Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#28 Nathan Murphy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The jungle drums are beating loudly that Murphy will be announcing his retirement due to concussion issues.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:32 am

Culprit wrote:
The jungle drums are beating loudly that Murphy will be announcing his retirement due to concussion issues.

Are you responding to the 3AW rumour file this morning? That an AFL player set to retire due to ongoing concussion issues.
I'll check with my source, but I was only recently told Murphy is expecting to play in 2024.

With Brayshaw's retirement, undoubtedly the focus on Murphy's health and wellbeing becomes greater.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:54 pm

I was told a Premiership player and put 2 & 2 together and came out wrong. It’s clearly Bradshaw not Murphy.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:26 pm

Latest update:

Quote:
Collingwood defender Nathan Murphy has taken "positive steps" towards a return to AFL football as he continues with his concussion struggles.

Despite winning a premiership medallion, Murphy has turned his focus to his wellbeing and ensuring he is doing everything in his power to return to the AFL.

"It's been a pretty big off-season and it's public knowledge at the moment that I am not probably in the right frame of mind to be playing AFL football," Murphy said on RSN.

"We've taken some really positive steps in the past couple of weeks, we've put a plan in place that I just need to tick off a few contact things and the aim is to get back out playing competitive football... which I'm really excited to be working towards.

"It's been tough but it's also been the best decision for me I think to get that frame of mind right.

"Still love football, I'm at the most amazing club I believe and best supported club in the industry... I've been so lucky, the club has been amazing for me and the boys have been awesome as well.

"They've allowed me to just be me and make this decision and get my mindset right."

https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood-defender-taking-positive-steps-toward-afl-return-148232/

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:32 pm

Make Darcy Moore look good by doing the hard work allowing Moore to be an unaccountable backman.
Without Murph, Moore is toast one-on-one

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:08 am

^ Moore's never been a good one-on-one defender.
His strength was always intercept marking. Losing Murphy has left him greatly exposed.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:36 am

As much as I hate to say it I think we've seen the last of Murphy. He's only one bump away from forced retirement anyway. A tragedy.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:49 am

If he’s not playing by the time the mid season draft comes along, then he had better retire
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:32 pm

We should have thrown everything to get Ben McKay if we had doubts about Murph.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:30 am

when the #$%@ is nathan back this is taking forever im sick of him missing games unneeded missing of games all becuase of these new concussion rules the afl has handed onto us.
time to play or the afl can give us compensation and pick a similar type of player from another club.
we are lossing because of it.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:50 am

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:
when the #$%@ is nathan back this is taking forever im sick of him missing games unneeded missing of games all becuase of these new concussion rules the afl has handed onto us.
time to play or the afl can give us compensation and pick a similar type of player from another club.

I don't think Nathan will ever be back. If I were his parent, I would be telling him to retire.
We have to get accustomed to a new defence which no longer includes Nathan Murphy.
This means that every player will have to assimilate a slightly different role and mindset.
Our coaches have shown that they can impart new habits and structures quickly and effectively in the past, I think this must happen now.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:53 am

Yep, sometimes it happens...old Tommy had crook knees, and now Spud has a crook head; a chronic injury is a chronic injury.
At least he leaves with a flag....which Tommy Future Captain did not....for reasons I won't rehash....

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:35 pm

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:

He's been cleared to play by all medicos. He's taking his time working on building his confidence back to be able to play the way he wants to play after getting a head knock early on in preseason training which knocked his confidence. He'll either come back or not, but either way it will be his decision.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:

He's been cleared to play by all medicos. He's taking his time working on building his confidence back to be able to play the way he wants to play after getting a head knock early on in preseason training which knocked his confidence. He'll either come back or not, but either way it will be his decision.

What is needed is some empathy and understanding from us fans for the reasons for his decision. I’ve said before that he’s too valuable a player to rush back just because we are frustrated at losing. We should be able to win without him surely? The others must lift and cover his role.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:27 pm

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:

Wow. Why so angry? He may get CTE out of this but would you care?
I have a son who played in the EFL in Melbourne. He got a couple of bad concussions and his doctor asked him straight up, "Do you plan to play professionally?" He said no, and the doctor said give the game up then. It's not worth the risk for the future.
I think there are lots of kids in this position in all the minor leagues. The time will have to come where players are mandated to wear helmets.
In any case, even if Murphy does come back his next concussion is certainly his last!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17   

Jump to: