years
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
2-5 years
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
6-10 years
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
11-20 years
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
It'll never happen
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thanks K, Yes, that’s the case. One will never know whether the drugs brought down the schizophrenia or merely accelerated its onset and worsened its effect. It’s a good case study : drugs do not mess up everyone (though I suspect every regular user is probably damaged vs their personal innate potential, it’s hard to think how an experiment could prove that) ... but they can and do wreak havoc on the susceptible and fragile.

I should add that I’d like a more clinically-validated assessment before I took it at face value that Barrett succumbed to schizophrenia (itself a rather fluid and shape-shifting illness when I studied psychology long ago) rather than some other form of neurotransmitter disorder caused by the “shovelfuls” of drugs he was taking. The science of neurotransmitters and individual differences is far from settled, as the differing experience of those who take SSRI anti-depressants will attest.

K 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:03 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/upshot/its-time-for-a-new-discussion-of-marijuanas-risks.html

I have not read this yet (and the author often gives the impression that he severely overestimates his own intelligence), but I intend to...

Update: some quotes from the above and links therein (with a focus on the more worrying)...

"For people who reported marijuana use, or had THC detected through testing, their odds of being involved in a motor vehicle accident increased by 20 to 30 percent, the study found."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/add.13347

"There’s moderate evidence, from many studies, that learning, memory and attention can be impaired in the 24 hours after marijuana use."

https://www.nap.edu/read/24625/chapter/13 *

"The most recent meta-analysis found that there’s a significant connection between heavy marijuana use and a diagnosis of psychosis, specifically schizophrenia. This mirrored the findings of previous reviews that sought to cover only high-quality studies. Another systematic review highlighted a potentially small but statistically significant link between marijuana use and the development of bipolar disorder. Heavy users of pot are also more likely to say they have suicidal thoughts.

What makes this complicated is that it’s hard to establish the arrow of causality."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4988731/

* The whole book (The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids) is viewable and, it seems, searchable: https://www.nap.edu/read/24625/chapter/1
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 am

iT'S FUNNY.... well, I had caplocks on and didn't realize, I could of changed it, but I'm stoned and I don't care and this post is not subject to spell check... is that one word or 2 Confused

I digressed... as did the last 7 ... or more, there's no way I'm going back from here Cool

WHY (yes, that's intentionaal capitalz)... because I've just got home from a few weeks away and Had a few cpnes in the back shed... Pete bit my face she was so excited when I got home.

Crazy day, crazy last swing.

Obviously, we don't/can't smoke weed in the work environment. We also can't smoke weed; much soon ever... when we're at home... It's Illegal Evil or Very Mad

Where's this going you may ask..... well, i'm trying to convey how good a few cones of the evil weed now and then is and it shouldn't be illegal to partake!

I sat on a plane home just now... from Port headland, with the biggest bunch of drunks II've been on a plane with.
I had a few beers at the Pier in headland from around 5 today... after starting at 4 this morning on my 12th straght day up there.

Kelly picked me u[ just now, 9.40ish perth time.... and I knew i had weed in the shed Very Happy Cool

ToNIGHt i will have the best sleep this aching body needs and I feel greta... great Smile

THE END

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 am

"I'll have what he's having." Razz
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 am

K wrote:
Skids wrote:
... I don't know too many people that haven't smoked it, and I can assure you, none of them are the walking zombies with their minds altered Wink

Mugwump wrote:

... I lived in the Hague and the Netherlands for four years and I saw many blown-out hippies, brain damaged and unemployable, and that in a regime where supply is (despite the myths) carefully controlled.

Hmm....

The NYT article above also has many reader comments, of which the ones expressing first-hand experience are of interest. Again, both camps seem to have significant representation.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 am

David wrote:
"I'll have what he's having." Razz

Laughing

Yes, was a bit more potent than I thought. Plus, there's always a greater effect when you don't have any for 3 weeks and then blaze a few billys.

Slept like a log, 9 days off Cool

K 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Skids wrote:
Plus, there's always a greater effect when you don't have any for 3 weeks and then blaze a few billys.

That's interesting. A tolerance or desensitization effect. I guess only to be expected, but 3 weeks is not so long an abstinence period.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 pm

K wrote:
Skids wrote:
Plus, there's always a greater effect when you don't have any for 3 weeks and then blaze a few billys.

That's interesting. A tolerance or desensitization effect. I guess only to be expected, but 3 weeks is not so long an abstinence period.

It always seems like a long time K Laughing

And most definitely! I've gone through many different frequency's of use.
Prior to FIFO, prior to work place drug testing, I used to smoke much more frequently... you do build up a tolerance. I'd suggest that's the same for, almost, all drugs?

I use three different drugs for sleep when I'm away; restavite, phenergen and Mersyndol (coedine).
Most nights I use one of these and alternate amongst the trio. Being away from home, sleeping in a single bed (usually with a pretty average mattress) isn't easy to get used to, especially when you're doing 12 hour shifts for a couple of weeks straight, in extreme conditions. If you don't get enough sleep, you're an accident waiting to happen out there, believe me.

Don't use anything when I'm home on break... well the gunja helps sometimes.
Have done so for 15 years. Checked it with my GP and he said it's fine, you function better with adequate sleep, if you need to use them, use them.

This is why cannabis should be legalised immediately!

My rant last night failed to convey what I intended.. for obvious reason... I was baked! Laughing

The plane full of alcohol affected passengers were a disgrace! Loud, obnoxious and, of most concern, aggressive. This is the biggest problem with alcohol. I'm not gunna harp on about it again, but 80% of police responses are for alcohol related incidents... 80 funkin %!!

Yes Mugs... just because one drug isn't as bad in my opinion blah bla blah.

What I want, is ALL drugs legalised and regulated.

I was thinking about this whilst walking Pete this morning.
I've run out of smoke... I wouldn't mind a bit more for the next couple of days. Have a smoke and watch the Pies win this weekend before I head back to the bush. Cool

If it was legal, I'd go down the chemist, show my medicare card and photo ID and pick up a gram or 2. It's all registered and monitored... oh yeah, Skids smokes 5 grams a month, he's a 50 yo tax payer, clean (ish) record, does the righty, all good.

Damo on the other hand, he's grabbed 30 grams in the last few weeks, doesn't work and is a bit of a rough diamond... maybe he needs reference to a GP for further monitoring.

People who need help, could be sent for it sooner rather than later.

I can get some smoke now if I want, anyone can. The black market will continue to thrive until we get smarter with drug regulation.

Prohibition of ANYTHING doesn't, hasn't and will never work.

We need to get a lot smarter about this....

Legalise, not just gunja, but, ALL drugs. It's the only way, argue all you like, but I'm right on this one.

K 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:49 am

Psychedelic Drugs

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/15/magazine/health-issue-my-adventures-with-hallucinogenic-drugs-medicine.html
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 am

Oh a web page.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 am

So maybe instead of legalising drugs alcohol needs to be policed harder? In that state in the US you wouldn’t be allowed on the plane. Even hick country airports are incredibly thorough. Hubby had to let the air out of his footy at this tiny back country airport outside Toronto! Yes I know that’s Canada!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am

in the US you wouldn’t be allowed on the plane
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Psychedelic Drugs

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/15/magazine/health-issue-my-adventures-with-hallucinogenic-drugs-medicine.html

[Also: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/09/trip-treatment ]

Some quotes:

"PSYCHEDELIC THERAPY, whether for the treatment of psychological problems or as a means of facilitating self-exploration and spiritual growth, is undergoing a renaissance in America. This is happening both underground, where the community of guides like Mary is thriving, and aboveground, at institutions like Johns Hopkins, New York University and U.C.L.A., where a series of drug trials have yielded notably promising results.

I call it a renaissance because much of the work represents a revival of research done in the 1950s and 1960s, when psychedelic drugs like LSD and psilocybin were closely studied and regarded by many in the mental health community as breakthroughs in psychopharmacology. Before 1965, there were more than 1,000 published studies of psychedelics involving some 40,000 volunteers and six international conferences dedicated to the drugs. Psychiatrists were using small doses of LSD to help their patients access repressed material (Cary Grant, after 60 such sessions, famously declared himself “born again”); other therapists administered bigger so-called psychedelic doses to treat alcoholism, depression, personality disorders and the fear and anxiety of patients with life-threatening illnesses confronting their mortality.

That all changed in the mid-’60s, after Timothy Leary, the Harvard psychologist and lecturer turned psychedelic evangelist, began encouraging kids to “turn on, tune in and drop out.” "

"Yet researchers believe it is not the molecules by themselves that can help patients change their minds. The role of the guide is crucial. People under the influence of psychedelics are extraordinarily suggestible ... with the psychedelic experience profoundly affected by “set” and “setting” — that is, by the volunteer’s interior and exterior environments. For that reason, treatment sessions typically take place in a cozy room and always in the company of trained guides. The guides prepare volunteers for the journey to come, sit by them for the duration and then, usually on the day after a session, help them to “integrate,” or make sense of, the experience and put it to good use in changing their lives. The work is typically referred to as “psychedelic therapy,” but it would be more accurate to call it “psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.” "

"... Richards laid out what has become the standard protocol for aboveground psychedelic therapy, and the role of the guide at each of the three principal stages of “the journey.” First comes a series of preparation sessions, in which volunteers are told what to expect, asked to set an intention (to quit smoking, say, or confront their fear of death) and offered a set of “flight instructions” for the journey ahead. These generally advise surrendering to the experience, whatever it brings and however disturbing it might become. (“Trust, let go, be open” is one mantra he recommends, or, borrowing from John Lennon, “Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.”) If you feel as if you are “dying, melting, dissolving, exploding, going crazy, etc. — go ahead.” Richards stressed how important it is for the guide to quickly establish a rapport with volunteers, so that during the session “they can let themselves ‘die’ or go crazy — that requires an awful lot of trust!” Because the patients’ ego defenses are likely to be disabled by the drug, it’s crucial that they feel safe.

The second stage is the journey itself. ... Two guides, typically one male, the other female, sit with the volunteer for the duration but say very little, allowing the journey to unfold according to its own logic. Mostly the guide is present to offer a comforting hand if the journeyer is struggling, jot down anything she has to say and generally keep an eye on the volunteer’s physical well-being while she is roaming her psychic landscape. Because it is the drug and the mind that drive the journey and not the therapist, the guide’s role calls for an unusual degree of humility, restraint and patience — the sessions can last for hours.

The last stage is integration, which typically takes place the following day. Here the guide helps the volunteer make sense of what can be a confusing and inchoate experience, underscoring important themes and offering ideas on how to apply whatever insights may have emerged to the conduct of the volunteer’s life. The challenge, as Richards put it, is to help the volunteer transform “flashes of illumination” (he’s quoting Huston Smith, the late scholar of religion) experienced during the trip “into abiding light” — into a new, more constructive way to regard your self and situation."

"(Compared with other psychoactive compounds, psychedelics have low toxicity and are nonaddictive. The risks are primarily psychological: In some people, they can produce short-term anxiety and paranoia and, in rare cases, psychotic episodes. ...)"

"Lots of other things happened in Mary’s room, and in my head, during the course of my journey that day. I gazed into the bathroom mirror and saw the face of my dead grandfather. I trudged through a scorched desert landscape littered with bleached bones and skulls. One by one appeared the faces of the people in my life who had died, relatives and friends and colleagues whom, I was being told, I had failed properly to mourn. I beheld Mary transformed once again, this time into a ravishing young woman in the full radiance of youth; she was so beautiful I had to turn away."

"“These are drugs that psychotherapists unanimously feel could improve psychotherapy,” Metzner began, “but their use is illegal. What does that tell you? Something about the society we live in!” "

"But Big Pharma has not demonstrated significant interest in psychedelics, and it’s not hard to see why: Psychedelic therapy is a rather square peg to fit into the round hole of psychopharmacology as we now know it. Patents on the molecules in question — LSD, psilocybin and MDMA — have long since expired (psilocybin comes from a common mushroom); the drugs, if approved, don’t need to be taken more than a few times; and as the C.I.I.S. program recognizes, psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy is a novel hybrid of pharmacology and talk therapy, making it uncharted territory for a pharmaceutical industry organized around the selling of pills."

" “We don’t die well in this country,” Agrawal told me during a lunch break at the weekend course. “And we have pretty limited tools to help people deal with their fear. Prozac doesn’t work. The issue isn’t depression; it’s facing your mortality.” "
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 am

The article linked above is adapted from the book How to Change Your Mind, a review for which is available at
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/books/review-how-to-change-your-mind-psychedelics-science-michael-pollan.html

Some Quotes:

"Pollan is not the most obvious guide for such a journey. He is, to judge from his self-reporting, a giant square."

"Pollan’s initial skepticism and general lack of hipness work wonders for the material. The problem with more enthusiastic or even hallucinatory writers on the subject is that they just compound the zaniness at the heart of the thing..."

"It’s possible these effects can be chalked up, in part, to the drug’s effect on the brain’s so-called default mode network, especially the part associated with self-referential thought. Pollan grants, if briefly, that turning off the network — truly getting over yourself — might also be achieved through “certain breathing exercises,” or through “sensory deprivation, fasting, prayer, overwhelming experiences of awe, extreme sports, near-death experiences and so on.” "
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:11 am

^ this book was also reviewed in the Financial Times recently. It’s interesting to read, but apart from the inherent dangers of authorizing and encouraging the use of drugs that are dangerous for fragile minds, you can’t really get past the fact that the “truths” reported by those who drug themselves are nothing of the kind.

Someone, I think it was Thomas de Quincey, had a repeated vision of the profoundest truth, a revelation of the whole purpose of existence, while under opium ; but each time he had this aching vision, he found that he was too drugged to be able to record it. One night, he arranged a pencil and paper right beside his bed, and when this vision asserted itself to him, he dragged enough of his conscious mind to the surface to write it down. In a rank sweat from the enormous effort, he then sank again into the deepest sleep.

When he awoke the next morning, there, written on the paper, was this monumental insight : “the banana is great but the skin is greater”.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 13 of 33   

Jump to: