Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Pie side in the last 50 years?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:28 pm
Post subject: Best Pie side in the last 50 years?Reply with quote

Interesting argument over on the Goodwin thread.
One part was which Collingwood side was the best in 50 odd years?
KM said 2010 to 2011.
Mooretreloar said rubbish.
So lets look at the evidence.
You would reasonably expect an appearence in the GF to be a defining point.
Probably would want to look at a 2 or 3 year period.
So we have the 1963 to 1965 side.
The 1969 to 1971 side
The 1979 to 1981 side
The 1989 to 1991 side
The 2001 to 2003 side
The 2009 to 2011 side.
I saw every side and to me the 2009 to 2011 side stood out followed by the 1969 to 1971 side as the best.

Last edited by thompsoc on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Who else would expect an appearence in the GF to be a defining point ?
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Well you know where I stand. Consistent as always. 7 years ago was pure bliss. To all the partiers, scallywags and just outright winners in that playing list, coaching and fitness staff I will always acknowledge your greatness. I recall Dermie even said that the 2010/11 side at its peak were like nothing he had seen before. Just completely dismantling teams at will
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 pm

The problem with exercises like this is that players don't all peak at the same time, so there really isn't one GF side in the last 50 years that stands out against all the others.

For instance take the 2010 GF side. Beams and Cloke weren't at their best. Leon Davis wasn't great as a small forward, but was outstanding as a small defender the following year.

Our 1990 GF side was lacking tall forwards. Manson was an average player and so much depended on Dacois to kick the goals. Our 1990 side probably had the best defence of all our GF teams.

Our 2002 GF side had our best forwards setup with Tarrant, A. Rocca and Didak, but only Rocca was at his peak. Of all our GF teams our 2002 team had the weakest mids, with only Buckley outstanding and Burns playing more as a defensive mid.

Our 1970 GF side had Thompson forced to play CHF because Jenkins was playing in the ruck. Colin Tully, who should have retired because of his loss of pace, was played in the back pocket for his long kicking, but was poor defensively.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:17 pm

I think the side from late 2010 to mid 2012 was probably the best I have seen, including 1970 .... BUT I think it was starting to dip by the end of 2011 because it had been in a sweet spot with Jolly and Ball and Thomas and Leigh Brown and Davis, and they all hit the wall toward the end of 2011 and 2012. We had nothing coming on behind them because we had been "up" since 2007 and had no draft quality maturing. A look at the late 2012 sides shows names Ugle, Young, Sinclair, Wood Rounds and Blair as the next generation. Of these, I suspect only Sinclair might have been high grade talent if injury had permitted.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:59 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
The problem with exercises like this is that players don't all peak at the same time, so there really isn't one GF side in the last 50 years that stands out against all the others.

For instance take the 2010 GF side. Beams and Cloke weren't at their best. Leon Davis wasn't great as a small forward, but was outstanding as a small defender the following year.

Our 1990 GF side was lacking tall forwards. Manson was an average player and so much depended on Dacois to kick the goals. Our 1990 side probably had the best defence of all our GF teams.

Our 2002 GF side had our best forwards setup with Tarrant, A. Rocca and Didak, but only Rocca was at his peak. Of all our GF teams our 2002 team had the weakest mids, with only Buckley outstanding and Burns playing more as a defensive mid.

Our 1970 GF side had Thompson forced to play CHF because Jenkins was playing in the ruck. Colin Tully, who should have retired because of his loss of pace, was played in the back pocket for his long kicking, but was poor defensively.
I can't for the life of me remember why Brian McKenzie wasn't in the back pocket that day. Was he injured?
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:37 am

09-11 is easily the best side Collingwood has ever had.

We could have come out of that era with more than one flag, but I'll just be thankful we got one.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am

Presti35 wrote:

We could have come out of that era with more than one flag, but I'll just be thankful we got one.

I recall the renowned StKilda supporter Mark Fine on his SEN radio program just before GF1 in 2010. He light heartedly begged Collingwood to let StKilda win as he believed we were about to dominate and win multiple flags.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 am

Presti35 wrote:

I'll take our current midfield of Grundy, Pendlebury, Treloar, Wells, Adams, De Goey and Sidebottom over any midfield you can name between 09 and 11.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:11 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

I recall the renowned StKilda supporter Mark Fine on his SEN radio program just before GF1 in 2010. He light heartedly begged Collingwood to let StKilda win as he believed we were about to dominate and win multiple flags.

Just because you think something doesn't make it come true. History tells you whether it is true or not.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Just because you think something doesn't make it come true. History tells you whether it is true or not.

Thank you. That was very perceptive.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 am

Presti35 wrote:

I'll take our current midfield of Grundy, Pendlebury, Treloar, Wells, Adams, De Goey and Sidebottom over any midfield you can name between 09 and 11.

Really ? Swan and Dale Thomas and Beams at their 2011 peak are stronger than the other names (all Pendleburys being equal).

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Really ? Swan and Dale Thomas and Beams at their 2011 peak are stronger than the other names (all Pendleburys being equal).

Jolly, Ball, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, Johnson, Wellingham, Beams and Sidebottom for me. A midfeild that knew their roles, did their job, sacrificed for each other and had killer instinct. Followed closely by Monkey, Shaw, Francis, Russell, Mcguane, Millane, Wright, Richardson, Turner.

Both teams had excellent ruckmen (and back ups Manson and Brown) which is why 02/03 midfield is not fighting it out for no.2 spot.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Jolly, Ball, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, Johnson, Wellingham, Beams and Sidebottom for me. A midfeild that knew their roles, did their job, sacrificed for each other and had killer instinct. Followed closely by Monkey, Shaw, Francis, Russell, Mcguane, Millane, Wright, Richardson, Turner.

Both teams had excellent ruckmen (and back ups Manson and Brown) which is why 02/03 midfield is not fighting it out for no.2 spot.

I'd have Crisp and Greenwood ahead of Wellingham and Johnson and I can't even fit Crisp and Greenwood into my top six.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 pm

I'd have Crisp and Greenwood ahead of Wellingham and Johnson and I can't even fit Crisp and Greenwood into my top six.

Nah, Johnson despite playing ugly he was well worth his weight, I'd have him over either the above. Imo a lot of people here are quite bias against Wellingham because he obviously didn't agree with the direction the club was taking and went home. During 09-11, his form was strong and easily above Crisp or Greenwood, he also had pace and popped up for goals, important ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: