Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NBN - Good or Bad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:54 pm
Post subject: NBN - Good or BadReply with quote

I am finally getting the NBN in July but I have heard Bad and Good Things about it.

I have heard that it can be Worse then ADSL for Some People. Good Thing is that Speed is Constant.

What do you think of the NBN?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My son got it in mill park. needed to put in a WIFI extender to get better than dial up speed more than 20 feet from the modem
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
My son got it in mill park. needed to put in a WIFI extender to get better than dial up speed more than 20 feet from the modem

That could be more a Modem Problem then the NBN.

As we had Similar Problem and Getting a Better Modem fixed that

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 am

I'm not really crazy about switching over as I'm happy with our current internet plan and am not in much of a position to be paying for installation etc. right now. But if the speeds are so much better, then I guess that'll be something to look forward to. They're connecting our area in a couple of months, and as far as I'm aware our current adsl will cease functioning whether we like it or not.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:34 am

We've had it since early times, like 18 months ago, and seriously, I don't remember what it was like before. But I'm sure it's faster nowadays.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:27 am

Fibre to the Node will suck. My mate who works at NBN said if you get the node on your nature strip you will get great speed. Further away the less speed. NBN plans are pretty much on par. If you want speed you pay. It's costing tax payers more to actually get less.

Satellite and Wifi NBN will suck big time. I'm currently on high speed Telstra ultra Cable so I will be going backwards speed wise.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Culprit wrote:
Fibre to the Node will suck. My mate who works at NBN said if you get the node on your nature strip you will get great speed. Further away the less speed. NBN plans are pretty much on par. If you want speed you pay. It's costing tax payers more to actually get less.

Satellite and Wifi NBN will suck big time. I'm currently on high speed Telstra ultra Cable so I will be going backwards speed wise.

So yet another F**k Up by the Liberals Rolling Eyes

How do you know where the Node will Go?

I heard the same thing about the Nodes

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:53 pm

^^You won't until the start digging on your front nature-strip.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Been chatting to my mates who work at Telstra and NBN. I will be going HFC. http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/hfc-everything-you-need-to-know.html
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:06 pm

^

yeah, me too. I've already got the Telstra cable, also got the old Optus cable so whichever one is in better condition, I'll take.

Until then, the current telstra cable gives me all the speed I need.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Optus being Bullies:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/optus-threatens-disconnection-to-sign-up-nbn-customers-and-fasttrack-hfc-cable-shutdown-20170310-guv5ek.html

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:41 pm

I didn't know Optus TV was even still going. It got slaughtered by Foxtel as soon as they did the content sharing arrangement.

The Optus cable is till connected to the house, I just haven't used it for probably 15 years.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I didn't know Optus TV was even still going. It got slaughtered by Foxtel as soon as they did the content sharing arrangement.

The Optus cable is till connected to the house, I just haven't used it for probably 15 years.

We using as our ISP. Never used Foxtel and don't really Plan To

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:44 am

stui magpie wrote:

This has no relevance to the NBN whatsoever. Not even 0.0000001%. None.

NBN delivers signal to the box on the wall. Your router plugs into that box with a fast, simple, ultra-reliable LAN cable, then passes signal on to your devices, either via wire or wirelessly, typically both.

NBN hasd nothing to do with the router. Nothing whatsoever. It is supplied by your ISP (Telstra, Optus, Internode, etc.) or alternatively by you. NBN has no control over what brand of router you plug into your network, nor should they. They deliver industry-standard Ethernet signal to the outlet. If your equipment is incapable of transmitting that standard signal, it's not their fault. It is yours. Or, more likely, the fault of your ISP, if they supplied the router.

Youi can use any router with an NBN connection. Ditto with HFC cable. (But ADSL is different. For ADSL you also need a modem, or a two-in-one modem-router.) However, some of the stupider ISPs put their own artificial restrictions on that, and force you to use their own (usually crappy) routers. (Telstra, hang your heads in shame.) Even those you can work around if you want to and can be bothered.

DISCLAIMER: this applies to actual NBN connections, fibre or fixed wireless. It may or may not apply to Trumble's National Fraudband Network connections. Trumble buggered a lot of other NBN stuff up, I can't imagine what purpose it would serve to bugger this up too, and it certainly wouldn't save any money,. but with Trumble's mob in charge, who knows?)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:57 am

David wrote:
I'm happy with our current internet plan

Your new one will be cheaper and better. Bet money on that (if you haven't already lost all your money backing Pauline to lose in Queensland). Not because it's NBN (will it even be actual NBN? Probably not.) but simply because it's a newer plan, and Internet plans always get cheaper.

David wrote:
am not in much of a position to be paying for installation etc

NBN installation is free. If you already have a router (most people do), provided you avoid one or two brain-dead ISPs such as Telstra, you don't even need to spend $60 on a new router. You can just keep using your existing one.

Shop around for your your best plan. Repeat, shop around. Repeat, shop around. Some company somewhere will have a plan that really suits you at a price you like. Try Skymesh for the most flexible, BS-free plan of the lot. (I don't use them, for complicated reasons of no relevance here I'm with Telstra, but I've used Skymesh with perfect satisfaction, as have a number of other people I know. But shop around.

Do not, repeat not sign with scum like Dodo. Do you think that, being on a fast, modern NBN connection not actually supplied by them, even Dodo couldn't completely bugger it up and drive you nuts with slow, unreliable Internet and zero response to problems? If so, you are underestimating their talents. When it comes to providing really, really bad service and not even being sorry about it, Dodo is the varsity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9   

Jump to: