Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nicky Winmar. Vic Park.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nicky Winmar in bronze at Vic Park. How do you feel about this?
I'd like to see that.
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Yes, but not at Vic Park.
45%
 45%  [ 40 ]
I don't like the idea.
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
I'm undecided.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 87

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:19 am
Post subject: Nicky Winmar. Vic Park.Reply with quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/05/26/this-iconic-image-of-a-proud-indigenous-footballer-standing-up-t_a_22110505/

Quote:
This Iconic Image Of A Proud Indigenous Footballer Standing Up To Abuse Could Soon Be A Statue

If you're interested in contributing, the target is $155,000 and needs to be reached by June 26.

You can donate in the link.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Only statues of Collingwood players at Vic Park please.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:33 am

Yes, I think it was an important moment which needed to happen in football overall, it happened at VP, and in its own way it helped cure the Collingwood Football club of something that needed curing. It was brave and defiant and free of the self-serving behaviour of others who have paraded on this topic. I would be happy to see it.
barrackers 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:29 am

If there were other statues at Victoria Park I wouldn't be against the idea, but there's not. Surely statues of Collingwood legends at Vic Park should occur first and I'd also argue that Leon Davis has done as much for CFC indigenous relations over 11 seasons vs Winmar's 30 seconds of defiance.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:05 am

I was on the Rush Stand half forward flank, Yarra Falls end, when that occurred. It didn't make any impact on us at the time as no-one around us even knew that it had occurred until well after the game.

When I did hear about it my thought was that there were no racist comments from my part of the crowd.
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:31 am

barrackers wrote:
Surely statues of Collingwood legends at Vic Park should occur first and I'd also argue that Leon Davis has done as much for CFC indigenous relations over 11 seasons vs Winmar's 30 seconds of defiance.

I agree.

orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am
Post subject: nicky winmarReply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I was on the Rush Stand half forward flank, Yarra Falls end, when that occurred. It didn't make any impact on us at the time as no-one around us even knew that it had occurred until well after the game.

When I did hear about it my thought was that there were no racist comments from my part of the crowd.

I was at that game in the outer and it was the same for us. We didn't even realise it had happened until after the game. No racist comments near us. Truly.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:58 am

What does "it" refer to?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 pm

I was at the ground that day.
Can't remember whether there was any racist comments that day.
But I did hear it at times at other matches.
I knew instinctively then that the age of sledging whether from the crowd or players was over.
Yes, we can't have racist comments but it has gone onto anything that can offend.
We now have crowds that do not yell, do not get excited and the involvement from the crowd is minimal.
It makes for a bland game day experience.
And when you take out the emotion in football you take out the heart and soul.
Because, as I said before, the game of kicking an inflated ball between 2 sticks has no intellectual or noble aspect about it.
The game is tribal, aesthetically interesting and just plain animalistic

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Yes, I think it was an important moment which needed to happen in football overall, it happened at VP, and in its own way it helped cure the Collingwood Football club of something that needed curing. It was brave and defiant ........ I would be happy to see it.

Quite so. I always thought Collingwood has made a meaningful contribution to the race debate in AFL / VFL although not necessarily in ways I would have preferred.

With respect to Winmar I always thought it ironic that (I'm led to believe) his actual words were "It takes guts" when lifting his jumper & pointing to his stomach in brave defiance to the racist abuse he was copping.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:50 pm

thompsoc wrote:
I knew instinctively then that the age of sledging whether from the crowd or players was over.
Yes, we can't have racist comments but it has gone onto anything that can offend.
We now have crowds that do not yell, do not get excited and the involvement from the crowd is minimal.
Because, as I said before, the game of kicking an inflated ball between 2 sticks has no intellectual or noble aspect about it.

ONLY three things should be off limits, racism, gay comments, and sledges about mental illness, which can happen to any footballer or one of us. Other than that, I think most crowd comments and banter should be allowed.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:54 pm

It's a pity Winmar wasn't even referencing the colour of his skin when he lifted his jumper.

Of course that truth doesn't match the story many want to tell so it's been reconstructed along the way.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:40 pm

I took my 'wife to be' to that game, because coming from interstate she had no idea of what Collingwood meant to me, so I wanted her to see me in my 'natural habitat' amongst the Magpie Army at Vic Park, before we got married. Anyway, my recollection from sitting not far behind the cheersquad was that Winmar lifted his jumper up and pointed to his stomach as if to say 'guts'. However, it matters not, as we all know that Aboriginal players regularly copped racial abuse on and off the field, so I'm happy to recognise this incident as a pivotal moment in our society beginning to grow up. Walking home from that game that day, I was more depressed because Collingwood had not had a good history with Aboriginal players and I was jealous of teams like st kilda and Essendon who had enjoyed the thrill of having such wonderful and exciting players.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Nicky Winmar no way. He's already on a pedestal for that day. He might have done something meaningful for indigenous rights that day but let's just say I don't think as a person he's statue worthy.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:15 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

ONLY three things should be off limits, racism, gay comments, and sledges about mental illness, which can happen to any footballer or one of us. Other than that, I think most crowd comments and banter should be allowed.

You are a traditionalist Piesnchess.

I see you left plenty of sledging room for the very rich area of mothers, wives and girlfriends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9   

Jump to: