Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why & under what circumstances did Balmey go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
Is this the nicksters site or the jokers site
Balmey won the game for them off his own back. B.O.G
Balmey😂😂😂

Clubs don't win premierships with a dysfunctional administration. Balmey added to the success of Richmond both on and off the field. He's come from successful clubs Geelong in partiuclar & has brought that with him.

Further, he was a premiership player, a premiership winning coach in SA and part of the machinations that assisted Geelong to premierships as well.

I wouldn't dismiss his contirbution to the club.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Clubs don't win premierships with a dysfunctional administration. Balmey added to the success of Richmond both on and off the field. He's come from successful clubs Geelong in partiuclar & has brought that with him.

Further, he was a premiership player, a premiership winning coach in SA and part of the machinations that assisted Geelong to premierships as well.

I wouldn't dismiss his contirbution to the club.

Also an AFL coach for 4 1/2 yrs, unsuccessful but operating in trying circumstances (e.g. merger debates). Might that actually be more valuable than being a premiership-winning coach in SA?

On the other hand, if Gubby Allan had done even a reasonable job at the club (such as, say, actually being in a job at the club), would there be such wistfulness about Balme's departure?

Last edited by K on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Losing Balmey the way we did was Eddie's greatest phuckup in all his years as President. I still like Ed as El Presidente, but this whole Allan fiasco was not his finest hour.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Losing Balmey the way we did was Eddie's greatest phuckup in all his years as President. I still like Ed as El Presidente, but this whole Allan fiasco was not his finest hour.

Mitigated by the return of Geoff Walsh to the club, but otherwise as you state, one giant stuff up. Wonder how Buckley really feels about the whole thing?
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 pm

/\
From http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/challenging-collingwood-president-eddie-mcguire-when-needed-will-be-the-challenge-for-magpie-board-20171010-gyy2jk.html :
Quote:

Balme was seen as too stable, too supportive of Buckley's vision and not "creative enough". But even Buckley didn't see Balme's demotion and ultimate departure coming, believing that it was list manager Derek Hine who could be forced out.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Great call by the Pies

Yep, sadly, the Parmas, chips and salads, and chiko rolls, at Tigerland were far more in size, than what we could offer him. Razz Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 am

RudeBoy wrote:

You can hardly blame Ed as much as he and Pert had to take the heat and Pert no doubt ultimately the fall.

Someone had it in for Collingwood. The due diligence was done and then straight after the appointment the investigation which the AFL had been sitting on, sees the light of day. Coincidence?

Still doesn't hide the fact that it was a stuff-up.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm

You would think that the loss of Balme was magnified by the inability of Gubby to take up his role due to his questionable activities when at GWS.

For the short period Gubby was involved he certainly created some waves and the hallmark decisions he made such as the recruiting of Mayne will have ongoing negative effects upon the club for years to come.

I do not know who proposed the appointment of Gubby or who approved it but in retrospect it was a very bad idea. The club has certainly been very arrogant in their handling of this and have closed ranks to protect those ultimately responsible.

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 pm

MCGuire approved the appointment of Allen and the dishonest shafting of Balme. It's time for his dinosaur mentality of jobs for the boys to be replaced by getting the right people for the right jobs. He has has done good thing for Collingwood in his 19 years of presidency, but in today's world he Is totally unprofessional and dragging the club back to the dark ages.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
MCGuire approved the appointment of Allen and the dishonest shafting of Balme. It's time for his dinosaur mentality of jobs for the boys to be replaced by getting the right people for the right jobs. He has done good thing for Collingwood in his 19 years of presidency, but in today's world he Is totally unprofessional and dragging the club back to the dark ages.

There may be reason for cautious optimism that hiring will be done more professionally from now on, if events surrounding the search for the new CEO are anything to go by. (See the "Simon Lethlean in the mix for Collingwood CEO" thread.)
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Agree K - there is definite optimism as MCGuire wanted to quickly parachute Allen back and appoint Lethlean without any due diligence. The influence of Peter Murphy has been a refreshing change of strategy, and he must have some clout as he has got his way on both of the above. My concern is that he is not permanent as CEO so we must find someone like Murphy that MCGuire can't manipulate into bringing in all his mates.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

You can hardly blame Ed as much as he and Pert had to take the heat and Pert no doubt ultimately the fall.

Someone had it in for Collingwood. The due diligence was done and then straight after the appointment the investigation which the AFL had been sitting on, sees the light of day. Coincidence?

Still doesn't hide the fact that it was a stuff-up.

I don't blame Ed or Pert for recruiting in Allan. However, the subterfuge about his role, which was very dishonest and disrespectful to Balme, was poor form and ultimately very damaging to our club. Once trust gets lost, it's very hard to resurrect it.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:04 pm
Post subject: Re: Why & under what circumstances did Balmey go?Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
I'm genuinely asking why and under what circumstnaces did we "lose" Neil Balme to firstly Geelong then to Richmond.

When Gubby joined the club at some point in 2016, it was clearly the catalyst for Balme's departure, so that is self-evident as other posters have noted.

In regards to his departure in 2006, I can't ascertain or remember why he left exactly but the excerpts from the article below may provide a clue. At the very least, it's evident that Balme and the club did not part on good terms the first time round either.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/11/11/neil-balme-abandons-geelong-pies/

Quote:
Balmes return comes eight years after he left Collingwood in strained circumstances.

The Magpies did not sack him in late 2006, but there was a strong sense that his time had come at the club.

One of the first questions for Balme at Mondays announcement in Geelong was how he felt about working again with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

It was put to Balme that eight years ago, he was sick of dealing with McGuire.

The shrewd media performer turned the loaded question back on the reporter, who briefly was stuck for words.

Why do you say that? What do you mean Im sick of working with Eddie?, Balme said.

I dont understand what that means.

Its a wonderful challenge working under Ed most of the things he does are outstanding.

When I first went to that club (in the late 90s), we were in debt and struggling and the worst team in the comp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: