Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why & under what circumstances did Balmey go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:52 am
Post subject: Why & under what circumstances did Balmey go?Reply with quote

I'm genuinely asking why and under what circumstnaces did we "lose" Neil Balme to firstly Geelong then to Richmond?

I'm not asking with a pre-determined agenda or a set up for a gotchya moment, but genuinely trying to recall the reasons why.

I can't recall why exactly & who did what to whom.

I think it was related to Gubby Allen coming to "us". I'm thinking it was a "captains pick" by Eddie or was it Gary Pert or both or none?

I simply can't recall the detail (I don't think I knew exactly at the time either).

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am
Post subject: Re: Why and under what circumstnaces did we "lose"Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
I'm genuinely asking why and under what circumstnaces did we "lose" Neil Balme to firstly Geelong then to Richmond?

I'm not asking with a pre-determined agenda or a set up for a gotchya moment, but genuinely trying to recall the reasons why.

I think it was related to Gubby Allen coming to "us". I'm thinking it was a "captains pick" by Eddie or was it Gary Pert or both or none?

I simply can't recall the detail (I don't think I knew exactly at the time either).

He has always wanted to go home. Simple as that. There are surrounding circumstances that enabled it to occur, but that is the reason. End of story.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:58 am
Post subject: Re: Why and under what circumstnaces did we "lose"Reply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

He has always wanted to go home. Simple as that. There are surrounding circumstances that enabled it to occur, but that is the reason. End of story.

I was always under the impression that he was pushed rather than jumped. I'm happy to be corrected.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:01 am

watt price tully wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I was always under the impression that he was pushed rather than jumped. I'm happy to be corrected.

The process to get him to Richmond commenced when he was at Geelong.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he was pushed out by the Gubby Allan recruitment by Eddie. Unfortunately another fail by Ed in recent years.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:14 pm
Post subject: Re: Why & under what circumstances did Balmey go?Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:

I was going to joke about the incident that preceded his first exit...but then I saw that you actually are asking about the first exit, too.

The first time, he was given his marching orders. From memory, Eddie blamed him for the Collingwood players' trip that went wrong. This was the one where a golf cart was part of the story. I don't know if this was the same trip on which an undetermined person apparently defecated off a balcony.

The second time, his job change with Gubby's arrival was seen by many as a demotion, but the club was confident he would accept. Then, the Richmond hierarchy had to do something to save themselves from an attempted coup.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-neil-balme-hiring-a-brilliant-move-by-struggling-richmond-tigers-20160916-gribff.html
Quote:

And yet from the moment in late August it emerged that the Magpies had demoted Balme a decade after the club had given him his marching orders the first time around, the romance and synergy linked with a move to the Tigers seemed tantalising. And the politics surrounding the Collingwood scenario intriguing.
Balme was not exactly blindsided by Collingwood's decision to appoint Graeme Allan into the role he had held for just two seasons but it must have been galling given the number of assurances the Magpies had given the football staff that Allan was at the club to run women's football and netball.

Most senior Collingwood staff were acutely aware of president Eddie McGuire's deep affection and admiration for Allan. But Balme supporters were disappointed that McGuire did not take the trouble to discuss his decision personally with the man he had lured back from Geelong less than two years earlier, nor in fact contact Balme for more than a week after the news came out.

However, the prevailing view is that Balme still considered remaining at Collingwood in what was a well-remunerated position and because the director of coaching job held some appeal due to his close relationship with Nathan Buckley.

Buckley last weekend, though, seemed confident that Balme would remain at the club. That was the view of several Magpie colleagues even though Richmond had by then begun seriously considering Balme for its own under-performing football department.

But those close to Balme knew by then he had realised he could not continue at the Magpies. One final straw that led to his departure from the Holden Centre was the decision by Allan last week to cut two player development managers, Christian Stagliano and Adrian Persi. According to staffers Balme had rated both and had not been consulted. That his views were considered irrelevant brought home to Balme the reality of his situation.

He no longer wanted a part of the new-look football operation that the Magpies claim needed a shake-up, saying that the skills of the more dynamic Allan were required. The relationships expert Balme, they said, had done his job and now the club had its fourth football boss in just over three years.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Kim jong ed wanted grubby Allen back at the club and so he shafted blame in order to get him. It was a captains call much like Abbot giving prince Philip a knighthood. Turned out to bite us in the arse.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Oh I get it. Very interesting.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Great call by the Pies
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:10 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Great call by the Pies
Thanks for your support. Can we get back to business?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Ed really shat the bed with his decision to shoe horn Allan into the club at the expense of Balme who was asked to accept what was effectively a downgraded role.

Worked out great.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 pm

I love Kim Jong Ed. Great work to whoever thunk up that one. Pretty accurate too
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:42 pm

sitting with Neil and Carmen in a private lunch one hot Sunday by the pool
I asked him why he decided to come back. he said simply because Nathan
asked him too.
but as to why he left???????????

HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Do you mean you work at Neil and Carmen in a private lunch one hot Sunday by the pool he or she asked him why he decided to come back? . What is your chair like?
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Is this the nicksters site or the jokers site
Balmey won the game for them off his own back. B.O.G
Balmey😂😂😂
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: