Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nicky Winmar. Vic Park.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nicky Winmar in bronze at Vic Park. How do you feel about this?
I'd like to see that.
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Yes, but not at Vic Park.
45%
 45%  [ 40 ]
I don't like the idea.
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
I'm undecided.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 87

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
Yes, I think it was an important moment which needed to happen in football overall, it happened at VP, and in its own way it helped cure the Collingwood Football club of something that needed curing. It was brave and defiant and free of the self-serving behaviour of others who have paraded on this topic. I would be happy to see it.

Good on ya mate, couldn't have said it better myself.

We don't have to be slaves to history, we can be the change we want to see

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Redlight 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I took my 'wife to be' to that game, because coming from interstate she had no idea of what Collingwood meant to me, so I wanted her to see me in my 'natural habitat' amongst the Magpie Army at Vic Park, before we got married. Anyway, my recollection from sitting not far behind the cheersquad was that Winmar lifted his jumper up and pointed to his stomach as if to say 'guts'. However, it matters not, as we all know that Aboriginal players regularly copped racial abuse on and off the field, so I'm happy to recognise this incident as a pivotal moment in our society beginning to grow up. Walking home from that game that day, I was more depressed because Collingwood had not had a good history with Aboriginal players and I was jealous of teams like st kilda and Essendon who had enjoyed the thrill of having such wonderful and exciting players.

I was also there that day and the 'guts/heart' interpretation was mine also. Doesn't really matter now, it's come to represent something else altogether.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Redlight wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I took my 'wife to be' to that game, because coming from interstate she had no idea of what Collingwood meant to me, so I wanted her to see me in my 'natural habitat' amongst the Magpie Army at Vic Park, before we got married. Anyway, my recollection from sitting not far behind the cheersquad was that Winmar lifted his jumper up and pointed to his stomach as if to say 'guts'. However, it matters not, as we all know that Aboriginal players regularly copped racial abuse on and off the field, so I'm happy to recognise this incident as a pivotal moment in our society beginning to grow up. Walking home from that game that day, I was more depressed because Collingwood had not had a good history with Aboriginal players and I was jealous of teams like st kilda and Essendon who had enjoyed the thrill of having such wonderful and exciting players.

I was also there that day and the 'guts/heart' interpretation was mine also. Doesn't really matter now, it's come to represent something else altogether.

That's the case with many different situations. Repeat a falsehood often enough and many people will accept it as fact.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:07 pm

I tell you one thing. I'd love the truth.

When this story is spoken of, we are all tarred with the same brush.

I've heard media reports that suggest the entire crowd was booing him and directing their comments towards he and to Gilbert McAdam too.

But it seems that many others, including plenty of people who claim to have been at the game, suggest that this is not the truth.

So, was there one or two (or a small group) of supporters who said something racial towards these players? Or was the majority of the crowd getting stuck into him?

I guess it does not really matter as if he was standing up to racial attacks, then it doesn't really make a difference if it were 3 people or 3000 people. The point is he stood up against it.

But if that photo was not taken, would there be any memory of this match?

And was he showing the colour of his skin? Or was he responding to being called gutless?

There's conflicting (over exaggerating?) stories out there.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:10 pm

^

But if he was standing up to racism. Then yes, put it up.

It's become an iconic image and it's a step for us in the right direction. And if it goes up, the club needs to be a part of it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Redlight wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

That's the case with many different situations. Repeat a falsehood often enough and many people will accept it as fact.

It is substantially remembered thus because of Allen McAllister's unfortunate comment after the game : "it doesn't matter the colour of your skin, if you behave like a white man, you'll be respected". So whatever Winmar's intentions and meaning in that moment, the incident as a whole is about the treatment of race, and respect for indigenous players in football.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:45 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I took my 'wife to be' to that game, because coming from interstate she had no idea of what Collingwood meant to me, so I wanted her to see me in my 'natural habitat' amongst the Magpie Army at Vic Park, before we got married.

Jeez, and she still married you ?!?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Mugwump wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I took my 'wife to be' to that game, because coming from interstate she had no idea of what Collingwood meant to me, so I wanted her to see me in my 'natural habitat' amongst the Magpie Army at Vic Park, before we got married.

Jeez, and she still married you ?!?

The marriage was doomed from the start. Evil or Very Mad
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 pm

If this decision is up to the City of Yarra it will happen.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Presti35 wrote:

I've heard media reports that suggest the entire crowd was booing him and directing their comments towards he and to Gilbert McAdam too.

But it seems that many others, including plenty of people who claim to have been at the game, suggest that this is not the truth.

So, was there one or two (or a small group) of supporters who said something racial towards these players? Or was the majority of the crowd getting stuck into him?

I guess it does not really matter as if he was standing up to racial attacks, then it doesn't really make a difference if it were 3 people or 3000 people. The point is he stood up against it.

And was he showing the colour of his skin? Or was he responding to being called gutless?

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend"

Quote from an old movie, The man who shot Liberty Vallance.

The truth of what happened on that day no longer matters, the legend has become the fact and, truth be told, has become a positive.

I don't really care either way about a statue, it will happen or it won't, it will be where it is.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 pm

I wonder if a soom after to be cleared Saints player can umveil it as tribute to team mateship ala Wayne Carey.

If it was up to City of Yarra it would be on the ground so the players would have to go around it.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:26 pm

ronrat wrote:
I wonder if a soom after to be cleared Saints player can umveil it as tribute to team mateship ala Wayne Carey.

If it was up to City of Yarra it would be on the ground so the players would have to go around it.

Yep correct. They hate footy and they hate CFC.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend"

Quote from an old movie, The man who shot Liberty Vallance.

The truth of what happened on that day no longer matters, the legend has become the fact and, truth be told, has become a positive.

I don't really care either way about a statue, it will happen or it won't, it will be where it is.

100% agree with you Stui.
Jamesy 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:56 pm

The Winmar statue at Vic Park would be dumb, absolutely stupid. I heard Nicky on the radio just before the indigenous round, and you could tell he didn't want it too. Put the statue in Moorabbin for goodness sake!

He was a grouse player, Nicky, great player. Could kick a goal, and loved a speccy. Nothing but respect.

Go the Pies!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Why not put one at the MCG, prior to next years indigenous round, next to the one of Jock McHale, that is long, long overdue there.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: