Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Pie side in the last 50 years?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I'd have Crisp and Greenwood ahead of Wellingham and Johnson and I can't even fit Crisp and Greenwood into my top six.

Nah, Johnson despite playing ugly he was well worth his weight, I'd have him over either the above. Imo a lot of people here are quite bias against Wellingham because he obviously didn't agree with the direction the club was taking and went home. During 09-11, his form was strong and easily above Crisp or Greenwood, he also had pace and popped up for goals, important ones.

The first time that I can recall the metres gained stat being used, Ben Johnson was leading the competition.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 pm

I'd have Crisp and Greenwood ahead of Wellingham and Johnson and I can't even fit Crisp and Greenwood into my top six.

Nah, Johnson despite playing ugly he was well worth his weight, I'd have him over either the above. Imo a lot of people here are quite bias against Wellingham because he obviously didn't agree with the direction the club was taking and went home. During 09-11, his form was strong and easily above Crisp or Greenwood, he also had pace and popped up for goals, important ones.

Agree

jatsad 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
09-11 is easily the best side Collingwood has ever had.

We could have come out of that era with more than one flag, but I'll just be thankful we got one.

I'll take our current midfield of Grundy, Pendlebury, Treloar, Wells, Adams, De Goey and Sidebottom over any midfield you can name between 09 and 11.

Really ? Swan and Dale Thomas and Beams at their 2011 peak are stronger than the other names (all Pendleburys being equal).

Jolly, Ball, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, Johnson, Wellingham, Beams and Sidebottom for me. A midfeild that knew their roles, did their job, sacrificed for each other and had killer instinct. Followed closely by Monkey, Shaw, Francis, Russell, Mcguane, Millane, Wright, Richardson, Turner.

Both teams had excellent ruckmen (and back ups Manson and Brown) which is why 02/03 midfield is not fighting it out for no.2 spot.

Are you kidding? I'd have Johnson on his own ahead of Crisp and Greenwood together.
Wellingham is just mayo.

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 am

thompsoc wrote:

Agree

Yep, and didn't Wellingham tag judd a few times. Pretty sure he absolutely dominated him once too.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:55 am

We need Johnson now as mentor. To about 8 players. To teach them about perserverance, limitations, spatial awareness, mateship, love for the club and cunning. Greenwood and Crisp wouldn't blow smoke up his arse.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 am

Presti35 wrote:
09-11 is easily the best side Collingwood has ever had.

We could have come out of that era with more than one flag, but I'll just be thankful we got one.

Yep, same here. Always grateful for winning the flag in 2010, but I do feel we deserved to go back-to-back in 2011. Pity Geelong stepped it up in 2011 after regressing in 2010.

I think the team from round 9 2009 to round 14 2012 was the best side I had seen. In that timeframe, we played 81 matches as we won 66 matches, drew in 2 games and only lost 13 matches in total. We had a winning record of over 80% in that time.

I also loved the 2002/2003 side for it's excellent work ethic despite not being the best side in the competition on paper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: