Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Darcy Moore going to the backline in 2018?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 am
Post subject: Is Darcy Moore going to the backline in 2018?Reply with quote

I have been off line for a while and this may have been discussed, but I noted Schade's comments re his exit discussions with Bucks - indicating Bucks had stated Moore was heading to the backline next season and so Schade was excess to requirements. Not sure of accuracy - a parting comment to disrupt stability by any chance??
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s been some talk about it, more for the JLT maybe. If so does that mean Reid plays forward. I personally don’t see it happening. Too important as a forward IMO.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm

With Grundy/Cox rotating forward and assuming we get Tom Lynch end of next year there isn’t a spot in forward line for Darcy. His athleticism from backline could be a real advantage for us and he could always be swung forward if needed. I don’t think he will be long term CHB but could help in his continued development and take the pressure off him.

Many football commentators have been calling for this so I won’t be totally surprised if it does happen.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:16 pm

I assume Darcy is going to play off the backline in 2018 and I believe it is a good thing. Doesn't mean he won't be moved onto the forward line at some stage depending on tactics and any developing situation. I would bite the bullet and play Reid in the forward line and back him up with Cox changing with Grundy in the ruck and providing marking power in the forward line and having crumbing forwards in Daicos, Brown and Kirby at the fall of the feet of Reid, Cox and Grundy when the ball goes to ground.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm
Post subject: Re: Is Darcy Moore going to the backline in 2018?Reply with quote

ROB wrote:
I have been off line for a while and this may have been discussed, but I noted Schade's comments re his exit discussions with Bucks - indicating Bucks had stated Moore was heading to the backline next season and so Schade was excess to requirements. Not sure of accuracy - a parting comment to disrupt stability by any chance??

Previously discussed at http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83150, after Geoff Walsh's comments.
No chance whatsoever Schade's comments aimed to disrupt stability.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:42 pm

So he should go back as part of a preparedness to mix things up.
Better for the players, better for the side.
Darce not getting a look in some times? then throw him back and send Howe up there.
Perplexing to see the lack of the roll of the dice like this. Opposition must be happy seeing Darcy starved for supply or working his butt off for little return and at the same time Howe taking best ever marks on the half back line rather than up forward. Mix it up a bit please!

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

Hopefully McLarty & Moore can form a strong 10 year partnership down back.

That leaves Reid (Lynch 2019), some half fowards and crummers in attack (oh no, I did it again). Wink
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:44 pm

To pinch hit, I suppose. My guess is he'll play predominantly forward, there just aren't enough big marking options down there to take him out too often. A lot will probably depend on how Cox is going
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 am

Round 23 v Melbourne will be the template.

Schade made those comments himself. I am sure whoever broke the news to him would have used that as leverage to justify his contract not being renewed. Whether or not that's how it pans out will be another thing all together.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:14 pm

The problem with sending him back is that he was actually one of our better kicks at goal...
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/peter-moore-questions-pies-game-plan-and-says-nathan-buckley-needs-to-fix-issues/news-story/c7048c1dfcfef2d450d8243a25d4d077

Quote:

“One of the problems at Collingwood is the way they play. Their chosen game style is generally it’s a five-man forward line playing on seven defenders, so it’s very difficult for forwards to kick a lot of goals and to get a lot of opportunities,” Peter Moore told SEN.

“The other issue is their entries into the forward half were absolutely hopeless in the first half of last year. They’re working hard to improve that and try and get better delivery and also move the ball a bit quicker.

“When you add all that up, forward line is not the best spot you can be at Collingwood and Collingwood forwards don’t tend to kick a lot of goals.”

“He’s clearly a good forward, a natural forward,” Moore said of his son.

“The problem at Collingwood is he can’t get the ball enough in the forward line, you know they have trouble getting the ball to him.

“I think the thinking is to try to get him in the play more because he’s pretty effective when he’s got the ball.

“The feeling is if they can sort a forward line out that works then they’d like to play him a bit more behind the ball. But I think he’ll play both forward and back. I think they can’t make an arbitrary call on it.

I’d like to see him play forward, and then when they need him to, he could go back ... it’s probably a case of where he can serve the team best, and the coach has probably got to make that call.”
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Thats why elusive, quick agile forwards are at a premium. They are needed to score goals by weaving through congested forward lines.

Which brings me to Liverpool.

Liverpool play with 4 of the best forwards going around...Coutinho, Firmino, EPL leading goal scorer Salah and Sadio Mane....all established elite world class players.
Opposition teams stack their backlines ( park the bus ) and try to come out of games against Liverpool with Nil all Draws.

So this year we have not just 1 or 2 elite forwards but we have 4!! and teams just cant contain us at present, barring a couple hiccups but the Liverpool way is attack attack and attack.

If we had a forward line stacked with 4 or 5 elusive elite forwards then I bet we would score more than we would concede.

Food for thought.

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm

DP.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Talk at the member's forum was about Darcy down back. He's a young bloke who needs some time in the play.

They'd want to get Fas and Elliott back up and running to provide enough marking targets up forward along with Reid/Cox though.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:31 pm

When interviewed Crispy said he believes his role next yr as a half back
Hope we got room to fit em all in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: