Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nicky Winmar. Vic Park.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nicky Winmar in bronze at Vic Park. How do you feel about this?
I'd like to see that.
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Yes, but not at Vic Park.
45%
 45%  [ 40 ]
I don't like the idea.
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
I'm undecided.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 87

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
If they'd like to speak with Monkhurst about putting it outside his house, that's fine with me.

ted Bullpit and neville?

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It wasn't a significant moment in anything and I'm saddened (actually "appalled" is closer to the mark) to read that anyone interested in the history of the Club would put their support behind this.

We look after the history of Victoria Park.
We are currently researching the history of the area pre-1838 as the site may be a significant Wurundjeri burial ground. It certainly was a significant corroboree site.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 pm

It was a burial site for opposition teams for 100 odd years too. Not criticising, just sayin' Smile
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 am

Presti35 wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Maybe the AFL are concerned that if they get involved with the statue women's groups might kick up a fuss?

Then the AFL would find itself in the unenviable position of being caught between two causes : first peoples and women.

Wisest to leave this one alone.

What happened there?

I looked it up – he was convicted and fined for a relatively minor, one-off instance of domestic violence. Frankly, that post seems like a pretty insidious attempt to smear Winmar's reputation.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:53 am

David wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Maybe the AFL are concerned that if they get involved with the statue women's groups might kick up a fuss?

Then the AFL would find itself in the unenviable position of being caught between two causes : first peoples and women.

What happened there?

I looked it up – he was convicted and fined for a relatively minor, one-off instance of domestic violence. Frankly, that post seems like a pretty insidious attempt to smear Winmar's reputation.

Yeah, and she was probably asking for it. Right?

p.s. change your avatar, Morrissey's come to the dark side.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:08 am

Great! Now to add to your smear of Winmar by darkly alluding to him as the sort of person "women's groups might have an issue with" – which honestly brings up all kinds of possible connotations – you're smearing me as a victim-blamer. Who's next?

Feel free to bring up Winmar's personal life in relation to this statue discussion – God knows our society is long past being able to recognise someone for their sporting achievements without first checking that they're a sufficiently Good Bloke off the field – but do so with a link and a quote, not a cryptic recommendation to google someone's supposedly sordid past.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 am

Quote:
you're smearing me as a victim-blamer

I don't know you so what am I to assume?
You chose not to disavow the incident.
Instead, you intentionally downplayed the assault as a "relatively minor, one-off instance of domestic violence".
To me, it not a huge leap from this to "the bitch had it coming".

As for you calling the assault "minor".
Who are you to decide whether it was minor?
Perhaps the woman involved did not consider the assault minor at all?
Perhaps, at the time, she considered it pretty bloody major.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Kosh wrote:
Remembering the Great Fatui Ataata - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXfWKbbqXtI

Wowee! That's quite the highlight reel for one game, looks like he coulda been anything!

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:36 pm

David wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:

What happened there?

Pretty standard Nicks fare then?

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Look if there is some kind of domestic issue, then yes, that needs to be addressed too.

Domestic violence, like racism, is something we need to defeat as a society. Sadly, these things happen and quite often they go unreported.

It does put a negative impact on his image in my view. But I don't know the full story here.

Quote:
Convicted Winmar's jail threat
From AAP - 05 Oct 2000

3.25pm (AEDT) FORMER AFL football star Nicky Winmar, convicted and fined today for hitting his ex-wife, has been threatened with jail if he reappears in court on assault charges.

Winmar, 34, of Warburton, Victoria, was fined $3,000 for hitting his former wife on Christmas Day last year.

Melbourne Magistrates Court was told that Winmar had a distinguished career as a footballer playing for St Kilda and later the Western Bulldogs, before moving to play country football for Warburton.

He was acutely embarrassed and ashamed to be before court over what was his second assault offence, his lawyer told the court.

Senior Constable John Campbell, prosecuting, said Winmar had been invited to his ex-wife's home to celebrate Christmas with his children last year.

He was speaking to his wife about their situation but ended up fighting with her male friend as he went to leave. The three had been drinking goon.

As his ex-wife attempted to break up the fight, Winmar hit her on the jaw with his arm, sending her flying over a couch, leaving her with bruises.

Jonathan Kemp, defending, said Winmar had spent time in Darwin helping young footballers and promoting indigenous education, and had dedicated a great deal of energy to the community.

"He's acutely embarrassed and ashamed. It flies in the face of the role model he tries to be, not only for his own children but for other children as well," Mr Kemp said.

He said Mr Winmar was heartbroken at not having seen his children for the past eight months.

He had inspired Warburton Football Club, with whom he had been playing for the past year, to improve its performance and win a grand final.

The court heard Winmar had been involved in another assault incident following a drinking session with a neighbour on a Melbourne Cup day.

Magistrate Joseph Beder said that while physical violence might be tolerated on the football field it would not be tolerated in the community.

He warned Winmar that if he used violence again in the community he would face a jail sentence.

Winmar pleaded guilty to unlawful assault and breaching an intervention order today. Mr Beder convicted and fined him $3,000.

Winmar signed autographs after his appearance but made no comment as he left the court.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Kosh wrote:
Remembering the Great Fatui Ataata - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXfWKbbqXtI

Wowee! That's quite the highlight reel for one game, looks like he coulda been anything!

Fatui Attata to Danny Seow......That was great.

Big, fast boy. Send some scouts to Tonga ASAP.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:02 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Instead, you intentionally downplayed the assault as a "relatively minor, one-off instance of domestic violence".

It does not matter what the woman involved thought of it. If law and morality are to be any use at all, they cannot be the property of victims.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:06 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

I'm not trying to minimise it, but forearm contact to the head during an all-in fracas certainly does seem to me to be on the minor end of the (sometimes quite hair-raising) spectrum of domestic violence in terms of intent and impact – a spectrum that, as I'm sure you know, can include years of violence, escalating acts of violent intimidation, serious injuries or even death. The penalty, for what it's worth, reflected that. Whether you agree or not with my conclusion on that, that has nothing to do with claiming that the victim had it coming. Anyway, Presti's done the right thing and posted the link, so we can discuss this (if we need to) based on the facts, not on vague speculation.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 pm

I would certainly disagree that a forearm to the head can't do a lot of damage, and although it didn't appear to do so in this case, surely that was just a matter of chance?

A blow like that can, and has, easily break jaws and result in head trauma, both from the blow and hitting the floor

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I was on the Rush Stand half forward flank, Yarra Falls end, when that occurred. It didn't make any impact on us at the time as no-one around us even knew that it had occurred until well after the game.

When I did hear about it my thought was that there were no racist comments from my part of the crowd.

Agree with this, didn't realise this was a race thing until many years after the game. Remember the picture made the front or back page of the papers but it was all about him pointing to a broken/bruised rib that he was playing with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: