Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nicky Winmar. Vic Park.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nicky Winmar in bronze at Vic Park. How do you feel about this?
I'd like to see that.
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Yes, but not at Vic Park.
45%
 45%  [ 40 ]
I don't like the idea.
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
I'm undecided.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 87

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after 125 years, the only statue at Victoria Park will be of a f*&ing St Kilda player?

The depth of disgust I feel about that is not captured by any of the poll choices.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 am

Mugwump wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Redlight wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I took my 'wife to be' to that game, because coming from interstate she had no idea of what Collingwood meant to me, so I wanted her to see me in my 'natural habitat' amongst the Magpie Army at Vic Park, before we got married. Anyway, my recollection from sitting not far behind the cheersquad was that Winmar lifted his jumper up and pointed to his stomach as if to say 'guts'. However, it matters not, as we all know that Aboriginal players regularly copped racial abuse on and off the field, so I'm happy to recognise this incident as a pivotal moment in our society beginning to grow up. Walking home from that game that day, I was more depressed because Collingwood had not had a good history with Aboriginal players and I was jealous of teams like st kilda and Essendon who had enjoyed the thrill of having such wonderful and exciting players.

I was also there that day and the 'guts/heart' interpretation was mine also. Doesn't really matter now, it's come to represent something else altogether.

That's the case with many different situations. Repeat a falsehood often enough and many people will accept it as fact.

It is substantially remembered thus because of Allen McAllister's unfortunate comment after the game : "it doesn't matter the colour of your skin, if you behave like a white man, you'll be respected". So whatever Winmar's intentions and meaning in that moment, the incident as a whole is about the treatment of race, and respect for indigenous players in football.

It was a long time ago but are you sure that McAllister's comments related to that game or were they at another time and in relation to something else? I remember him making the comments but I didn't think that they related to the Winmar game.

PS. I just did some research. The McAllister comments were made a week after the game, but in relation to the Winmar incident.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:42 am

It does not belong at Vic Park. Next thing someone will propose is a statue of Jezza's mark.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:08 am

Next, they'll be proposing a statue of Don Discher for trying singlehandedly to punch out every member of the Collingwood team in 1979.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:49 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Next, they'll be proposing a statue of Don Discher for trying singlehandedly to punch out every member of the Collingwood team in 1979.

I was at that game too! He belted Peter Moore at a boundary throw in right in front of us.

If that was in '79 it must have been the day Daicos debuted as well - the 178 point win.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 am

Outside the MCG is the place for it. It's a defining moment in the history of the game (whatever the alternate interpretations of what he said and why) and the MCG is where the game as a whole is celebrated. In that context, a statue of Winmar would be a great idea.

I understand the idea of putting it at Victoria Park as that's where it happened, but that ground is a sacred spot for Collingwood supporters, and Collingwood's only role that day (and after, with McAllister) was as the antagonist. Only people who don't care about football or hate Collingwood wouldn't see the problem with that. I'm all for a statue of Winmar, but put it at the MCG.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:08 am

The man himself wants it at Moorabbin, which would also be an excellent alternative. Hopefully reason will prevail...

http://www.3aw.com.au/podcast/nicky-winmar-responds-to-calls-for-a-statue-of-that-iconic-image/

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:52 am

These Marxist ideas are starting to creep their way into sports now and I think it's getting somewhat ridiculous that in the name of complete egalitarianism that we'd consider putting our club second to social justice. Can anybody else comprehend just how self-loathing an idea this is to erect the statue at OUR home ground. It's so stupid that it's almost parody! Don't get me started about the psychopathology behind a proud club putting another player/club ahead of themselves at their venue.

For the record, I am in favour of the statue being put elsewhere. If common sense were more common it would be at Moorabbin. Why are we always implicitly being asked to place the AFL ahead of our respective teams. Pretty soon, all teams will be blended into one homogenous group and we'll be all barracking for the AFL.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 am

SwansWay wrote:
These Marxist ideas are starting to creep their way into sports now and I think it's getting somewhat ridiculous that in the name of complete egalitarianism that we'd consider putting our club second to social justice. Can anybody else comprehend just how self-loathing an idea this is to erect the statue at OUR home ground. It's so stupid that it's almost parody! Don't get me started about the psychopathology behind a proud club putting another player/club ahead of themselves at their venue.

For the record, I am in favour of the statue being put elsewhere. If common sense were more common it would be at Moorabbin. Why are we always implicitly being asked to place the AFL ahead of our respective teams. Pretty soon, all teams will be blended into one homogenous group and we'll be all barracking for the AFL.

Agree.
It isn't marxist though.
Marx and Engels never wanted social justice in this way.
it is more the political correct mob that is embraced by the Greens that is the issue.
And yes guys I don't recycle!!!!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm

thompsoc wrote:
SwansWay wrote:

Agree.
It isn't marxist though.

Surely he or she meant Marx brothers Thompsoc, what else would inspire such a hilarious comment?

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:59 pm

watt price tully wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
SwansWay wrote:

Agree.
It isn't marxist though.

Surely he or she meant Marx brothers Thompsoc, what else would inspire such a hilarious comment?

It is not in der book!

marx.jpg

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:25 pm

As First Nation sports involved people I group him
with Anthony Mundine and Adam Goode

Doing well for themselves in a predominatly white nation then biting the society,s hand that feeds them

Notice i did not say sportman co s that conjurs up some thing fair and good

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Obviously you know something about the man himself like I do Baz
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:41 pm

thompsoc wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
SwansWay wrote:

Agree.
It isn't marxist though.

It is not in der book!

My brother knows Karl Marx!
He met him eating mushrooms in the public park
He said: "What do you think of my manifesto?"
"I like your manifesto, put it to the testo"
Took me down to meet the anarchist party
Met a groovy guy, he was arty farty
He said, "I know a little Latin: anicus anicae"
Said, "I don't know what it means,"
He said, "Neither do I"..........

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:53 pm

BazBoy wrote:
As First Nation sports involved people I group him
with Anthony Mundine and Adam Goode

Doing well for themselves in a predominatly white nation then biting the society,s hand that feeds them

Notice i did not say sportman co s that conjurs up some thing fair and good

Here we go Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Relevance of your post to this thread?
Are you Allan McCallister? 🙄
I would rate your post as belonging to a sad bygone era.
Bite the hand that feeds them indeed.

My garden needs some fertiliser so thank-you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9   

Jump to: