Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lose to Power - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
bally12 wrote:
Buckley doesn't get it. The sum of the Collingwood football club...whatever this club has been, is, and will be, is represented by the amazing Collingwood supporter base.

This club was borne out of adversity. It has endured against hardships, against systems, governance, adjudication that is clearly stacked against it. The "us against them" ethos is real. The working class supporter base that was responsible for starting this club, continued to support it and lifted it to the biggest and proudest club in the land. A mythical club even. It is not like other clubs. It succeeded when it shouldn't have. And it did so not because of playing meek, scared, backwards, tactical, zone-off football. It did so because it had the guts to take the game on, and play bold and brave football, even if it wasn't blessed with as much talent as the opposition. It's the reason that fans loved Darren Millane so much. In him they saw everything the club stood for. I'm certain anyone that saw Lou Richards, Bob Rose, and Jock McHale play and coach would say the same thing.

Buckley's game style is bringing this great club to its knees. I'm sorry Bucks, you are a nice guy, but you have misread what this club is all about. You should have got the message in the Hawthorn game when the supporters started booing the backwards play. That message was profound, and you should have heeded it.
There's more at stake now than wins and losses. What's at stake is the identity of this great club. It's the reason you must step aside, and let this club find itself again.

Sorry bally12, I often like your posts, but I can't allow such criticism of Bucks to go unchallenged. Buckley's so-called hopeless coaching and horrid game-plan kept us in the game all day, despite missing Grundy, Pendles, Varcoe, Greenwood, Wells and incurring injuries to De Goey, Hoskin-Elliott and Goldsack early in the game. It was a frigging miracle we weren't smashed by 15 goals. Buckley is coaching us magnificently at present, but the truth is we simply do not have the personnel available at present to win games against top sides. None of us like to lose games, but it's important to examine the reasons for the losses, beyond just blaming the coach all the time. Sometimes a shit coach can win games, even Premierships, while a good or great coach can struggle to win much at all, because of the talent at their disposal.

Rudeboy, I'm not concerned we didn't win, and I know we have a lot of players out, and many not up to the mark. I'm talking about our game-style, the one we've rolled out for most of the year.

Did you watch that 1st half? Are you happy with that slow, insipid, boring, backwards play? Chipping the ball around the back half. Stop-start, taking uncontested marks. No cohesion. Going nowhere. Just waiting for the opposition to pounce on a turnover and go at us like a bull at a gate? We are the highest-possession team in the AFL. We are horrid to watch. Do you feel that this game-style does the Collingwood name justice? I'd rather lose by more than play this style.
I was a Buckley supporter for a long time. I wanted him to succeed. The Bucks fairytale that we wanted just isn't to be. It's not to diminish Buckley's name. It's just how it is.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:08 am

I dislike that slow hesitant style as much as anyone, but I think it's a consequence of our team's make-up. We simply do not have much marking power on our forward line (or anywhere actually), which is why the players are hesitant to kick to a contest.

Maybe it's poor coaching as you suggest, but in my mind its simply caused by a lack of confidence in our aerial skills. Add a couple of quality KPPs to our team and I reckon the whole ball movement would improve out of sight. Then again, wtfwik?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 am

The game style in the first half was to limit the damage as Port would come out firing after being smashed last week. It was boring slow and keeping's off football. I agree with rudeboy that it came back to personnel. Going into the second half and 22 points down the game plan changed and opened up. We came back into it. Hinkley responded and experience and class won the game.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:30 am

Culprit wrote:
The game style in the first half was to limit the damage as Port would come out firing after being smashed last week. It was boring slow and keeping's off football. I agree with rudeboy that it came back to personnel. Going into the second half and 22 points down the game plan changed and opened up. We came back into it. Hinkley responded and experience and class won the game.

The tactics in the first half were good for 5-10 mins. The fact that we played like that for 60mins, without a change up, showed to me both a coach and coaching panel who have no clue what they are doing match day.
Sure take some of Port's run and rebound attack away from them but we needed to flick a switch and be prepared to go ourselves. This didn't happen until after the main break, by then it was all over. And FM our skill level is deplorable!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 am

The tactics in the first half were good for 5-10 mins. The fact that we played like that for 60mins, without a change up, showed to me both a coach and coaching panel who have no clue what they are doing match day.
Sure take some of Port's run and rebound attack away from them but we needed to flick a switch and be prepared to go ourselves. This didn't happen until after the main break, by then it was all over.

And FM our skill level is deplorable![/quote]I'm no fan of Buckley's coaching but I'm not going to have a crack at him considering who is out of the team, just from last week we lost Grundy, Greenwood and Wells. We bring in Cox who is basically a list clogger at AFL level so we basically played with a man down all game.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:24 am

Can we just stop the excuses for losing, for not making the finals, for not playing attractive football. For years now I have read a basket load of rubbish about where we are at. We have had a soft draw and a pretty good run on injuries. The thing that amazes me is that our so called passionate fans can't even be bothered posting on this board. This board is like a ghost town with a few diehards like those above trotting out their same messages week after week.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Damien wrote:
A meaningless game. Not gunna get all riled up about it. Some positives to take into next year. We never get blown away. We always fight it out. Good effort Pies.

Damo, again - if our season hadn't been over by June [as usual] would you still be advocating this result as a meaningless game?
If it had cost us eight spot, we'd be furious, yeah?
It's easy to dissect these sort of results when they ultimately have no influence on our competing in finals, as we hadn't won enough games earlier in the season.

But regardless, yes, I always demand we fight it out for four quarters, and that we did. As usual our biggest enemy wasn't the 22 players the opposition fielded, but our own inept game structure and disposal standard.
I'm really doubting any sentiment to retain Buckley [and others in the box] into 2018, as they really have no bag of magic beans to improve things going into next season, but that is an argument for another thread perhaps.

Good effort Pies? Well, under the circumstances - yes. Minus 5 regular senior players, all of whom are critical, then one couldn't possibly argue otherwise.

PyreneesPie wrote:
ronrat wrote:
I don't think Cox was that bad. The confusing umpiring (and that is kind) didn't help him and I thought he held his own. As the commentators said Ryder should be dominating but didn't..

Yeah, Ryder certainly didn't have it all his own way and that's to Mason's credit. I reckon he did pretty well, all things considered.

Lads, I might go as far as saying that was Cox's best game for the club, if not, then certainly his most important. Handed the task of curbing the athletically superior Ryder, I think he did rather well all things considered.

PyreneesPie wrote:
So, does anyone reckon that Ollie Wines will get cited for his head high hit on Langdon? Probably not, because a) Langdon is a Collingwood player and b) Tommy did not make a fuss of it.
The inconsistency of the MRP drives me mad.

I double dare them not to cite Wines for the snipe. Mods, get ready for a wobbly if this gets "accidently missed" by Kangaroo Court....

Now to the umpiring: fvcking pathetic.
Particularly when we were challenging into the last quarter.
With about 13 minutes on the clock, I think it was Reid tried to mark a ball in the square from the pocket, Phillips attempted the crumb and was tackled around THE LEGS, nowhere near his waist! And the shit eating umpire? Play-on, as the Pork Chowder surged down the other end for a two-goal turnaround. Oh, and dickhead Healy commentating: "Duh gee, that tackle by Hamish Hartlett was a match saver..." Would have been awesome; if we were playing NRL, you fvcktard. There is a reason you wear glasses, you flog. Un-fvcking-believable.
And then [what, another one?], minutes later, we pump the ball to Cox on the edge of the goal square, who has his arms chopped, by a backman already over his shoulders, two infringements totally ignored in one motion.
That's another gimme goal denied by the cheats, who were too terrified to dare pay a free in front of goal against the Porks at Hillbilly Mecca.
Even when Blair eventually got an obvious one high, it was blue murder, and the Mountain Dew addicts were about to dismantle the grandstands, and cart all the scrap metal off to keep the rusted out car shells company, on their over mortgaged properties...
Bunch of dead set brain dead fvcking morons over there; and when you lose your final, go kick some wheelie bins on the way out.

Now even if we did get those decisions our way, we still might have lost by a goal or two, as we simply don't have the match-ups to contain Boak, Wines, Wingard, the Greys, Neave and their arsenal of larger bodied mids.
Oh, and all those junk time goals we conceded each quarter, like clockwork.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Looks like I've under-rated the Future Captain's game in the votes tonight. I see almost everyone has him in their top 5.

Maybe I should have watched the game?

Agreed you should have watched it closer
Our future captain Taylor Adams has been nothing short of dynamic inspirational and oozing leadership since Pendles has been out. His form prior was patchy and at times ordinary but stepping up to fill the breach left by Pendles he has shown why he has for a long time been earmarked as the captain in waiting.
It's probably time to cut the co captaincy arrangement he's currently in with Sidey and just hand him the reigns by himself.
It's obvious to everyone watching that he's the leader the players gravitate towards in Pendles absence.
Adams has probably firmed to equal favourite with Pendles now for the Copeland with Trelaor a close 3rd.
Being injured looks likely to have cost Pendles a record equaling 6th Copeland but will likely hand either Adams or Trelaor their hard earned much deserved first Copeland.
It's a good sign they have both been very good in Pendles absence actually gives you some heart that when Pendles time comes around we have Adams Treloar Moore Grundy ready to take over the leadership of the club for the long term
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Another game that proved that the over structured defensive style of football that detracts from players innate skills and abilities as demonstrated in the first half will not will games and just results in poor performance and supporter frustration.

Despite the loss of key players, when we did take the game on we looked a very different side and gave ourselves a chance. If we had played that way for the whole game there was a lot more to be gained even if it resulted in a loss.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Them's the breaks, another season wasted.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Another game that proved that the over structured defensive style of football that detracts from players innate skills and abilities as demonstrated in the first half will not will games and just results in poor performance and supporter frustration.

Despite the loss of key players, when we did take the game on we looked a very different side and gave ourselves a chance. If we had played that way for the whole game there was a lot more to be gained even if it resulted in a loss.

I could not have put it more succinctly myself.When we played direct, straight ahead ,move forward footy, we made the power look almost second rate. Our usual run of turnovers and insipid disposal probably saved them in any case.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Looks like I've under-rated the Future Captain's game in the votes tonight. I see almost everyone has him in their top 5.

You are correct my old mate
12 posters gave Adams votes
11 gave Trelaor votes
10 gave Crisp votes
9 gave Reid votes
6 gave Scharenberg votes
6 gave Langdon votes

So again your powers of deduction are supreme
12 posters gave our future captain votes
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:45 pm

We played this game seemingly to protect the losing margin. I hated that first half of footy
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Why?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed you should have watched it closer
Our future captain Taylor Adams has been nothing short of dynamic inspirational and oozing leadership since Pendles has been out. His form prior was patchy and at times ordinary but stepping up to fill the breach left by Pendles he has shown why he has for a long time been earmarked as the captain in waiting.
It's probably time to cut the co captaincy arrangement he's currently in with Sidey and just hand him the reigns by himself.
It's obvious to everyone watching that he's the leader the players gravitate towards in Pendles absence.
Adams has probably firmed to equal favourite with Pendles now for the Copeland with Trelaor a close 3rd.
Being injured looks likely to have cost Pendles a record equaling 6th Copeland but will likely hand either Adams or Trelaor their hard earned much deserved first Copeland.
It's a good sign they have both been very good in Pendles absence actually gives you some heart that when Pendles time comes around we have Adams Treloar Moore Grundy ready to take over the leadership of the club for the long term

I gave Adams 5 votes for BOG - how many did you want me to give him? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: