Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#13 Sam Murray

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I'd like to know what Buckley doesn't see in Murray's game, that he didn't play Murray in JLT1 (and plays Smith in both games??). He looks ok to me.

Said in his presser he had some things (didn’t give specifics) to improve before they rewarded him with a selection. Also suggested they were wanting to look at Appleby vs Murray for Hawks small forwards.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I'd like to know what Buckley doesn't see in Murray's game, that he didn't play Murray in JLT1 (and plays Smith in both games??). He looks ok to me.

Jesus. Buckley just cant do anything right for some people. The slant on this post is quite ridiculous.

No doubt you were also n the camp who crucified Collingwood (and Buckley) for drafting Murray in the first place......

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 am

At this stage of the year player require game time so with Murray he is getting it

OK a VFL then AFL hit out and VFL got him noticed as previous scratch match and good training ethos

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:23 am

Played a solid game, not sure it's enough to warrant a debut for round one though. Not getting sucked in by the 'metres gained' stat either. Just a query on that stat, if you miss a target and create a turnover, does the resulting passage of play deduct meters? Conversely, what if you 'switch' or reverse play but your action is pivotal in setting up a forward entry or goal? Metres lost or gained? Confused
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:48 am

I just get the feeling that if Stephenson had played the game Murray played, then we would all be raving about the first round pick.
Not everyone has to come via the conventional pathways to be a good addition to the list.
He’s only twenty and yet to play an AFL game. Stephenson is 19 and yet to play a senior game. Not everyone develops at the same rate.
Personally, I think this guy will have a big influence on our fortunes ( maybe not from day one ). He is exactly what we need. A defender who wins his own ball and then runs and pumps it forward.

He is an opposition defenders nightmare because they don’t know where to set up against him. When Langdon, Howe and Sharenberg and similar types get the ball, the opposition know they don’t carry the ball, so they set up accordingly ( 60 metre wall downfield ) Murray will allow us to run onto more easier scores out the back because he has the tools to kick beyond the defenders wall.
Of course he will make mistakes, he hasn’t even played an AFL game yet but he has the weapons to really throw the opposition defenders out.

Who knows, maybe one day those same posters will be able to say that Hine got this one right. ....... Nah
SonofRowdy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Interesting insight Pies2016.... all the good sides have great hard running, attacking half back lines and Langdon, Howe, Sharenberg, Smith etc simply don't fit this profile.

Perhaps a 2019 combination of Murray, Moore & Quaynor (a player likened to the Harry O'Brien mould) better meets the demands of the modern game.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 pm

^^Pies2016 makes a good point, it's why Murray always seemed the right type for us to recruit (along with pace).

Harry used to be our only player to really aggressively run out of defence (why I always overlooked his errors). Heater to a degree, but more along the boundary and less effectively.

Now we have Maynard, and also Langdon (disagree that he doesn't run with the ball), but they're not top level line breakers (Maynard can be if you include his kicking). Murray looks as if he could be that.

The combination of run and kicking penetration is what we've lacked from defence. We successfully added Crisp to the mix last year for extra run and have now recruited the likes of Murray. Maynard's kicking and aggressiveness is also just what we need, not sure moving him to the midfield is a great idea if we don't have an adequate replacement (no, Adams doesn't count).

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 am

Played a magnificent game will be in round one for sure, good kick goes in hard knows how to get the ball....WOW so many will be eating a shite sanga! go sam murray.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 am

Events around our great clubman Goldy and possible time out thru injury will open the door for some one

Maybe Murray

E 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 am

joffa corfe wrote:
Played a magnificent game will be in round one for sure, good kick goes in hard knows how to get the ball....WOW so many will be eating a shite sanga! go sam murray.

now this i agree with.

Here are the things you will all grow to love about Sam Murray.

1. PACE
2. PACE
3. PACE
4. Will never take a backwards step, hard as nails, runs in straight lines.
5. seems to know when to leave his man to help a teammate. did it more than once in Moe.
6. PACE
7. PACE
8. Seems to know where the ball is going to be.

I think Sydney knew this kid was going to be good, but have an abundance of players in that position. We needed him, we were prepared to pay for him. We got him.

This is going to be like the Jamie Elliot deal, where many people thought (and some still to this day think) that he was the steak knives in the Marty Clark for pick 25 trade with GC.

A second round pick for this kid is going to look as good as

the trades that netted us Jeremy Howe, Rupert Wills and James Aish for Paul Seedman, Ben Kennedy, Nathan Freeman and a second round pick.

Or maybe the Lyndon Dunn for 4 spots in the draft (47 to 51).

Or WHE for a second rounder.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 am

E total agreement with the kids style of play -Run ,Run,Run straight at the ball or opponent ball carrier

There was a passage where Sam came hard at an opponent who had the ball to gather and Sam did not deviate one bit and hit him bloody hard which got
comment from media saying Bucks would be happy with that

I would have him I round one definitely

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:43 am

...and he looks to be very good in the air too.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Played a solid game, not sure it's enough to warrant a debut for round one though. Not getting sucked in by the 'metres gained' stat either. Just a query on that stat, if you miss a target and create a turnover, does the resulting passage of play deduct meters? Conversely, what if you 'switch' or reverse play but your action is pivotal in setting up a forward entry or goal? Metres lost or gained? Confused

had a niggle and was in the rehab group for a while pre-season.
Id suggest he wasn't in JLT1 due to where he was at physically.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 pm

dble
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 am

Talk of his kicking an issue—at least two goals came from his “deft” kick

The one where he gathered the ball and with a pinpoint kick transferred play to opposite flank

Cox just stood there and ball centermeter perfect into his hands

He picked out Cox who had no opponents close to him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: